1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tow bar

Discussion in 'Camping & Outdoor Gear' started by cruiserwanted, Feb 22, 2004.

1. cruiserwanted

cruiserwanted

Anyone have a tow bar mounted on their FJ40? Where did you get yours? What brand do you recommend? How did your mount it? Did you drill holes into the bumper? Mount to bumper triangle (gussets) or did your take it all off and mount it to the frame? Thanks for all the help. :cheers:

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Uhaul has ones that you can rent, along with car dollies... I would look into the dolly...

Good luck!

-Steve

3. Mike S

Mike S

I have a bumper mounted tow bar on my CJ2A, and have towed it thousands of miles with zero problems. This bar is adjustable and attaches to the bumper with a couple of U brackets and 1/2" pins. The thing articulates in a couple of directions.

The CJ only weighs about 2200 lbs., has FF axles and locking hubs on all four corners - behind the Expedition, I hardly know it's there. An FJ40 weighs a LOT more than a CJ2A... and you will be spinning your diff /t case/tranny if you flat tow without disconnecting your rear drivehaft.

4. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

I have the Smittybuilt one-piece tow bar that SOR sells.
    I do not have the stock bumper so I had to bend/modify the mounts a little bit, if you have a flat front bumper this is not an issue.
    Its great-tows at 90 no problem, I've had it all over GA and NC flat towed, even around town is not bad. I never remove the rear d-shaft, I just put the t-case in neutral.
    The only thing that you need in order to tow well is good caster. I added 2.5 shims after my 4 inch lift and never have any issues.

5. Junk

Junk

Had one and gave it away. They are cheap and easy to find.