CLOSED --- TOUGH DOG SUSPENSIONS and TOUR FLEX SPRINGS---CLOSED (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jason,

I have a 2015 200 series and am wanting to upgrade the suspension. I originally was planning on going with the OME since it is time tested and still considered a very good suspension (without breaking the bank). But I have seen on here a lot of guys running and enjoying the TD suspension. It looks to be around a similar price point and I was told to ask you about it.

My 200 is basically stock, I have upgraded tires but have no real weight on it. My next move will be to upgrade the suspension and then some sliders. Not in the market to add any armor yet (that will be a different discussion with the Mrs's). I will use it as a DD and overland it on weekends. What set-up do you recommend? Cost? I do not want a 3 inch lift or anything super big. Please PM me.

-Chip

I ran the OME stuff for awhile because there was no reasonably priced alternatives out there (as far as I was concerned). I have been running the tuff dog oil shocks and tourflex springs for a few years now and love them. The whole setup was not much more than an OME setup but the ride is noticeably bettter. Noah

Added to my list of Tough Dog components, this RTC steering damper. Stout enough to handle big tires!

20190404_184020.jpg

160.00 for standard RTC
185.00 for XHD-RTC

I was looking on your website but couldn't find the XHD-RTC, do you have them in stock and if so how can I order one? :)

I'm installing rear tourflex springs and tough dog shocks right now. The OEM shock has 2 bushings and 4 metal washers at the top mount. The tough dog shock has 2 bushings and 3 metal washers. Does one of the bushings ride on the frame? If so, which one? I just want to make sure this sandwich goes together right.

Also the rear shock won't slide all the way onto the lower mount without the shock body contacting the mounting bracket. Am I doing something wrong? This seems sure to cause damage.
20190420_110533.jpg

Last edited:
@TRAIL TAILOR I've always been told that a 4" lift is necessary for the XHD RTC on an 80 but not quite sure why this would be the case as I can't see how a specific lift height is gonna have anything to do with a particular steering damper fitting or not.
Any comment on this please?

@TRAIL TAILOR I've always been told that a 4" lift is necessary for the XHD RTC on an 80 but not quite sure why this would be the case as I can't see how a specific lift height is gonna have anything to do with a particular steering damper fitting or not.
Any comment on this please?

Same concept as a panhard. Since one end is attached to the frame and the other to axle/steering the angle/length changes the shorter or taller you go.

I have the XHD on 3" to 6" lifts and all work fine (all with 35" to 39" tires). A 3-4" is where you start seeing larger and heavier tires and this is where the XHD was designed. The standard RTC in my experience is good to about a 33 to 34" tire. IMO it just doesn't have enough spring strength to work as designed for the larger tires and this is where the XHD comes in. Also the reverse happens here. The XHD has about twice the spring strength and therefore takes more attention if used on small tires.

With the extra length of the XHD assy over a standard length stabilizer, IMO 3" is about the shortest lift that can be used with it.

J

I'm on 75mm lift, and 37" tires. Per Jason's recommendation, I am using the XHD-RTC. It is definitely effective, and there are no clearance issues.

Jason, I'm considering doing the one of the 2.5" Tourflex kits that you have left for the 100 series on my 2000. I'm doing this pretty early in my build as I want to go with your extended sway bar links instead of replacing some aging bushings and links. I'll eventually be adding front and rear bumpers, but probably won't be doing them for another year due to cost. Would you recommend holding off on the lift because I won't have the proper weight, or is it ok to run it for a while with the stock weight (maybe with a spare in the trunk). Also, I'll be using my LC mainly for off-road, but will be doing some pretty long drives in it. Would you recommend the 41mm or 53mm up front?

Just read the last 10 pages of this thread & I have to say Jason is well engaged with the customer in response to questions unlike some venders I know.

Just read the last 10 pages of this thread & I have to say Jason is well engaged with the customer in response to questions unlike some venders I know.

G,

I do my best whether here on MUD , via email inquiries through the website or IG.

J

@NorCal flexed w/ forklift today.
26-28" articulation
J
View attachment 1630653
After going through this whole thread looking at coil info I forgot about the 9 way adjustable Tough Dog offers in the 45mm flavor.
I'm looking at this PHAT shock... & think this would be a great option for me since I'm not up for $1200 price range rear shocks, but want a more than one setting. does this dial adjust compression or rebound or is it a needle that slows down both ways?
I'm looking at the specs of the rear 4" lift shock 451mm/17.75" comp. & 674mm/26.5" ext. that's only 8.75" stroke... Hmmm
What is the shock pictured with the 1.25" bump stop? Does 17.75" compressed only need a 1.25" bump stop?
Calling @NorCal97

IMG_20180210_081847370.jpg

Last edited:
Hey there @GW Nugget - Sorry, missed your request from last weekend (original post had a typo in my user name - NorCal97, not NorCal).

Ya, I was in the same boat when contemplating shocks. Now, about 1.5 years into the TD 9-way adjustables, I'm still real pleased. They fill a big hole between the basic OME stuff and the high-end stuff. I was tempted to spring for something fancier, but there was (is?) nothing even remotely close in price for the given features and performance. Bang-for-buck, a huge win.

To your question, the compression and rebound are not independently adjustable...one knob to tweak both. The difference between low and high is significant, and it's easy to find a good setting. I run #5-6 unloaded around town (slightly on the firm side, even w/belly skids, sliders, F&R bumpers, and winch). When heavily loaded for a week in the desert with my family of 4, I'll run at about #7-8 on the highway, then down to about #6 for cushy high-speed trail travel. Adjustments are easy and literally take seconds.

I have not found issues with the 1.25 bump stops, but consider that I have a 1" body lift and have ditched the stupid flares. I don't recall the length/travel, but Jason @TRAIL TAILOR can elaborate.

To the previous post by @DMD08: I had the same shock vs. weld interference issue on one side of the axle. I just took a Dremel to the offending part of the shock pin mount (removed very little material), and problem solved.

I'm installing rear tourflex springs and tough dog shocks right now. The OEM shock has 2 bushings and 4 metal washers at the top mount. The tough dog shock has 2 bushings and 3 metal washers. Does one of the bushings ride on the frame? If so, which one? I just want to make sure this sandwich goes together right.

Also the rear shock won't slide all the way onto the lower mount without the shock body contacting the mounting bracket. Am I doing something wrong? This seems sure to cause damage.View attachment 1957547

Anyone have any info on this? I have the 53mm for the rear and it looks like there is no way in hell its sliding on the rear lower shock mount.

Anyone have any info on this? I have the 53mm for the rear and it looks like there is no way in hell its sliding on the rear lower shock mount.
That's weird. The TD website shows that the 45's and 53's have the same 70mm OD casing, so fitup should be the same. Try putting the lower mount on first? I have to do this with my 45's.

I actually have the 45s sorry about that but I’m definitely going to have to grind some material off that lower mount so that it can slide on. Or use washers to space it off the mount a bit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom