Tough One (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.hardwickhousewares.com
So, this is the second day that I've been a registered user in this forum. So far I've seen a lot of people asking the same questions I've asked myself. I've also seen a lot of good advice. I've seen questions answered on this forum that very talented local mechanics have not been able to answer for me.

However the thing that is most remarkable to me is that I am not alone. There are others who suffer as I do for the love of a 'Cruiser.

Along those lines. Here's a tough one. Or maybe not.

I'm having an EVAP system problem (I think). It has a few different symptoms. The worst is that after shutting of the engine, the carb runs a bunch of gas into the manifold. It drips from the ventury assemblies. Makes for difficult warm starts and really stinks.

I've also noticed issues related to tank filling. The tank doesn't seem to vent properly. Sometimes gas will spray out from the filler before the pump shuts off. When driving after a fill I often get an overwhelming volume of fumes from under the hood. I can only assume the carb is just pouring gas. In Oregon we can't pump our own gas, so when I get a retard gas station attendant who doesn't think I'm serious when I say "Don't top it off." I get pretty well fumigated. With a full tank on a hot day, gas might pour out of the filler.

I think what's happening is that fuel tank vapor pressure is building in the tank and not venting through the charcoal canister as it should. Instead, the pressure is feeding back into the carb float bowl and blowing gas into my engine. I did find and repair a vacuum problem on the advancer port, but I'm still having trouble. I haven't been able to locate any other obvious defects.

A solution to this one would make my day.

I will be no help in answering your tech question except to suggest you put in a sig line with year of Cruiser. It might not even matter if it is a 60 or a 62, but it will help you getting better answers in the future I'd bet.

Oh, and WELCOME!!! :flipoff2:

For the first part I think a stuck float is to blame and simultaneously a leaky plunger. A carb rebuild by JimC may do wonders for your cruzah.
teh second part sounds a bit like something is clogged. A new gas cap with teh pressure vent might help but maybe you could use some compressed air and a friend to blow air through the EVAP lines to determine if one is clogged. I'll think on this one more after woek tonight.
Fish

Thanks, I'll add the sig line when I can figure out how to do it. Vehicle is '87 FJ-60. I rebuilt the carb. I can't swear that I did everything right but I had a pretty good feeling about it when finished. Plunger and float are working as far as I can tell. I did replace the gas cap.

i know how youre feeling

ive been down this road before. could be a number of things. as far as whats mentioned above, is your carb fan running? i would check there first. sometimes the ground gets burned in 1/2, or burned through, causing the carb fan to quit working, ie: vapor lock. second i would see if the "fuel cut-off" solenoid is working properly. it can also ground out. third, you may want to check the charcoal canister. if you blow in one of the holes, are any of them blocked? those were some of the things i remembered looking at on mine. good luck! -other sean

The gas tank vent line going to the charcol canister could be plugged, or the check valve in the canister could be stuck. On a warm day, disconnect the line labled "tank" at the canister. If the vent line is unobstructed, pressure will be released and smell like gas. You could try leaving the line disconnected for a while to see if the carb flooding goes away. If it does then the problem is in the canister. I don't think those are repairable. If the carb still floods, make the bowl vent isn't plugged up. I know you said you rebuilt it but are you sure the vent is clear?

There's a plastic vacuum control valve in the evap system as well. I've had one of those fail. It was obvious when I uplugged a vac line and liquid gas poured out it.

As for the gas spilling out when filling... mine does that ocassionally. I haven't figured why. Even with the same pump, sometimes it'll overflow, sometimes it'll shut off with no spill.

Hi,

New to this great forum. I have 2 85's, one FJ60 in CO and one HJ60 Sahara in Cairns AU.

Did you ever get an answer to the flooding after engine shutoff in the FJ? It's driving me to drink (usually a good thing!) Only after it gets up to temp and I shut it off I can pop the hood and see the bubbles rising in the sight glass and the level going down to zero. It seems that it building up quite a bit of internal pressure somehow. Also with mine, it runs like garbage for a min or so after I start it up once it floods. Far longer than I would expect to just blow out the excess gas. I have to keep the revs up or else it will stall.

Been through the emissions, new rebuild on the carb, new tuneup. It runs and idles 100% once it starts and starts fine on cold Colorado mornings.

I'm interested in whether or not it had anything to do with the charcoal canister. It's the only thing that I think may be bad. The molded rubber hose that went to one of the ports self destructed and oozed it's way into the canister. The port seems to still pass air, but it takes a fair bit of pressure to make it go through.

Does anyone know where to get an new aftermarket canister? The local dealer says they're obsolete and none of the napa clones even show them. Oh, plus the dealer claims that if he had one it would be on the order of $400.

:cheers:

Invest in the FSM & the Emissions manual - they detail diagnostic tests for all these common problems.

I'm betting with Hull & 60 on this: it's one or more of fuel cutoff valve, carb fan, & evap valve.

have you taken off the rear interior passenger side cover, right on the interior side of the fuel fillup? there is tubing and stuff in there that can leak when the tank is overfilled and that will fill the passenger compartment with gas fumes. might be worthwhile to take a look (or sniff) in there. probably a rotted hose or two causing fuel fume leaks.

one love
jah bill

Ducks-Yup, fans running

Tinker-Have them both. I went through the entire emissions system right after I bought it. Spent close to $800 on missing and broken parts. The thing runs like a top and passed inspection with flying colors.

I pulled the hoses from the canister and released the pressure in the tank today while the gas in the sight glass was bubbling and draining with no effect. Pulled every hose off the thing and it still did it, so that leads me to believe that there is something wrong locally with the carb itself. I see on another thread with the same problem, a suggestion that maybe a leaky passage plug in the carb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom