TOUGH DOG SUSPENSIONS and TOUR FLEX SPRINGS

Jason,

I have a 2015 200 series and am wanting to upgrade the suspension. I originally was planning on going with the OME since it is time tested and still considered a very good suspension (without breaking the bank). But I have seen on here a lot of guys running and enjoying the TD suspension. It looks to be around a similar price point and I was told to ask you about it.

My 200 is basically stock, I have upgraded tires but have no real weight on it. My next move will be to upgrade the suspension and then some sliders. Not in the market to add any armor yet (that will be a different discussion with the Mrs's). I will use it as a DD and overland it on weekends. What set-up do you recommend? Cost? I do not want a 3 inch lift or anything super big. Please PM me.

-Chip

1973Guppie

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star

Jason,

I have a 2015 200 series and am wanting to upgrade the suspension. I originally was planning on going with the OME since it is time tested and still considered a very good suspension (without breaking the bank). But I have seen on here a lot of guys running and enjoying the TD suspension. It looks to be around a similar price point and I was told to ask you about it.

My 200 is basically stock, I have upgraded tires but have no real weight on it. My next move will be to upgrade the suspension and then some sliders. Not in the market to add any armor yet (that will be a different discussion with the Mrs's). I will use it as a DD and overland it on weekends. What set-up do you recommend? Cost? I do not want a 3 inch lift or anything super big. Please PM me.

-Chip
I ran the OME stuff for awhile because there was no reasonably priced alternatives out there (as far as I was concerned). I have been running the tuff dog oil shocks and tourflex springs for a few years now and love them. The whole setup was not much more than an OME setup but the ride is noticeably bettter. Noah

TRAIL TAILOR

Enabler
Supporting Vendor
I was looking on your website but couldn't find the XHD-RTC, do you have them in stock and if so how can I order one? :)
I have one left in stock. I can send you a PayPal invoice if you want it.

PM me if interested in it.

Jason

I'm installing rear tourflex springs and tough dog shocks right now. The OEM shock has 2 bushings and 4 metal washers at the top mount. The tough dog shock has 2 bushings and 3 metal washers. Does one of the bushings ride on the frame? If so, which one? I just want to make sure this sandwich goes together right.

Also the rear shock won't slide all the way onto the lower mount without the shock body contacting the mounting bracket. Am I doing something wrong? This seems sure to cause damage.
20190420_110533.jpg

Last edited:
@TRAIL TAILOR I've always been told that a 4" lift is necessary for the XHD RTC on an 80 but not quite sure why this would be the case as I can't see how a specific lift height is gonna have anything to do with a particular steering damper fitting or not.
Any comment on this please?

TRAIL TAILOR

Enabler
Supporting Vendor
@TRAIL TAILOR I've always been told that a 4" lift is necessary for the XHD RTC on an 80 but not quite sure why this would be the case as I can't see how a specific lift height is gonna have anything to do with a particular steering damper fitting or not.
Any comment on this please?

Same concept as a panhard. Since one end is attached to the frame and the other to axle/steering the angle/length changes the shorter or taller you go.

I have the XHD on 3" to 6" lifts and all work fine (all with 35" to 39" tires). A 3-4" is where you start seeing larger and heavier tires and this is where the XHD was designed. The standard RTC in my experience is good to about a 33 to 34" tire. IMO it just doesn't have enough spring strength to work as designed for the larger tires and this is where the XHD comes in. Also the reverse happens here. The XHD has about twice the spring strength and therefore takes more attention if used on small tires.

With the extra length of the XHD assy over a standard length stabilizer, IMO 3" is about the shortest lift that can be used with it.

J

Jason, I'm considering doing the one of the 2.5" Tourflex kits that you have left for the 100 series on my 2000. I'm doing this pretty early in my build as I want to go with your extended sway bar links instead of replacing some aging bushings and links. I'll eventually be adding front and rear bumpers, but probably won't be doing them for another year due to cost. Would you recommend holding off on the lift because I won't have the proper weight, or is it ok to run it for a while with the stock weight (maybe with a spare in the trunk). Also, I'll be using my LC mainly for off-road, but will be doing some pretty long drives in it. Would you recommend the 41mm or 53mm up front?

Top Bottom