Tow 2000lb with a bj42?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to get a vw Thing here from about 300 miles away and I wanna flat tow it with the BJ42.

The Thing weighs 2000 pounds.

I've read (and participated in) the towing threads in the past and while I think the consensus is that the 40 is rated for that load, it might not always be a good idea. So, the question is, would YOU do it??

I pulled a 4500lb uhaul with a 72 FJ40 1800 miles... @ 45 mph. It wasn't scary, just slow.

i'd be flat towing, no trailer. I could probably avoid major highways.

Id be most worried about braking power

Scarrrrrry
Tow vehicle weight should be 2+ times the weight of vehicle towed unless you are going to drive 5mph I would not do it,if you do make sure the tow trailer has a braking system on it.

Scarrrrrry
Tow vehicle weight should be 2+ times the weight of vehicle towed unless you are going to drive 5mph I would not do it,if you do make sure the tow trailer has a braking system on it.

Fair enough. Isn't a 40 like 5000 pounds though?

Scarrrrrry

I would agree...you are marginal at best, and with drum brakes it would be risky. Cruiser weighs 4000# nominally, VW is 2000#, meaning you are moving 6000#...all with the little diesel. If it were my call, I'd say rent a truck from U-haul or someone, and possibly a dolly or trailer.

i towed my friends 2 door blazer behind my f150, never went over 45 mph had to tow him about 10 miles, tranny was constantly shifting gears, had to take it out of OD, braking SUCKED. i cant imagine towing something with my 40, when my 40 is done im either gonna have to re-gear my truck to be able to tow or sell it and buy something else, or if im lucky borrow my dads truck to bring it any where far.

i would just go rent a vehicle if possible or get a trailer with brakes from some where.

My brother, a buddy, and I (when we were a lot younger mind you) flat towed a 40 (to sell) from Minnesota to Colorado behind another 40.

Luckily no mishaps, mechanical or otherwise.

Reminiscing it was a fun trip. Three guys heading out west with no top on the 40.

Would I recommend it? No. Was it fun at the time? Hell yeah!

So it can be done. A lot depends on how congested and crazy the route you'll be taking is. We stayed on the interstate the whole way, including through Minneapolis and Denver.

I wouldn't think twice about towing it with my 40. 350 Chevy and 4-wheel discs made towing and even stopping with 4000 lbs fairly easy.

I think with your rig I'd find a car trailer with brakes though.

I regularly tow 2 bombardier ATVs (around 900 pounds + trailer 300 pounds) with a 90 Series and with my FJ40. Almost all roads around here are mountain roads (lots of uphill, downhill and 4000 ft above sea level or more). My experience:

1. It will not stop in the distance you would like - go slow
2. It will not turn (especially downhill) if you are braking hard (tail tries to go faster than the rest of the car) - go slow
3. A lot of 1st gear driving - watch the engine temp and oil pressure

Having said that, I would NEVER get in a US freeway towing something that weighs more than 30% of the vehicle, side winds and high speeds (more than 30 mph is high speed if you are towing a heavy load with a light truck) would scare me to death.

Sounds about the same weight ratio-wise as me towing my FJ40 with my FZJ80.

It sucks, it's slow, but I do it all the time because I don't have an alternative.

Check brakes,clutch,grease everything,flush cooling.,use tow dolly.Go 45mph.I think you will be fine if you know how to trailer anyway. 2 cents. Mike

i have towed my 8000 lb dozer with my 40 and to date it has towed 12 6x6 army trucks home all back roads.have to think way ahead but have never had a problem.i have since figured out that my pickup or dump truck work much better.good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom