1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Touch-up paint in aerosol cans...

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Mike S, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Mike S

Mike S

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Mike S

2. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

Pep boys and places like that stock touch up paint in aeresol cans, but not too often in 20 year old colors. You can get aerosol cans that have a little glass bottle on the bottom with a propelant canester that screws on top. Then you just buy a pint of your pain code, mix it with thinner and spray away. They have them at most automotive paint stores.

3. dd113

dd113

The big NAPA paint depots now have the ability to mix any acrylic enamel colour into a spray can. Runs around $18 a can. It can be special ordered. the AE paint will work on all early stock 40/45/55 series. Around 79-80 they switched to base and clear paint. The cans can still be mixed but it will require twice the price as you will need a can of base, the colour, and clear, the gloss. it is a good deal on the AE. Still, it is cheaper to buy a spot gun and just buy the paint and reducer.

4. Jman

Jman

My truck isn't the prettiest, but I've treated some scrapes and dings on the hood and the rear quarters using a rattle can color I got at Pep Boys:

Plasti-kote
    Import color
    5727 Toyota
    (acrylic lacquer)

It matches the color pretty well, but it's shinier than the old paint. However, if I wax the truck, you really can't tell where I've done repainting (unless you look really, really close and find out where I've done my less-than-perfect sanding!)

It's like $5 a can--get a can and test it out somewhere less visible on your truck.

If you do a good job sanding/priming/sanding/painting, it will look good.