Tough Dog adjustable rears contacting shock mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just installed these and noticed this.

IMG_20200704_141158.jpg

IMG_20200704_141249.jpg
IMG_20200704_141226.jpg

Tried mounting them both directions on the shock posts. Plan to call TT on Monday but curious what others installs have looked like. Am going to try to keep the miles off it until then.

The shock body is definitely rubbing here.

According to their Aussie website there are no applicable products for the 100-series. That is a massive shock body.

*edit - I could be wrong as there seems to be secondary pages on their aussie site that show kits and I was not looking in the right place.

Just installed these and noticed this.

View attachment 2361375
View attachment 2361391View attachment 2361396

Tried mounting them both directions on the shock posts. Plan to call TT on Monday but curious what others installs have looked like. Am going to try to keep the miles off it until then.

The shock body is definitely rubbing here.

1) I installed a relatively thick washer on the mount before sliding the shock on the mount.
2) I flipped the shocks 180*, where the adjustment knobs faced the wheel, to avoid ripping them off.

1) I installed a relatively thick washer on the mount before sliding the shock on the mount.
2) I flipped the shocks 180*, where the adjustment knobs faced the wheel, to avoid ripping them off.

I plan to flip them after I sort out them contacting the shock mount and also after some time playing with the adjustments.

Did TD or TT supply the washer needed for them to fit without contacting?

I plan to flip them after I sort out them contacting the shock mount and also after some time playing with the adjustments.

Did TD or TT supply the washer needed for them to fit without contacting?

No, the washers came out of my collection of oddball orphaned extra parts.

According to their Aussie website there are no applicable products for the 100-series. That is a massive shock body.

*edit - I could be wrong as there seems to be secondary pages on their aussie site that show kits and I was not looking in the right place.

Quite a few people here with their shocks.

Just double checked my rear. Mine have very slight rubbing. Just noticed this. Likely will pack it out with a washer.

Yep a washer or two would do the trick. I had to do the same with Pro Comp shocks on my FJC.

So, I've had this happen with the 100 and 200 series alike. Not many have reported this back to me. I've talked with Tough Dog and they say it has to do with the inconsistency in the weld that Toyota puts on the shock bracket.. I can see this, but at the same time adding a spacer to the box couldn't be that hard either.

I'll be adding a shim/washer to all the rear shocks starting on my next sea freight order in from Australia to try and eliminate this interference.

For right now you can get a washer from pretty much any hardware store to use as a spacer.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I've been working on this issue, but will need to take it into my own hands to resolve for the US/Canada customers moving forward.

Jason

So, I've had this happen with the 100 and 200 series alike. Not many have reported this back to me. I've talked with Tough Dog and they say it has to do with the inconsistency in the weld that Toyota puts on the shock bracket.. I can see this, but at the same time adding a spacer to the box couldn't be that hard either.

I'll be adding a shim/washer to all the rear shocks starting on my next sea freight order in from Australia to try and eliminate this interference.

For right now you can get a washer from pretty much any hardware store to use as a spacer.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I've been working on this issue, but will need to take it into my own hands to resolve for the US/Canada customers moving forward.

Jason
Would you mind posting the ID for the washer if you know offhand? Figure I’ll get one just in case it’s needed for the install. If not no worries will measure the eyelet when shocks arrive.

Would you mind posting the ID for the washer if you know offhand? Figure I’ll get one just in case it’s needed for the install. If not no worries will measure the eyelet when shocks arrive.

I just climbed under as I will need to go get these washers myself. It's 3/4 inner diameter for the washers.

The shock post is 3/4" wide.

Reviving this thread but with a slightly different question...

Do the factory shock steel bushings need to be reused on the upper shock mounts?

I noticed that my t dog kit only contained 2x washers per side, whereas the factory shocks used 4.

Reviving this thread but with a slightly different question...

Do the factory shock steel bushings need to be reused on the upper shock mounts?

I noticed that my t dog kit only contained 2x washers per side, whereas the factory shocks used 4.

I believe that was discussed in this thread:

I believe that was discussed in this thread:
Cheers thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom