Tough Dog (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just ordered 41 up front and 45 adjustable rears for my 2019. I need some feedback from people on how these perform or hold up in winter. I live in the midwest and it gets well below zero on a regular basis. Anyone have any insight as to how those will hold up in those conditions?

Just ordered 41 up front and 45 adjustable rears for my 2019. I need some feedback from people on how these perform or hold up in winter. I live in the midwest and it gets well below zero on a regular basis. Anyone have any insight as to how those will hold up in those conditions?
Maybe ask Jason @TRAIL TAILOR ? Thats what I would do. He’s a straight shooter.

Maybe ask Jason @TRAIL TAILOR ? Thats what I would do. He’s a straight shooter.

yeah, I have no problem asking Jason...I was hoping someone whose had the system installed and lived in this environment might have some ownership experience to add for color.

Only had mine one winter so can't speak to long-term longevity. However, I will say that the paint on the bottom of my rear shock bodies was completely worn off (by flying pebbles, I assume) down to metal within just a few months. (EDIT - No, this absolutely isn't normal wear. *Every bit* of the paint was gone from the lowest part of the rear shocks, where the adjuster knob lies.) The shock bodies had started to rust, so you'd want to consider adding some extra paint or keeping a close eye on them to repaint as necessary. Not a big deal, but I wasn't expecting to see that.

Last edited:
I passed on Tough Dog after seeing all of the rusted shock housings and ended up going with Dobinsons. Really would have like the adjustable shocks but living in the PNW, rust prevention is a must. Search around for Tough Dog Rust...

Two winters in upstate ny. I feel rust is similar to emu I had on before. I do use fluid film liberally. The function is fine.

I should have been more clear...where I live, rust happens no matter the product. You can't avoid if if you combine gravel/sediment with salt and water...I was more concerned with how the part would react to the extreme cold in terms of performance. Would it be incredibly stiff...anyone have any strange failures during extreme cold, etc.

For those of you pointing out rust, and I'm certainly not defending my purchase or TT or TD, combine the word rust with any suspension manufacturer and you'll get results.

Fluid film is anyone's friend where salt is used.

I’ve had TD 45s on my rig since 2017. 2 Chicago salty winters and 32k on them and they’re functioning the same as when I purchased them. No significant rust aside from the 4 bolts at the top of the coil overs. I do have someone spray the underside with fluid film each November, which doesn’t stop all rust but definitely reduces it significantly.

Note I can snap some photos of my shocks if you’d like.

Note I can snap some photos of my shocks if you’d like.
I'd appreciate that. I live not far from you so I'm betting we have similar environments. I bought my own Fluid Film and plan on doing what I can. You have someone in your area who does that for you? Mind sharing who that is?

I'd appreciate that. I live not far from you so I'm betting we have similar environments. I bought my own Fluid Film and plan on doing what I can. You have someone in your area who does that for you? Mind sharing who that is?
@GoISU has done several trucks in the Chicago are.

@GoISU has done several trucks in the Chicago are.
Yep he has done mine the last 2 years. Great guy

I’ll snap some pics tomorrow. My wife took the truck to go to a class downtown so it’ll be dark when she gets back

FWIW I think TD used to have some quality issues several years ago but reliability has improved. My only complaint was that their instructions say to put the taller rear spring in the drivers side in the US and that was wrong - it goes on the passenger side rear. Otherwise I’ve been quite happy with them for the $. Adjustables are particularly nice when you load changes a lot (like when i tow). If you can change your order i would opt for 45s in the front as well as they let you tune the plushness/harshness depending on your load and preference

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, whether it's rubberized undercoating or Fluid Film.

Anti-seize compound is great for preventing/reducing corrosion on dissimilar metals.

I have the TD 41mm 40/20mm lift. None adjustable. Rig drives very well loaded and unloaded.

Actually got lucky, my wife hasn’t left yet when I got home. Here’s a shot of the fronts - super dirty but I rubbed my finger on the coil so you can see it’s just dirt
5DC3227A-1420-4185-8337-37764F467D20.jpeg

Top hat of the coils. You can see the nuts are rusty. So far that’s the only rust I’ve seen
0096282B-DEF1-4756-91C5-07355CE0AFD1.jpeg

Quick Shot of the rear shock as well. Again super dirty so it’s hard to see but there is extremely minimal if any rust on the welds. Otherwise it’s good
96ECD725-D4F7-4168-AA19-12F4350D1E3A.jpeg

I’m going to hit the car wash on Friday or Saturday and can send a couple pics onve I have the month of LCDC and other accumulated road trip grime hosed off

8 Months of use mainly in Southern California and mine look like this. Not too pleased. Any thoughts on next steps? Probably no point in complaining, but figured future owners would want to see.

IMG_4439.jpg

Jason @TRAIL TAILOR sells rear shock guards that would mitigate road FOD such as that.

I'd recommend getting stainless.

Is the stainless steel guard isolated from the mild steel parts? Putting stainless steel in contact with other types of steel while being bathed in salt spray sounds to me like a great way to cause galvanic corrosion.

In the boating world, dissimilar metals are typically isolated from each other by rubber or plastic parts, to prevent such problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom