Totally Stupid Idea (mount winch backwards) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Folks,

I'm in the planning phase for a homemade front bumper for the clunker. Very occasional winching since I'm usually with buddies and generally a yank with a tow strap is enough to get us out of trouble.

I would love to mount the fairlead up high, like at the top half of the drum instead of the bottom half. It would majorly simplify the design of my bumper because it would not require an elevated winch mount plate internally--I could just mount the winch to the bottom line of the bumper.

In order to do this, couldn't I just mount the winch backwards (facing the radiator) and run the rope over the top of the spool instead of under the bottom? The winch should function the same in terms of direction it spins, etc.

The only obvious downside I can see is that this places the force of the load further away from the winch mounting bolts. Would this issue be serious enough to kill me? I can make the mounting plate thicker to compensate. Is there any other drawback that I'm not thinking of?

Highly technical drawing attached.

winch.jpg

The only obvious downside I can see is that this places the force of the load further away from the winch mounting bolts. Would this issue be serious enough to kill me?

With as much torque as a winch motor provides, that extra few inches is going to be a huge lever on the mounting bolts. I wouldn't do it, but it's your truck.

With as much torque as a winch motor provides, that extra few inches is going to be a huge lever on the mounting bolts. I wouldn't do it, but it's your truck.
What 1911 said is spot on. I wouldn't do it. You may be able to reinforce the base plate but the mounting bolts and winch body you won't be able to reinforce.

depends on the design, but it would not be surprising if the winch feet might suffer more than the bolts. Which is why some powerful winches are mounted feet forward.

Can you make the bumper so the winch feet face forward? Then you have options.

Hmm, that might be an option, I'll have to ponder that for a while. I think I'll follow your advice and not run the rope over the top--I'm just imagining the safety hazards of the winch letting go.

2nd question: If I do make an elevated winch plate, could I simply mount the winch feet to two pieces of 2x2, one for each side of the winch? That would probably be the easiest way to elevate the winch (unless I can figure out feet forward).

AFAIK you are never supposed to run a winch with the line spooling over the top as it creates much more torque on the mounting feet, bolts, and metal you are mounting it to than they are designed to withstand under extreme loads. Spooling the rope under the bottom is supposed to spread the load across the feet and mounting point more evenly keeping it planted, instead of provoking it to tip forward if run over the top and put under a load

After pondering this a bit yesterday, I think feet forward is actually going to be a good option for my setup :D

Winch will mulfunction if you begin to wind backwards.
The main problem is not bolts, but brake. Brake will try to work when you will winching. But aluminium body will not stand under very strong torque either. It will crack some time.
So you may turn it around (left to right) to make brake work in right direction.
As guys said before the best way out is to install it vertical instead of horisontal. (Bottom to front ) In that case you can use your fireleads on the top without any problems, but take an eye to brake work in right direction.

I do the same in my rear winch
DSC_5552.JPG
DSC_5819.JPG

DSC_5551.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom