Totally new to Diesels: Summary of what I've learned, questions, concerns (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you for all for the information.

I need to get the EGT and BEB done before July.

Does anyone have a recommended seller for the BEB's?

Regarding the EGT: The Auburn seems good, but I'd like to be able to view all of the data at once. EGT, Turbo, Water, and have an alarm for all.
I don't want to be "ricered" out with a whole bunch of gauges.

What would you call recommend?

Regarding the EGT: The Auburn seems good, but I'd like to be able to view all of the data at once. EGT, Turbo, Water, and have an alarm for all.

If you're looking for an "all in one" then something like the Madman setup would probably fit the bill.

I wanted EGT, boost, and trans temp so I went with VDO gauges and a Mudpod mounted in front of the shifter.

image (5).jpeg

Hell, you could even mount the Madman setup in a Mudpod, leaves you room for extra switches, powerpoints, or whatever.
IMG_0193.jpg

If you're looking for an "all in one" then something like the Madman setup would probably fit the bill.

I wanted EGT, boost, and trans temp so I went with VDO gauges and a Mudpod mounted in front of the shifter.

View attachment 1479868
Hell, you could even mount the Madman setup in a Mudpod, leaves you room for extra switches, powerpoints, or whatever.
View attachment 1479871

Are they still selling that pod?

How do you like the madman? Can you view all the data at the same time?

Does anyone have the newer model that is a standard looking gauge?

MadMan EMS2 Engine Monitor - 4x4overlander

Are they still selling that pod?

How do you like the madman? Can you view all the data at the same time?

Does anyone have the newer model that is a standard looking gauge?

MadMan EMS2 Engine Monitor - 4x4overlander

The pod is available from Mudstuff in the UK, it's intended to be a Land Rover pod mounted on top of the dash, but works well here too IMO. There's 2 different sizes, I went with the larger. The 1st pic is my gauges, the 2nd pic is just another I found on the internet.

The pod is available from Mudstuff in the UK, it's intended to be a Land Rover pod mounted on top of the dash, but works well here too IMO. There's 2 different sizes, I went with the larger. The 1st pic is my gauges, the 2nd pic is just another I found on the internet.

How do you like the madman?

Do you think its the best thing out there for seeing all temps and readings at the same time?

How do you like the madman?

Do you think its the best thing out there for seeing all temps and readings at the same time?

I've never used the madman, I have VDO gauges.

Another Question:

What all should be monitored with these gauges for the 1HD-T?
EGT and Turbo.

Water? Transmission temp?

Another Question:

EGT and Turbo.

EGT and boost would be my first two gauges. Then oil pressure and transmission temp. Since you have a manual, skip trans temp and go with water temp instead. The only other thing is maybe a voltage gauge.

EGT and boost would be my first two gauges. Then oil pressure and transmission temp. Since you have a manual, skip trans temp and go with water temp instead. The only other thing is maybe a voltage gauge.

I know this is going to sound pretty stupid but, what is it exactly that I am monitoring for Oil, water, and voltage?

It shouldn't decrease but if it does it's a sign of what? Where should those temperatures and pressures be normally?

Oil pressure will vary when the engine is cold vs. hot, you'll get a feel for where it should be and when as you drive the truck. This is for those that don't trust the factory gauge. Coolant temp is an oddity, the factory gauge is apparently not very accurate from factory, there's a resistor you can install that recalibrates the factory gauge making the readings more useful (on gas models, can't say I've seen any diesel guys do this), or you can go to an aftermarket gauge. Voltage is another case of just not trusting the stock gauge. On these deisels you'll see the voltage read low on a cold start as the glow plugs are drawing power, then the reading rises as they cycle off. My Pioneer headunit has a voltage display on the deck so another gauge would be redundant for me.

Oil pressure will vary when the engine is cold vs. hot, you'll get a feel for where it should be and when as you drive the truck. This is for those that don't trust the factory gauge. Coolant temp is an oddity, the factory gauge is apparently not very accurate from factory, there's a resistor you can install that recalibrates the factory gauge making the readings more useful (on gas models, can't say I've seen any diesel guys do this), or you can go to an aftermarket gauge. Voltage is another case of just not trusting the stock gauge. On these deisels you'll see the voltage read low on a cold start as the glow plugs are drawing power, then the reading rises as they cycle off. My Pioneer headunit has a voltage display on the deck so another gauge would be redundant for me.

What are the concerns with these readings that require one get a gauge? What am I watching for and how common is this issue?

Radd Cruisers

IMG_4379.jpg

As far as gauges go, Glowshift makes this diesel gauge that's pretty handy and fit reasonably into the vent to the left of the steering wheel. Does EGT on the needle, boost pressure, and one other temperature on the little digital display. I'm using the additional temp input for watching my transmission temperature.

I have no complaints so far, but only time will tell right?

full

As far as gauges go, Glowshift makes this diesel gauge that's pretty handy and fit reasonably into the vent to the left of the steering wheel. Does EGT on the needle, boost pressure, and one other temperature on the little digital display. I'm using the additional temp input for watching my transmission temperature.

I have no complaints so far, but only time will tell right?

full
I ran into your post when I was researching. I really like your setup. I am concerned about blocking ventilation. If I remember correctly you're in Canada. I'm in humid Texas.

Radd Cruisers gave me a quote of $250 w/o shipping.
ACL does not carry these anymore (they used to sell for $35).
G&S and Japan 4x4 have not gotten back to me.

Is $250 with rods the going rate?

Another Question:

EGT and Turbo.

I would say it depends on what you want to do with the truck, and your personality as a driver.

If you want to keep it stock standard and usually drive fairly sedately, you could leave it as is, and just drive it.
If you tend to push a vehicle hard, EGT gauge is a bit of an insurance policy.
If you're likely to upgrade for more power, gauges become more critical.

You can also set up gauges temporarily for tuning purposes, and remove them once you're satisfied you have a safe tune.

The standard temperature gauge is slow to respond. Many have boiled an engine without the gauge indicating water temp was reaching critical point, myself included.

Gauges are only any good if you look at them. Idiot lights, or buzzers are the safest option to alert you to a major problem.

I have an oil pressure gauge and I find it pretty pointless to be honest. Factory gauge is good enough for me in that respect.

IMO pre-turbo EGT, boost, and trans temp are the three gauges you need. Water temp on the outlet from the engine is nice too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom