Tow Hook? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys,

I found these accouterments in my truck recently. I assume the hook is for towing or pulling, not sure about the brackets. Can anyone shed light on what these are and if they are OEM?

Thanks!
NicB

IMG_8751_zpskny5xqkg.jpg

fore runner and fj 60 or 62 goes under the frame and is curled up so the strap or chain stays on probably used on other vehicles as well never owned a 100 series so dont know what they use .have a coffee can full of them

Great, thanks guys. I hav some extra bolts for attaching the trailer receiver, think I can use them to install these or do I need something different? Any idea where these might attach or would that be clear if I get under the truck?

Don't use just regular bolts. Last thing you want is cheap bolts failing when you need to pull your truck out of something with these. Believe stock uses grade 8.

They go on the corner of the rear bumper, the hook will fit on one of them. I don't recall which side the hook goes on from the factory.

Yes, those are frame mounted tie downs for strapping the Cruiser down during overseas transit in a shipping container. While not a proper recovery point for yanking on, in a pinch, they can be used with caution. I would suggest buying the nice beefy ones from Trail Tailor @reevesci as his are the undisputed king of brackets Stateside.

I used my factory tie downs a few times to get me out of a jam or two. But I used a slow pull on a winch line and used a bridle between the two to spread the load. They can be used for light recovery in a pinch, but they are not a proper rated recovery point.

Hi guys, hate resurrecting old threads but was cleaning my work bench and found the recovery hook from the original picture above. Can I use these two bolts (grade 11 based on markings) in the frame on the front driver side to attach the extra hook I have? I know these aren’t beefy recovery points, but I already have a hook on the passenger side with the same bolts and it’s either scrap metal or have a second point to distribute weight better in the event of a tow (I’m talking an urban tow, not and stuck in mud up to axles pull). Thoughts? I assume these bolts are just not being used (not supporting anything). Is this accurate?

I’m sure they will work but ......
They are not for towing and will eventually break and possibly hurt someone

Think of that piece flying through the air towards the truck and passenger opposite you

I have the mounts mentioned from trail tailer and they are SOOO much more stout than the stock ones

Hi guys, hate resurrecting old threads but was cleaning my work bench and found the recovery hook from the original picture above. Can I use these two bolts (grade 11 based on markings) in the frame on the front driver side to attach the extra hook I have? I know these aren’t beefy recovery points, but I already have a hook on the passenger side with the same bolts and it’s either scrap metal or have a second point to distribute weight better in the event of a tow (I’m talking an urban tow, not and stuck in mud up to axles pull). Thoughts? I assume these bolts are just not being used (not supporting anything). Is this accurate?

You CAN use them... if you're wondering if they are a good idea or not, you've likely not spent too much time on decent trails. That is not a knock, but once you've been good and stuck a few times, with the truck in a precarious way or risk of damage to the vehicle most fella's start to look into quality recovery systems.

Will that tow hook be better than nothing? Sure. Is it the best option for a hard recovery when you REALLY need to pull/yank on the rig... probably not.

I am in the camp that any hook is better than NO hook, but I am also a big fan of spending good money on safety items.

Bolt them up, but save up for better kit in the near future... kinda like a good first aid kit and or fire extinguisher.

I know there are better options out there, but unless I start off-roading hard core, it’s either this or nothing (unless there was a reasonable cost option, which I’m not aware of currently — open to ideas here). Sadly, the toughest terrain my Cruiser sees are forest access roads and the occasional field while hunting. Ive never even come close to getting stuck with 4H, let alone 4L or with the CDL engaged..

Is it safe to assume the bolts currently in the subframe are just extras that don’t serve any purpose? I didn’t see anything else they seem connected to, but man, they are really in there right. I had to use a breaker bar to loosen them and even they are still dang tight.

I know there are better options out there, but unless I start off-roading hard core, it’s either this or nothing (unless there was a reasonable cost option, which I’m not aware of currently — open to ideas here). Sadly, the toughest terrain my Cruiser sees are forest access roads and the occasional field while hunting. Ive never even come close to getting stuck with 4H, let alone 4L or with the CDL engaged..

Is it safe to assume the bolts currently in the subframe are just extras that don’t serve any purpose? I didn’t see anything else they seem connected to, but man, they are really in there right. I had to use a breaker bar to loosen them and even they are still dang tight.

I think these will serve you well then! I used a set like that on the front of my 40 for years, you'll get tired of a strap falling off them but yes, they'll get you out better than a strap around the axle and pinching a brake line.

Yes, the bolts should be rated for a pull (Likely there for a tow hitch option)... just make sure before yanking on them. Otherwise you are correct, they are not serving another purpose. Do make sure they grab about 1/2" of threads to hold tight. LocTite wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Well, I got the bolts out. They were so tight I had to use a breaker bar the entire way. They were hot to touch by the time I got them out. I oiled them, then mounted up the tow hook and added some loctite, but when I torqued the bolts to 116 ftlbs (which is recommended spec for Toyota grade 11 bolts), they stripped out (perhaps because they were rusty??). Honestly, I'm not sure if the bolts stripped, the weld nuts inside the frame stripped, or both. I was hesitant to put that much torque on them, but I felt like for a two point I needed properly torqued bolts.

Think I can re-tap/thread the weld nuts and put new bolts in or am I hosed? Also, what are the odds I ruined the weld nuts in the frame? Pic below.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom