CLOSED --- TOUGH DOG SUSPENSIONS and TOUR FLEX SPRINGS---CLOSED (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2" doesn't exist and not sure if I will pursue a 2"/50mm and or lighter version. This particular 3" is the prototype. Trying to get a feel for it and seeing who might be interested.

Also, this is not a long travel flex style coil like others are selling and I never wanted it to be either. It has a taller free height and is a heavy overlanding/touring spring with a little extra droop/hang. I never wanted these for crawling (but IMO, could contend quite nicely). I wanted a spring that would serve my needs for CONSTANT heavy loads whether on or off road. These springs are 320/180 dual rate.

In a nutshell, if you are not planning on carrying 600+ pounds all the time, these are not for your rig.

J

This I like, :)......

@ExpoGeorgia installed a 3" Tough Dog lift this weekend.

J

IMG_1535.JPG

Preciate you getting everything out to me reevesci! Shocks and springs were pretty simple to install and I was amazed at how smooth the ride was. Surprisingly it is still well mannered on the highway without the castor plates but I am installing that and the Panhard rods tomorrow. Testing it out this Thursday at Uwharrie

Preciate you getting everything out to me reevesci! Shocks and springs were pretty simple to install and I was amazed at how smooth the ride was. Surprisingly it is still well mannered on the highway without the castor plates but I am installing that and the Panhard rods tomorrow. Testing it out this Thursday at Uwharrie

You'll like playing with the shocks.. On my 100 I run 2-4 off road, around town and light highway 5-6 and interstate long trips 7-8. I've gotten 100% positive response on the TD foam cell shocks. They make a world of difference.

Thanks again and send me some flexed pics!

J

Another happy Tough Dog customer here! This weekend the wife and I installed a new suspension under her BJ71. The old leafs were 29 year old stockers. The ride is night and day different for the better!

We went from this:
IMGP5423-XL.jpg

To this!
IMGP5428-XL.jpg

We gained just over 3 inches of lift over the dead flat stockers. It looks like a Land Cruiser should now; we can't wait to try it out on the trail!

IMGP5430-XL.jpg

Another happy Tough Dog customer here! This weekend the wife and I installed a new suspension under her BJ71. The old leafs were 29 year old stockers. The ride is night and day different for the better!

We went from this:
IMGP5423-XL.jpg

To this!
IMGP5428-XL.jpg

We gained just over 3 inches of lift over the dead flat stockers. It looks like a Land Cruiser should now; we can't wait to try it out on the trail!

IMGP5430-XL.jpg

Thanks C,

I like it! I got my 60 lift finished up as well.

J

IMG_20170409_114112544.jpg
IMG_20170409_104304444.jpg
IMG_20170409_114749391.jpg
IMG_20170402_122919414.jpg

Hi Jason!

Having a 60 with no after-market bumpers like yours that needs a new suspension kit, what is the TD configuration that you put on it?
Is it the 41mm foam cell or the 40mm adjustable (and by the way what are the key differences between both); but mostly which load configuration (light, medium or heavy) do you have on front and back?

Thanks,

--jeff

Hi Jason!

Having a 60 with no after-market bumpers like yours that needs a new suspension kit, what is the TD configuration that you put on it?
Is it the 41mm foam cell or the 40mm adjustable (and by the way what are the key differences between both); but mostly which load configuration (light, medium or heavy) do you have on front and back?

Thanks,

--jeff

Jeff,

I installed the heavy fronts (will be adding winch and custom front bumper) and light rears (0-660# load range springs- will be adding custom rear bumper) I used the 41mm foam cells. In the pics I have approx 250# of drawers and gear loaded up.

The 40mm 9 stage adjustables are a good compliment if you are using your rig every weekend or 50/50, as a DD and off-road rig. You can adjust the shocks to suite the terrain and your load quickly. Otherwise the 41mm is my recommendation for a DD and the occasional weekend warrior rig.

Jason

Jeff,

I installed the heavy fronts (will be adding winch and custom front bumper) and light rears (0-660# load range springs- will be adding custom rear bumper) I used the 41mm foam cells. In the pics I have approx 250# of drawers and gear loaded up.

The 40mm 9 stage adjustables are a good compliment if you are using your rig every weekend or 50/50, as a DD and off-road rig. You can adjust the shocks to suite the terrain and your load quickly. Otherwise the 41mm is my recommendation for a DD and the occasional weekend warrior rig.

Jason

Thanks for the quick answer! That's exactly I wanted to get; thanks! And based on the info and recommendations you gave Jason I will go with the same configuration.

Again thanks!

--jeff

Do you have any 200 kits Jason? I would like the medium kit but am unsure if I need the 45mm or the "Ralph"? Also, does Tough Dog offer a lower rear control arm as well?

Some 60 install pics coming back from customers.

60 with 12HT.. Heavy front and Constant 660-1100# rears

"Got my Cruiser back last night. All is well now the Cruiser doesn't lean anymore, it doesn't look like a sting bug and it doesn't make all kinds of noise when it turns. It's day and night the ride is awesome it's a different Beast!

First fifty miles on the new suspension: WOW! Awesome ride it's day and night from the OME, It doesn't wobble anymore when I steer left or right , it doesn' t Cling! Clang! or Clock! anymore I'm not gonna say it rides like my 2006 Tacoma but Man what a ride and what a happy surprise. I just can't wait to take her to The National Forest in Olympia area. Cruises light like a champion on the Highway it's totally different with the new shocks and all. It's a bit pricey but this will be my every day driver soon so it's a great improvement. The cruiser lean was a bad flaw ,I had a hard time living with that I kept looking at it and always wondered how could a Toyota Land Cruiser look like that."

20170418_123008_resized.jpg
RC HEAVY.jpg

62 Heavy front and Light (0-660# load range rear)

"I got out this morning and ran it down the highway to hit some forest service roads and see how it was going to perform. The first thing I really noticed was the immense improvement over drops, logs, rocks, etc. Before when I drove over a 5 or 6 inch log I would bottom out harshly no matter how slow I went. Now it is still a bump, but it's completely controlled and not harsh at all. I went over a handful of down trees like this, and not at a crawl.

I ran the truck pretty hard and fast (well, for a '62 :D) down some forest roads for a couple miles and was very impressed with the shocks. They do a great job on big hits and those fast-appearing drainage cuts. I never bottomed out once.

So far I am digging it.

Compared to the ride out, on the way back home after the quick beat down on the forest roads, I noticed a marked improvement in the highway ride; not that it was bad at all before but small bumps were getting soaked up a lot better. I've only got about 50 miles on it so I suspect it will improve even more as I get some more miles on it and get it all broken in."

IMG_4822.JPG

IMG_4824.JPG

More 40, 60 and 70 kits are on their way and should be here in approx. 5-6 weeks. THe first 32 sets went QUICKER than I thought!

80, 100 and 200 kits and components are in stock now.

80 series 75mm/3" Medium & Heavy TourFlex kits will be available for sell at the end of next week. Per my air freight tracking they should be here Friday (pending customs release)

J

Jason - are you still deciding about a 80 series 50mm Heavy TourFlex kit or is that a no at this point? I'm liking the reviews, but the 2" light kit probably won't work (I'll have 600+ lbs constant load) and I don't want to go 75mm high and get into all the geometry issues (and extra parts to fix those issues). Plus I don't want to go up to a 35" tire at this point and 33s look puny on a 75mm lift.

Please tell me if I'm wrong about the 2" light kit not being able to handle that constant load. Feels like a 50mm heavy TourFlex would hit the sweet spot for me personally. Thanks.

Jason - are you still deciding about a 80 series 50mm Heavy TourFlex kit or is that a no at this point? I'm liking the reviews, but the 2" light kit probably won't work (I'll have 600+ lbs constant load) and I don't want to go 75mm high and get into all the geometry issues (and extra parts to fix those issues). Plus I don't want to go up to a 35" tire at this point and 33s look puny on a 75mm lift.

Please tell me if I'm wrong about the 2" light kit not being able to handle that constant load. Feels like a 50mm heavy TourFlex would hit the sweet spot for me personally. Thanks.

No 50mm TourFlex anytime soon.

The light springs are 0-660# load range
Medium springs are a CONSTANT load of 660# up to 1100#
Heavy springs are a CONSTANT load of 1100# up to 1500#

The light springs will be at the very top of their load range with your 600#. If you ever add anything... you'll be overloaded. If you add extra people or gear or ever latch onto a trailer I would recommend the mediums for the rear.

Jason

Next order has hit the Oakland, CA port and should be here in the next 12-16 days. This order has 40, 60, 70 , 80 , 100 and 200 kits in it.

I also finalized the 2"/50mm TourFlex coils and foam cell shocks for the 80 and 100 series last night. They went to production today.

Dual rate tapered coils and 41mm bore foam cell shocks.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom