tow rig tech (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so, I modified my new tow rig...
downpipe and delete tube.jpg
PICT0025.jpg
PICT0022.jpg

the dreaded DPF and DOC are rendered inert. the tiny tuner below adds 250hp over the stock 306 at the wheels. over 1100ft/lbs of torque. I honestly can't keep the rear wheels connected to the pavement in 1st gear and half of 2nd.:eek:
minimaxx.jpg

thought everyone knew, it's a Matterson wood stove...oh wait. :D

'08 Ford F350, 6.4l Powerstroke Lariat. got it in Texas. I was looking at Dodge, but the transmissions aren't very good when you tune up the engine. the Ford's are running up to 345hp over stock on stock trannys (not racing or sled pulling).

the tuners now are so amazing. I can watch 4-5 engine parameters that I don't have stock gauges for(and choose from 20 different ones). you can custom set defuel settings (safety back downs) for too high of EGT, Boost, Trans. Temp, and Coolant Temp. I don't have it dialed in fully yet, and still have an intake system and after market intercooler pipe to install.
truck 002.jpg
truck 003.jpg

1100 ft-lb, HOLY COW!!! There went the fuel econ and longevity of the engine!

So.... the question is: Will Jill's camper fit?
-Mike-

1100 ft-lb, HOLY COW!!! There went the fuel econ and longevity of the engine!

actually, I went from 14mpg at best to 25mpg or so. I still have to see what this fill up gets me, but I expect 22mpg or better. the longevity of the engine is way better. the regen system I pulled out, dilutes the oil with raw fuel.

So.... the question is: Will Jill's camper fit?
-Mike-

yes, that was a prerequisite to which truck to buy.:D

i jsut figured you were getting a gooseneck and bionic was getting a sibling! :cool::lol::rolleyes:

funny you should mention... this rig has a factory gooseneck hideaway hitch. maybe I should get a....:popcorn:

In thinking of longevity of the the engine, I'd be more concerned with fatigue. More torque, more stress.

Here's a somewhat technical paper on Fatigue.

"The significance of the fatigue limit is that if the material is loaded below this stress, then it will not fail, regardless of the number of times it is loaded."

Okay, it gets a little more than "somewhat" technical toward the bottom, but the point is it's possible that some engine components are stressed below the fatigue limit, but by increasing the engine output you go above that limit.

it all depends on how you drive it. I'm not racing the truck or doing sled pulls like some guys in the midwest. also not street racing it, obviously. the engine is designed to handle more power than I have it tuned to also. there's a guy with a diesel performance shop running 1190whp on nitrous in his. obviously, it has a built tranny, head studs, etc, but the bottom end is still stock. and he just upped it to over 1200hp at the wheels this last weekend (said the dyno couldn't read the torque):eek:

here's a cool vid of it. disregard the other truck that has a nitrous backfire.

YouTube - KEMTUNED1074at13376.MP4

it all depends on how you drive it. I'm not racing the truck or doing sled pulls like some guys in the midwest. also not street racing it, obviously. the engine is designed to handle more power than I have it tuned to also. there's a guy with a diesel performance shop running 1190whp on nitrous in his. obviously, it has a built tranny, head studs, etc, but the bottom end is still stock. and he just upped it to over 1200hp at the wheels this last weekend (said the dyno couldn't read the torque):eek:

here's a cool vid of it. disregard the other truck that has a nitrous backfire.

YouTube - KEMTUNED1074at13376.MP4

so is your primary motivation for "tuning" it is fuel economy? 20mpg+ is rather awesome if you can sustain that at our hwy speeds of 70mph or greater.

so is your primary motivation for "tuning" it is fuel economy? 20mpg+ is rather awesome if you can sustain that at our hwy speeds of 70mph or greater.

that is the primary goal, plus towing ability and increased longevity. my mileage so far is all IN TOWN and is still above 25mpg. I'm very happy with that!:D

BUT, it's nice to know that if you need it, the power is there.:D
93C_peelout[1].gif

at the meeting Sat, I'll take anyone that wants for a ride.

that is the primary goal, plus towing ability and increased longevity. my mileage so far is all IN TOWN and is still above 25mpg. I'm very happy with that!:D

I'm dying to know what a cruising speed on the hwy produces in the mpg dept. I bet you'll be lucky to see 20 doing 75mph, which is still awesome. Let us know when you find out.

With all that weight over the rear wheels it just might do a wheelie.

I'm dying to know what a cruising speed on the hwy produces in the mpg dept. I bet you'll be lucky to see 20 doing 75mph, which is still awesome. Let us know when you find out.

I will. it got about 15-16 at 75 stock on the drive back to NM from Tx. my guess will be 22-24. they say best milage is 60-65 on the highway. I'll do a little at 75 on the way home tomorrow on Paseo del Volcan and see where the milage creeps.

Load up Jill's camper and we'll all go for a ride at the same time. ;)
With all that weight over the rear wheels it just might do a wheelie.

I bet it wouldn't spin tires, but the camper would slide off the bed, bolted down or not.:lol: or a wheelie. we'd have to get that on video!

more pics coming, I put in the intake system and an intercooler pipe today. surprising I got it done, we ran 5 calls by 3pm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom