Touchy Door/light Switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there an adjustment on the door/light activation switch? My passenger door switch is extremely touchy, when the door is closed and I lightly push on it, the dome light comes on.

I first noticed it last year driving to Chicago. When strong wind gusts hit me on the interstate the open door light was blinking and the front dome would come on. I thought a door was ajar. But it wasn't.

It was windy last weekend driving back from Southern MO, and my friend in the back seat noticed the dome light blinking during wind gusts. My solution on the chicago trip was to just turn off the dome light. But sometimes, that's not always an option when hauling folks.

Thanks,

Before jumping to "fixing" the switch...from the outside of the truck with the door latched does it actually appear to be closed all the way? The edge of the door is in line with the rest of the body?

Just would hate to jump on the switch if it is actually that the door isn't closing all the way thus making it to where wind or pushing on the door will activate the light.

Adjusting the door latch is covered in the FSM.

I'm no Chip Foose, but the door appears to be in line with the body. The door doesn't rattle, even on rough roads. (everything else does of course)

There isn't visible play in the door when I pull on it from the outside through an open window.

That is why I had hoped to adjust the switch a little, possibly it's a precursor to the switch wearing out.

Could be...the rear door switches were worn out on mine when I got it. Seems odd as they get such little use, but maybe that is what precludes the extreme wear?

Anyway - AFAIN there is no adjustment on the switch, unless you put a spacer/washer behind the bold (I can't remember how the fronts attach) to move the switch "out" to make greater contact?

***WARNING REDNECK FIX BELOW***

Or you could attach something to the door where the switch makes contact to "fully engage the switch. ie duct tape, epoxy a small piece of plastic, or any other redneck fabrication you can dream up!

HTH!

Sometimes I saw this in my passenger door .. inspeck the switch and found in mine there are some bad contact, to I clean it ( humidity maybe ) and fix the problem.

I see a thin small plastic disk glued in my door jam in the near future, thanks for the idea. I don't think it's redneck at all.

It's more of a farm fix, and I've done plenty of those. Some of the temp fixes have lasted for years. A little bit of logging chain welded here and there never hurt anyone.

Haha I was gonna say 'glue a penny to your door'.... the next owner (if there is one) will have a hell of a time trying to get that shiny red cent off :lol:

Haha I was gonna say 'glue a penny to your door'.... the next owner (if there is one) will have a hell of a time trying to get that shiny red cent off :lol:

Ha very funny you say that! I glued a quarter to my door to push the door switch in a bit more. That fixed my issue of the dome light comming on and off going around a clover leaf or if I was leaning on the door. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom