tough old girl (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had a head on crash last night - everyone is fine, including my 3 kids and the 19 year old girl in the tercel that ran the red light. Her tercell just crumpled (I think that is what they are meant to do - right?). The 62 got hit in the passanger side of the front bumper. Grill, lights, bumper, passanger wheel arch are all trashed :crybaby: and the hood looks a little out of shape but it is hard to tell given the other damage.

The girl has insurance (so do I) and I am hoping her company is going to take care of all the costs. My question is - do you think the bumper that is bent back to within about 3 inches of the tire be repairable or will it need to be replaced. And if it needs to be replaced is there anyway I could pay the difference and have the repair guys fit an ARB bumper?

Just a tought.

If this is an insurance repair, then they will pay for any part that was damaged in the accident, they have to. So, don't even bother with bending back the bumper, just get a new one. And MAKE SURE you only use OEM Toyota parts!

If you want to upgrade the bumper, get the check from the insurance company for the repair, then work out how to pay the difference with the repair shop.

Take it to a good body or frame shop to be sure the frame isn't bent.

When you get a quote for the bumper, make sure you go to Toyota. It will probably be the most expensive, but then you will end up paying less for the ARB.;)

Hawke said:
In the province I live in (Canada) the provincial insurance company will total (tag it as salvage) a vehicle off if the repair costs are over 70 % more than the book value of the vehicle no matter who is at fault. Those of us with older vehicles keep our fingers crossed we don't get hit. I hope that's not the case where you are.

Hawke,

I don't know about the salvage "tag" but the first estimate from the girls insurance was $3,900 and they said my truck was worth $5,125. He when on tho say that if he cannot find used parts to replace my damaged parts (what the hell) then my truck would be totalled. I will go to a shop recommended by my insurance on Monday for a second opinion.

Also, her insurance company is waiting on the police report before they will accept 100% responsibility.

Useless without pictures....

azaussie said:
Hawke,

I don't know about the salvage "tag" but the first estimate from the girls insurance was $3,900 and they said my truck was worth $5,125. He when on tho say that if he cannot find used parts to replace my damaged parts (what the hell) then my truck would be totalled. I will go to a shop recommended by my insurance on Monday for a second opinion.

Also, her insurance company is waiting on the police report before they will accept 100% responsibility.

We always have the power of negotiation here. Often the insurance company will low-ball the value of the vehicle and expect you to argue the value higher. If you can find vehicles similar to yours that sell for a higher value the insurance company will listen.

Good luck to you.

years ago I had an accident in my mustang that bent the rear axel, I got the body shop to get a limited slip for it and paid them a couple bucks.

koop said:
years ago I had an accident in my mustang that bent the rear axel, I got the body shop to get a limited slip for it and paid them a couple bucks.
Good to know - the insurance guy from Progressive said that a new toyota bumper is $600 - I don't think that an ARB bumper is that much more.

Last edited:
3puttcop said:
Useless without pictures....

I know, but I don't know how to reduce the size of the pics down to 48kb or what ever it is. I have Polaroid Photomax and Jasc Paint Shop - anyone know if I can use either of these programs to reduce the size on my pics (currently 236 KB)?

azaussie said:
I know, but I don't know how to reduce the size of the pics down to 48kb or what ever it is. I have Polaroid Photomax and Jasc Paint Shop - anyone know if I can use either of these programs to reduce the size on my pics (currently 236 KB)?

See if this works.
cruiser crash 5.jpg

sorry about the your cruiser

Glad nobody was seriously hurt. I'm am very sorry about your cruiser. Hope you can get things straightened out. I know it's always difficult to tell what 's bent on not bent after an accident. Do your cruiser still run after the accident? Good luck with dealing with your insurance company too.

It dosen't appear to have any suspension issues from the pic anyway.

That's terrible news. I hope that you can get it on the road quickly. I know that I hate to live without mine. Good luck!

mike_az said:
Glad nobody was seriously hurt. I'm am very sorry about your cruiser. Hope you can get things straightened out. I know it's always difficult to tell what 's bent on not bent after an accident. Do your cruiser still run after the accident? Good luck with dealing with your insurance company too.

Hey Mike,

It runs fine but does not turn right very well as the tire hits the body. One weird thing is that the locking hub on the drivers side (not hit) only moves about 1/2 towards the lock position and it worked fine last time I used it. I don't know if the impact could have done something to it or not. The indicators work on both sides. When I turn on low beam both high and low come on on the drivers side and nothing on the passangers side and when I turn on high beam all headlights go out - something got shaken up.

Last edited:
that stinks. you can go to whiochever shop you want to for your repairs. And with the bumper costing that much a ARB shouldnt be an issue at all. I would see if they will give you the check for the repairs, then get the parts off here or locally then get your shop to repair it . If they find something else that needs repairing the insurance company is supposed to fix it. Even if the locking hub mentioned is messed up.

Keep us posted on how it goes down.

azaussie said:
Good to know - the insurance guy from progress said that a new toyota bumper is $600 - I don't think that an ARB bumper is that much more.

Spoke to the guy at the body shop about the possibility of paying the difference between a new stock bumper and an ARB bumper and the guy was not opposed to the idea at all.

Looks like it would be $100 to $150 out of pocket for the ARB bumper.

well thats good to hear! at least you didnt have to pay a deductable. We had to on our 4runner (hit a deer) so it didnt end up near as sweet.

89s rule said:
well thats good to hear! at least you didnt have to pay a deductable. We had to on our 4runner (hit a deer) so it didnt end up near as sweet.

Well, the deductible is still up in the air until the insurance companies review the Police report (10 days or so). If the girls insurance company takes full responsibility then no deductible for me but it is possible that we will share blame for the accident in which case I will have to pay a portion of my deductible.

Glad to hear everyone is ok. Sorry about the 62.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom