Towing 3k lb Airstream (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been recruited to help a friend tow his new airstream home. Looking at about 2,500 to 3k lbs. I'm not super well versed in towing but have done a bit with my old 2500 Dodge.

Anyway, do I need to get a trailer brake controller? Apparently it has electric trailer brakes.

I've been recruited to help a friend tow his new airstream home. Looking at about 2,500 to 3k lbs. I'm not super well versed in towing but have done a bit with my old 2500 Dodge.

Anyway, do I need to get a trailer brake controller? Apparently it has electric trailer brakes.
They will HELP but not absolutely necessary if you are just doing the one transport. Towing capacity of LC/LX is between 5500 and 6500lbs depending on which hitch you have. A few years ago we towed a 5k travel trailer with the wife's 4Runner up the Oregon coast without trailer brake controller and had no issues.

For single use and that much weight, try a test run first. If you don't need it, good, since you'll need to install some wiring, a 7 pin receiver, and an electric brake controller too to enable the use of the trailer's electric brakes.

Got it. Thanks Gentlemen!

I towed my 3k + 2k challenger and trailer drove 400 miles to a race track with no problem.

Do they make Airstreams that light?

He bought a camper with out a means to tow it?

Do they make Airstreams that light?

He bought a camper with out a means to tow it?
Yeah the new BaseCamp versions are pretty small (think Casita or Scamp competitor) and lightweight. Hell I just found out that some of their bigger models now have a rear "door" that folds up (ala liftgate style).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom