Tow rating max on BJ42?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought a 21' Foot boat in total with trailer about 2800lbs. Anyone know what the max towing rating is on a BJ42? Didnt know if there was any diff between FJ or BJ? I have OME heavies front and rear and entire vehicle is totally restored to include brakes and I am guess vehicle weighs in around 4200lbs? right now the trailer is a galvanized with no electric or surge brakes and I plan on swapping to an aluminum with brakes.

thanks
Rob

I guess there's two questions there really, what's legal, and what's comfortable.

I've towed that much with my 42, it's slow as hell, but was pretty solid. No tail wagging the dog or anything like that. I had 4 wheel discs at the time, and had no issues stopping. ( no brakes on trailer either)

However, I think the max tow rating is only 2000. ( at least that's the number I recall, could be wrong)

cheers,
r

thanks brother, I thought I read somwehwere 2000 was the number, i guess like u said its all about what someone is comfortable with, take it slow i guess.

thanks
R

IIR the calculation is 50% of the GVW of the towing vehicle , All my JDMs have a 500KG sticker on the back but that may be a Japanese max regulation, I would not not be comfortable without surge device on the trailer at that weight but thats me we have lots of steep mountain passes here in B.C. and I have cooked brakes before going down long climbs and it gets scary when they start fading on you.

Are you talking about using a frame-mounted tow bar or a ball hitch bolted to the rear frame member? I think it makes a difference.

I have the MAF 4+ rear tire carrier/ cooler/ fuel can holder that has integrated 2" reciever hitch so then I would pulling boat with reciever hitch and ball. The MAF is bolted directly to rear crossmember

R

IIR the calculation is 50% of the GVW of the towing vehicle , All my JDMs have a 500KG sticker on the back but that may be a Japanese max regulation, I would not not be comfortable without surge device on the trailer at that weight but thats me we have lots of steep mountain passes here in B.C. and I have cooked brakes before going down long climbs and it gets scary when they start fading on you.

There is no 50% calculation, that 500kg sticker is for load inside the vehicle. In other countries the BJ42 can legally tow around 3-4 ton. Fully braked of course.

Do not use the brakes to control your speed towing downhill. Use the gears.

This topic has been done before. https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/218541-1982-bj-42-towing-capacity.html

Last edited:
Towing weights are sometimes regulated by whether or not you have trailer brakes. Washington doesn't care what you tow with but beyond 3000 lbs you better have trailer brakes. There are other regulations once you reach a certain weight but at that point your rig would be beyond dangerous. And personally I think surge brakes suck, use electric besides they have breakaway protection. They lock up if you lose the trailer god forbid.

Now should you tow that much with a BJ42? Your call but I sure wouldn't, not with Toyota brakes anyway.

A word of caution. Towing weights down under were higher due to the availability of Full Float axles which can handle a much higher tongue weight than a semi float. These rigs have a max Gross Axle Weight Rating I wouldn't exceed it.

Tony

Ive pulled my 4000lb trailer around for camping and I must say, my wife tried to drive and started to cry in about 45 seconds. Truck and trailer grossed out at 9500. That being said it was fine. Braking was my only complaint so ive added an exhaust brake to the to do list. These trucks really have inadequate braking stock, and I have 33s on. Heading over to Tofino last year there is a little 1km long hill at 18% grade. That was one spicy meatball ill tell ya...
g

I read through that thread Dougal and It was awesome! I love it when there is a fight cus everyone gets so jazzed up and their panties are like all riding high in their cracks but all they want to do is scragg on each other, but they cant cus their mostly adults so they scrounge for info from all over the world to try and throw that in the other guys face, but it never seems to end and goes on and on and on... Its great to see all this wonderful information in one location. By the way I had my tonsills out the other day. Does percocet make you loopy or what:eek:
g

I read through that thread Dougal and It was awesome! I love it when there is a fight cus everyone gets so jazzed up and their panties are like all riding high in their cracks but all they want to do is scragg on each other, but they cant cus their mostly adults so they scrounge for info from all over the world to try and throw that in the other guys face, but it never seems to end and goes on and on and on... Its great to see all this wonderful information in one location. By the way I had my tonsills out the other day. Does percocet make you loopy or what:eek:
g

That's probably one of the worst threads that didn't get deleted by mods. Unfortunately there's some good info inside from around the globe. Maybe I should just give in and install 7.xx ring and pinions so I can double my tow rating.:popcorn:

Carefull Dougal or I will get Crusher involved in this...LOL
The 50% is a local guideline for non assisted braking I cannot find a link for it but obviously it differs around the world.
As for the 500kgs if I could read Japenese fluantly I could translate it but it is on all my 4* as well as my 6* so I am puzzled why they are rated the same being two completely differemt body styles but they are alway stickered on the back of the vehicle and all of them have been equiped with a pintol hook.(If it is carrying weight than that is not much compared to what we stuff in our cruiser here in Canada)
Using your gears to control speed will work on a hill but if you were to drive down some of the high mountain passes we have here in B.C. using your gears to control speed does not work the momentum builds up to where you have to start relying on the brake pedal and that is without having a trailer pushing you down hill.
If you are going to tow your boat with your 42 I would highly recomend some braking assisted system the problem with the 42 being 24 volt you eliminate the use of any electronic braking system.

Last edited:
Naw. Its all good. I cant over state, on the towing topic, how much I dislike my trucks braking ability. Its really the only thing now I can complain about, hence the exhaust brake. I have a strange suspicion that its going to find/create a lot of exhaust leaks. And my wife already complains that my truck is stinky as it is:doh:
g

The vast majority of the cars on NZ roads are used japanese imports and all the 4x4's and commercial vehicles get those stickers. My little work car comes with a 400kg sticker which surprisingly is the same one you'll find on the back of an 80 series landcruiser. No vehicles come out of japan with towbars.

The 400kg sticker on this one is bottom left corner of the tailgate:
IMGP0426.jpg

I haven't seen an unbraked trailer rating any higher than 750kg for a 4 wheeled passenger vehicle, but that doesn't really cause any problems here as aside from light garden trailers over-run brakes are very common. There are definitely a few boat trailers around that would run foul of the laws.

If you are going to tow your boat with your 42 I would highly recomend some braking assisted system the problem with the 42 being 24 volt you eliminate the use of any electronic braking system.

DC to DC converter. We frequently have the need on boats to run 24V and 12V systems at the same time. Don't see why you couldn't do the same on a 24V rig. Here is the link to the Waeco website. Yep its the same people who make the fridges you see in rigs including mine http://www.waeco.com/EN/3782.php They sell converters that go either way and different amp ratings.

One other thing, don't run electric brakes into the water, especially salt water which is a bit of a dilemna for a boat trailer.

Tony

Last edited:
Naw. Its all good. I cant over state, on the towing topic, how much I dislike my trucks braking ability. Its really the only thing now I can complain about, hence the exhaust brake. I have a strange suspicion that its going to find/create a lot of exhaust leaks. And my wife already complains that my truck is stinky as it is:doh:
g

You might look to Hino trucks for a source of an exhaust brake. They did have one for a smaller engine. But remember a true exhaust brake is a bit more complicated than restricting the exhaust, the system also has to cut off or stop feeding fuel to the engine.

At one point I believe Japan 4x4 posted something about exhaust brakes for our small Toyota engines.

Tony

dieseler, the decal says load capacity, Jdm 40 and 41 have 400 kg, 44 and 46 have 500 kg. still looking for the 500 kg decal for mine, only found the 400 kg at SOR..

----------------

As for the 500kgs if I could read Japenese fluantly I could translate it but it is on all my 4* as well as my 6* so I am puzzled why they are rated the same being two completely differemt body styles but they are alway stickered on the back of the vehicle and all of them have been equiped with a pintol hook.(If it is carrying weight than that is not much compared to what we stuff in our cruiser here in Canada)

I picked up an NPR 3.9 issuzu exhaust brake and was just going to hook it up to a solenoid to activate the vacuum manually. Shutting the fuel off would be a great idea. Id need to include in (in the selonoid wiring) the shut off command for the edic to kill the fuel I guess? Now electrical stuff is not my strong suit. This is something I hadent really thought much about. Ideas?
I got the exhaust brake butterfly/ diaphragm unit for 50 bucks off ebay. Its 2.5 inch in and out
g

I wouldn't worry about the fuel shutoff. The NPR trucks don't and idle fuel quantities aren't going to make any noticable difference.

You could get a throttle micro switch like the ricers use for activating nitrous systems at wide open throttle. Except you mount it to activate/closed when the throttle is in the idle position. Wire it up as part of the circuit that activates the exhaust brake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom