Tow bar options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for tow bar options for 82 FJ60. Can one be mounted direct to factory bumper similar to pic?
My FJ is the red one.

Tow bar.jpeg

Front.jpg

I mounted the bracket bar to the bottom of my FJ40 bumper, so I would not deface the visible face of the front bumper. Consider doing that if your tow bar setup allows.

A few extra holes in the bottom of a bumper are not nearly as visible as holes in the front.

I mounted the bracket bar to the bottom of my FJ40 bumper, so I would not deface the visible face of the front bumper. Consider doing that if your tow bar setup allows.

A few extra holes in the bottom of a bumper are not nearly as visible as holes in the front.
Good idea. Would you mind sharing pics?

Before you rig a tow bar to use on public roads, check your local laws. For example here in B.C., the law considers the vehicle to be a trailer in these circumstances, if it weighs more than 50% of the net weight of the towing vehicle or more than 1400 kg., brakes are required. These brakes must be self applying or operated by the driver of the towing vehicle, and you may not have a person on or in the vehicle. Many jurisdictions have very similar towing laws.
Just FYI....

Don't laugh - my tow bar brackets were part of a Western snow plow mount on a Ford pickup. The hole spacing perfectly matched my tow bar spacing and it was beefy. There is a long, reinforced bar under the bumper and the actual brackets stick up and in front of the bumper itself. Pretty slick, for being a hillbilly fab job. That's my trickle charger wire stuck through the right side bracket.

DSCN4056.JPG

DSCN4053.JPG

Don't laugh - my tow bar brackets were part of a Western snow plow mount on a Ford pickup. The hole spacing perfectly matched my tow bar spacing and it was beefy. There is a long, reinforced bar under the bumper and the actual brackets stick up and in front of the bumper itself. Pretty slick, for being a hillbilly fab job. That's my trickle charger wire stuck through the right side bracket.

View attachment 2418513

View attachment 2418514
That’s a good looking rig. Thanks for sharing!

We have so many forest fires in Colo., I wanted the ability to tow it away from my house while I drive another vehicle. Sad, but true.

I wouldn't want to rely on the strength of my bumper to run a tow bar off of. You should be connecting to the frame for the safest setup. or at least have brackets that mount the the frame ad back up to the bumper and sandwhich the bumper.

I agree w Seth. The bumper was designed to bend and crumple on impact— not to pull the vehicle by its nose

@OSS @Seth S @SteveH

I disassembled my front bumper not too long ago. I will be tow-bar'ring my FJ62 from CA to MT.

Do any of you have tips with the FJ62 in terms of whether I need to just put the Transfer Case in Neutral? Or does the tow bar - towing require that I take off the driveshaft (front or rear)?

My brother in law tow-bars his Jeep behind his RV and said I should be able to put the LC Transfercase in Neutral and the Transmission in Park.

Right now I have a Harbor Freight Tow Bar, some chains and lights to attach to the LC for safety.

Thanks!!

Read the owners manual. I don't believe you can flat tow an FJ62 with an automatic transmission any great distance because you will fry the transmission. For safety, pull the rear driveshaft and unlock the front hubs. If you do this, nothing else matters. I would also completely remove the rear driveshaft, rather than tying one end up under the truck. You can always lock the hubs and engage 4WD for minimal driving while flat-towing, without reinstalling the rear driveshaft.

On some/most (?) Land Cruisers, putting the xfer case in neutral connects the front/rear driveshafts, which means more stuff spinning under the truck if you flat tow.

If I were going to flat tow a long distance I would just disconnect the rear driveshaft and make sure the front hubs were unlocked. Even better invest in a tow dolly and disconnect the rear drive shaft....tow dollys work nicely as long as you dont have to back up...but reduces the spinning bits down to just the rear wheels.

Hi @SteveH , I have the FSM and could not find anything in there about flat towing.

Unfortunately I do not have a owners manual and tried finding one under PDFs.

@Seth S yeah that's what I was thinking. Would I need to do anything else in terms of transfer case or transmission?

Unfortunately I leave Saturday, so not really enough time to buy a dolly.

This is where I am at so far in the process. Very professional install.

IMG_20200924_100454818.jpg

IMG_20200924_100505856.jpg

Hi @SteveH , I have the FSM and could not find anything in there about flat towing.

Unfortunately I do not have a owners manual and tried finding one under PDFs.

@Seth S yeah that's what I was thinking. Would I need to do anything else in terms of transfer case or transmission?

Unfortunately I leave Saturday, so not really enough time to buy a dolly.

If you dont get the tow bar set up in time Uhaul does rent the dolly's

hahahahahh @Seth S uhaul is the reason I am in this predicament. They have NO dollys or auto-transporters within 250 miles of me. So I had to get creative so I could move my LC with me out to Montana. And the best / only option I found was to flat tow (OR pay $1,000 to a car transport company).

hahahahahh @Seth S uhaul is the reason I am in this predicament. They have NO dollys or auto-transporters within 250 miles of me. So I had to get creative so I could move my LC with me out to Montana. And the best / only option I found was to flat tow (OR pay $1,000 to a car transport company).

Aha....No good deed goes unpunished ;)

google image

1600972664196.png

Your current setup looks on the lighter side of what I'd feel comfortable with but it sounds like time is not on your side at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom