CLOSED --- TOUGH DOG SUSPENSIONS and TOUR FLEX SPRINGS---CLOSED (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there @GW Nugget - Sorry, missed your request from last weekend (original post had a typo in my user name - NorCal97, not NorCal).

Ya, I was in the same boat when contemplating shocks. Now, about 1.5 years into the TD 9-way adjustables, I'm still real pleased. They fill a big hole between the basic OME stuff and the high-end stuff. I was tempted to spring for something fancier, but there was (is?) nothing even remotely close in price for the given features and performance. Bang-for-buck, a huge win.

To your question, the compression and rebound are not independently adjustable...one knob to tweak both. The difference between low and high is significant, and it's easy to find a good setting. I run #5-6 unloaded around town (slightly on the firm side, even w/belly skids, sliders, F&R bumpers, and winch). When heavily loaded for a week in the desert with my family of 4, I'll run at about #7-8 on the highway, then down to about #6 for cushy high-speed trail travel. Adjustments are easy and literally take seconds.

I have not found issues with the 1.25 bump stops, but consider that I have a 1" body lift and have ditched the stupid flares. I don't recall the length/travel, but Jason @TRAIL TAILOR can elaborate.

To the previous post by @DMD08: I had the same shock vs. weld interference issue on one side of the axle. I just took a Dremel to the offending part of the shock pin mount (removed very little material), and problem solved.
Good to know... I'm running a 2" bump stop & thinking I can space down these shocks safely .5" or so to get to a 27" extension that I want. These will be my next rear shock. I have a set of the XL9000 shock but they are to soft even on #9 for me.

I finally got around to installing these and wondering if this is on any issue... pics below. For it’s worth I had the sport and comfort shocks on this 1991 HDJ81. It appears that the bushing from tough dog will not index into the upper shock mount plate. Is this even a issue?

@TRAIL TAILOR can you post the specs for the different rate coil options for the 200?

REARS
TourFlex Coils (tapered pigtail wire)

*200 Medium Coil 560/545mm free height, tapered wire 13-18.5mm, 9.7 wraps 250/170#
*200 Heavy Coil 525/515mm free height, tapered wire 14mm to 19.5mm, 9.7 wraps 320/180#

Standard Tough Dog Coils

*931L-- 475/445mm, 7.2 wraps 18mm wire 240#
*931HL-- 455/425mm 7.2 wraps, 19mm wire 275#

***931AV--470/460mm 8.3 wraps, 21mm wire 420/330# (not stocked- special order)
***931AVHD--470/460mm, 8.3 wraps 22.4mm wire 650/350# (not stocked- special order)

J what are the rates of theses coils?
1" Coils
FRONT:
TDC948SL LH-490 RH-480 (16.5 wire) 10 wraps
REAR:
TDC949SL LH-490 RH-470 (17mm wire) 8.8 wraps

Last edited:
@GW Nugget you can add it to the list for those using Tundra/Sequoia components on the fronts of the 200 series..

Last edited:
Nice!
:popcorn:
Taco parts :)
Wondered if you were stretching that direction too
Butt

We'll see where it goes. Cruisers are my main focus for fab, etc.. But if it's throw it on the shelf item like the suspensions with a little tech I'm good with it.

Tacos are not an Aussie model. So we had to do some testing to get the front struts and rear shocks were we wanted them. I'm working with TD now on a rear leaf pack, but most of the newer Tacos can simply buy an AAL and get to 2" in the rear pretty quickly.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom