Tour around the hart and the belly of Methusalem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tour around the heart and the belly of Methusalem

Hey, amigos! Because Methusalem couldn't really handle the hills of southern Venezuela, because of overheating problems, I had to do something. I couldn't drive uphill with more than 30 - 35 km/h without overheating. My radiator didn't leak, but it was in bad shape. Because you can't find a new one here, I had to try something different. A Dutch guy in the north of our capital brought all his radiator business machines with him from Holland and started a radiator factory here. He doesn't make the usual cores, but in stead of the zigzag thing he uses straight copper plates.
Underneath you'll find a video from my engine bay and the belly of Methusalem, and a few pictures from the old and the new radiator, just for fun.
YouTube - ‪Toyota Land Cruiser HJ60 engine bay tour‬‏
HJ60 91.jpg

Last edited:
what's that instead the front diff fill oil plug .?
it appears as if someone welded nuts and bolt to original plug after it was stripped out.

great video btw!

what's that instead the front diff fill oil plug .?

The previous owner of our rig (I hope he'll never touch a cruiser again!) just welded everything he saw with whatever he could find. So he just welded a wheel nut on the original plug, maybe because he was in the jungle at that moment and didn't have the right socket with him. I really don't know. You should see al the things he welded. My rear axle is at least five degrees out of line. A disaster!:crybaby:

Just for laughs, another example of the welding obsession of the PO:D
This was one of the two bolts with which the clutch slave cylinder was mounted. No, no, no, dear fellow cruiserhead, don't cry! There are worse things in this world. I think...
IMG_4849.JPG

Last edited:
it appears as if someone welded nuts and bolt to original plug after it was stripped out.

great video btw!

You're right, Euro. And thanx. I love my new camera. I hope to put a lot more video's on Yootjoop, cruiser related as well as music and nature and traveling, but that has to wait till I have the time. We're planning to drive to Venezuela again this summer, so I hope I have some nice pics and video's at the end of the summer.

Uh Wim, what kind of jungle-juice was responsible for this performance? :lol:
I don't think Kava is common this far west:

Eh... ehm, eh... uche, well, uhm, yes... Who is that? I guess it's a new species that's never seen in these woods before. Let me see... Bold, handsome, very intelligent and with noble features. Yes, could be family.
Yeah, well, this was a false start. In the near future I'm gonna put some nature video's on YooTjoop, but than in English and not so retarded:D
By the way, how did you place a Utjoob video on this forum like that?
Oh, and it was no alcohol that triggered this. I was trying out my new photo camera and couldn't think of something more intelligent than this.

Eh... ehm, eh... uche, well, uhm, yes... Who is that? I guess it's a new species that's never seen in these woods before. Let me see... Bold, handsome, very intelligent and with noble features. Yes, could be family.
Yeah, well, this was a false start. In the near future I'm gonna put some nature video's on YooTjoop, but than in English and not so retarded:D
By the way, how did you place a Utjoob video on this forum like that?
Oh, and it was no alcohol that triggered this. I was trying out my new photo camera and couldn't think of something more intelligent than this.

I found it very entertaining and good camera work too.:clap:

I found it very entertaining and good camera work too.:clap:

But I bet you didn't understand a word of what I was saying. An American friend of mine, from California, once said that my language sounds as if I'm constantly throwing up:D I guess he was right.
But like I said to Wile E Coyote, there's coming up some video's in English.

Another thing. Can anybody tell me how far a thermostat must open to work properly? Without the thermostat my new radiator works perfectly, but when I install the thermostat, my temp gauge indicates 3/4 of the scale. I put the thing in cooking water and it opens without problems, but I guess not enough?

I never trust in Toyota factory gauges .. use a good aftermarket one or laser temp gun if you wanna be sure about your water temp readings ..

But amigo mio Tapage, even if my gauge doesn't work perfectly, the temperature differences are still there. Nicely low without thermostat and scaringly high with thermostat, although I know for shure it opens. I tested it in hot water, and the hose behind the thermostat gets hot after the engine gets hot.
Okay, so I probably need a new thermostat, but I was just curious how far a good thermostat has to open.

What I mean it's your engine it running under normal temp values .. but since you see a lot of needle movement in the stock temp gauge .. you are worried for that and probably you don't need to be ..

What I mean it's your engine it running under normal temp values .. but since you see a lot of needle movement in the stock temp gauge .. you are worried for that and probably you don't need to be ..

Yeah, but I rather don't take any chances:)

I never trust in Toyota factory gauges .. use a good aftermarket one or laser temp gun if you wanna be sure about your water temp readings ..

x2... when i was out wheeling a couple weekends ago my 60's temp gauge was reading about an 1/8 inch under the red mark on the gauge. I borrowed a friends laser therm and it was only 185 degrees, that made me feel alot better about what my temp gauge shows because it varies quite a bit ...

:cheers:

x2... when i was out wheeling a couple weekends ago my 60's temp gauge was reading about an 1/8 inch under the red mark on the gauge. I borrowed a friends laser therm and it was only 185 degrees, that made me feel alot better about what my temp gauge shows because it varies quite a bit ...

:cheers:

Isn't that just because they are 21 or more years old? But anyway, if my gauge says 1/3 without thermostat, and 2/3 with thermostat, I get a tiny bit nervous:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom