Tow rating max on BJ42?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i would ask how far you are towing and over what terrain. if you are towing on flat short distances then the ABILITY to tow SAFELY and COMFORTABLY is different than over a mountain pass numerous times.

yeah really no muontains in my area, I am on coast area, will be mostly short and if long then will make a road trip out of it, will try short first and see how she does, if not I will to buy something that can pull it. Mine is however an overseas from AUS BJ and has the full float rear and I did buy a new Toyota exhaust brake from Japan 4x4 that was factory on some Coaster busesrunning 3B's and 1HDT's but have not installed yet. I only wish I did not swap my 4.11's out for 3.70's, will be swapping back out as soon as possible

Thanks
R

I tow all the BC COASTAL MOUNTAINS which are almost as Big as your EGO wayne. Going UP hills is the easy part. Coming DOWN is another story.

Just so everyone knows, ive got a 62 with HEAVY springs, ANTI sway bars pulling a 24FT travel trailer with the axels OFFSET back ,LOAD levelers, ELECTRIC brakes and maybe some day an EXHAUST brake for the truck.

g

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about the fuel shutoff. The NPR trucks don't and idle fuel quantities aren't going to make any noticable difference.

But do the NPR trucks have an injection pump that is controlled by vacuum and mechanical governor like the 3B? Running down hill a 3B in gear will add fuel to the system. Wouldn't the governor in the injection pump add fuel due to engine RPM?

How did those coaster buses with 3B's deal with the issue

Tony

But do the NPR trucks have an injection pump that is controlled by vacuum and mechanical governor like the 3B? Running down hill a 3B in gear will add fuel to the system. Wouldn't the governor in the injection pump add fuel due to engine RPM?

How did those coaster buses with 3B's deal with the issue

Tony

The NPR's use the same injector pump but with a mechanical governor. Neither that nor the 3B governor will add fuel downhill, they pull back fuel as much as they can on over-run.

The NPR's have an on/off switch for the brake and a switch on the accelerator and clutch pedal. You need the switch on, the accelerator and clutch both released for the brake to activate. A simple series circuit through all three switches will work fine.

and that is the best way to tell, 2800 lbs is no real big weight but the 40 is a short wheel base, even the mid wheel base is short in comparison to a full size truck and you don't want to get squirly coming down a hill.
i have towed heavy weights behind a 40 over the years, bringing a dead 40 back on a tow bar behind a 40. a load of green logs. load of stone but that doesn't mean i recommend it. when i was young and stupid and didn't give a rats ass about others on the road SHOULD something go sideways then i would push the envelope. now, i would recommend that you stick with what is comfortable. give it a shot, if you feel comfortable and in control then carry on. if at ANY time you feel that this could become out of control and you could risk your passengers or others on the road then rethink what you are doing.

for heavy loads i have the old dodge or powersmoke, vehicles that have the weight, the wheel base and the brakeing designed for heavier loads.

but that is just me.

lets put it this way, if MY WIFE said this is bull**** after 45 secs i think i would put my EGO away and reconsider what i was doing. taking into consideration my wife is also a mountain wheeler makes a difference in that decision.

of course, if someone needs a piece of paper to prove a 40 can pull 8000 lbs then in Iceland they rate the 40 at 2 ton towing capacity.

i think your test will show you what you and your truck are comfortable with, and there is no better test. 2800 lbs is under the 3000 lbs i recommend as a max for a cruiser. no i don't have a piece of paper to show you. i have decades of Land Cruiser experience though if that is of any merit.
FF vs SF, the only real difference would be the ability to haul tongue weight. the braking capability is the same for both. the tongue weight is supposed to be 1/10th of the weight of the load so for you to NEED a FF rear to do towing then you are WAY over the legal recommendation for ANY trailer behind a 40.

since it came with a FF then that is just a nice bonus.

cheers and safe trip.
yeah really no muontains in my area, I am on coast area, will be mostly short and if long then will make a road trip out of it, will try short first and see how she does, if not I will to buy something that can pull it. Mine is however an overseas from AUS BJ and has the full float rear and I did buy a new Toyota exhaust brake from Japan 4x4 that was factory on some Coaster busesrunning 3B's and 1HDT's but have not installed yet. I only wish I did not swap my 4.11's out for 3.70's, will be swapping back out as soon as possible

Thanks
R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom