Tow wiring harness for 97 FZJ80 suggestions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Saw a Matrix brand pretty much plug and play on Youtube but can't find for sale. Suggestions to tap into existing harness/plugs? Needs to have ebrake capability. Thanks

ebrake? you mean electric brake? If so you will need to run wires up to the controller. I would get a stock controller as I think it works on ground side.

Hey man, Seems like I read you can plug into the connectors and power the electronic brake, but I guess there is no controller? Bummer. I'm towing a 1200lb Honda civic on a 1000lb lightweight trailer. Think I'd need ebrakes? I know emergency stops = yes. I've towed more in my firewood trailer but not highway to Tulsa. Thanks. You da man!!!!

I don’t think brakes are needed for 2200#. Towed 3 dual sports on my utility trailer to CO loaded with gear and 4 guys without.

I just reread me message -- it was a little confusing.... let me try again.

If you are looking for electric brakes, you will need a controller up in the cab. I don't disagree with cjmoon; however, whenever I tow a vehicle, I prefer having electric brakes.

If you just want the trailer lights to work, I would recommend getting the stock little box that is in the rear passenger side of the cabin that plugs into the wiring, then you run a wire under the carpet to the driver side. I think the lights works on ground side, so not as easy as your dad's ford fairlane.

Aftermarket makes a universal Toyota one. That plugs in. Stock are known for having issues as they age. I had my crossover under the carpet run and ground out causing issues at one point also.

It’s not that they use ground but have to combine blinker and brake into one signal that’s why you have to have a box and not a find the wire type of thing.

Aftermarket makes a universal Toyota one. That plugs in. Stock are known for having issues as they age. I had my crossover under the carpet run and ground out causing issues at one point also.

Hey CJ, is aftermarket the brand or do you know the brand? The plug and play I saw used the connector underneath by the rear diff but it was an australian rig. You could pull those connectors apart and it left three open connectors. There was one new plug for each of the three resulting plugs and 7 wires hanging new free, plug in the connectors, then you just screw each wire into the color coded spot at the hitch connector. Done! It was sweet. (Matrix brand) But I can't find it on-line. I'm happy to use the box 2F recommends. Main thing is I hate using the squeeze/pinch wire taps on OEM wiring. Just creates a possible new problem and every one of those. Thanks!

I got one from eTrailer.com. plug and play if I recall correctly.

Plugs in inside the RR fender.

I got one from eTrailer.com. plug and play if I recall correctly.

Plugs in inside the RR fender.
Thanks Built! I ordered the plug and play for a flat and already have a 4 to 7 adapter. Thanks to all who chimed in. David.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom