Tow an FJ40 with an FJ Cruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not sure what forum is appropriate for this question, but here goes - Is there any forseeable problem using an FJ Cruiser to tow an FJ40? The trails around here about 3 hours away, and driving the FJ40 all that distance is a bit undesirable. Any advice appreciated.

yldbill said:
Cowboy Up and drive the 40! I've put close to 80,000 on my 40 (daily driver) and I live in the Phoenix area.

I love the rig, but it is fatiguing to drive it at highway speeds for long stretches. She is loud! :grinpimp:

I don't know the tow rating of the FJ but we have towed our 40 on a medium trailer with our 470. It is _right_ at the tow limit. I would definately not do any big hills- and we have a lot of them around here. Proper placement of the 40 on the trailer is key to avoiding trailer wag.

Know what you mean about being worn out after a long drive in the 40!

greytandy said:
I love the rig, but it is fatiguing to drive it at highway speeds for long stretches. She is loud! :grinpimp:

Get nice seats, and lots of sound deadening. Might be able to make it more forgiving.

The listed tow rating for the FJC is 5000 lbs. Are going to flat tow the 40 or trailer it?

NorCal Cruiser said:
The listed tow rating for the FJC is 5000 lbs. Are going to flat tow the 40 or trailer it?

I was going to trailer it as I didn't think it could be flat towed. Can you flat tow a 40?

Yes you can. Remove the drive shaft. My FIL does it all the time. We had trouble with ours not tracking correctly though. It wouldn't come back to "neutral" state after a turn.

If the tow rating of the FJ Cruiser is 5K then I highly doubt you'll be under that with a typical 40 series on a trailer. I'd expect at least 6k with trailer if not more. IMHO the FJ Cruiser is not a suitable tow rig for towing an FJ40 safely. There is no way in hell I'd flat tow a 40 with one. The FJ Cruiser is too light: the 40 will most likely push it around under braking and through turns. You don't need a 1 ton diesel dually like the folks over on Pirate will recommend but I do think you should use more truck than an FJ Cruiser for towing an FJ40 that kind of distance...

I used to DD my 40 as well. For long trips (Paragon was 6 hours from Boston) foam ear plugs are a beautiful thing. The orange colored jobs from EAR are the most comfortable for extended lengths of time...

HTH,
Nick

zebrabeefj40 said:
I used to DD my 40 as well. For long trips (Paragon was 6 hours from Boston) foam ear plugs are a beautiful thing. The orange colored jobs from EAR are the most comfortable for extended lengths of time...

I don't care who you are, that there is funny. :) Paragon is my target as well. Ear plugs are an obvious (and funny) rec.

greytandy said:
I don't care who you are, that there is funny. :) Paragon is my target as well. Ear plugs are an obvious (and funny) rec.
I take it you've never tried them then... :) After you do you might understand why it is a serious suggestion. :D They really do make a difference...

:cheers:
Nick

greytandy said:
Where does one find "sound deadening"? The bench seats ain't so bad.

Been talked about on the 60 forum quite a bit. I would do a search on there. Dyna mat is one.

But there is also a liquid paint on one. Not sure the brand name.

Ear plugs work. I use earplugs when I have to drive on a hot day with the windows open. I hate wind blowing in my ears. But hard to carry out a conversation with them on.

Does your 40 have a rubber floor? Did any of them have it?

brownbear said:
Does your 40 have a rubber floor? Did any of them have it?

Metal floor with some badly peeling "protectant". I put in a tuff liner mat which does help a bit. Ear plugs may be the way to go.

Saw a guy at GSMTR this year that towed a 40 with a FJC. No top or doors probably helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom