Totaled the 40 now what??? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi, Problem is a lot of adjusters were independent. They could give judgements that were firm ,tough but fair. Now the adjusters work for the insurance co .or companies directly. Not much fairness when their directly employed by the insurance company and get bonuses based on money not paid out. Not a very ethical system any more.

I had been thinking about having my 40 appraised. Just in case something stupid happens.

I think now I should do that for certain.

May not fit this 40 but something to keep in mind keep receipts for any not stock work you do. I know on later Seventeen digit VINs all the information how it left the factory. Generally if you haven't added those to your own policy your insurance will give you nothing for them.

2004 rolled a 2000 Tundra on black ice. Took a while but finally got a fair settlement. Few things that worked in my favor. After a few weeks I purchased a new 4Runner which they insured. Obviously they knew I was desperate to get a replacement. Truck was paid for so wasn't making payments on truck I couldn't drive. Luckily everything I had added to the truck was not damaged and removed them. Last thing I wouldn't release the truck to the insurance company and they were paying for the storage at a small gas station/general store with a storage yard. Insurance companies like getting totalled vehicles off to auction as quick as they can. Close out a accident. There was nothing causing me to be in a rush.

Been over thirty years since I did any regular driving in city traffic. Early next year my 89 FJ62 left the Phoenix area and has never been back. 89 not that bad but have claimed for years the 40 series is not up to the task of city/freeway traffic today.

My insurance/accident experience: I was hit in my 1983 HJ47 by a guy who ran a red light. Police responded and got on record that he was at fault (I was the third and final car he hit on his way through the intersection, although he claimed that we all three coming from different directions were the ones that ran the light 😂).

The insurance company pulled comps for 1983 Landcruisers and, since they were all FJ60s, offered me something like $2K (this is 10-15 years ago). I politely rejected the offer, provided some postings for Troopys similar to mine and they settled for 4-5x their initial offer.

All of that is to say that before you look for lawyers just counter them and back up your opinion with comps. Insurance companies are definitely looking to get away with the smallest settlement possible, but insurance agents and claims adjusters are people, too.

I had been thinking about having my 40 appraised. Just in case something stupid happens.

I think now I should do that for certain.
Smartest thing you can do. Also even if you do, you should be insured with Hagerty or another collector car group. They know what you have.

What did you do to get Hagerty?
Currently insured through Hagerty. When I put a deer through the radiator last fall, I was content with how they handled it.

I called them - answered their questions - they came back and said since I drive mine vs a trailer queen for show, they won't. Would like to get replacement value. Thx!

What did you do to get Hagerty?

I called them - answered their questions - they came back and said since I drive mine vs a trailer queen for show, they won't. Would like to get replacement value. Thx!
They said the same thing to me when I tried to use them for my kzj78. I even had a second car at the time.

Lawyers won't help you with property end. I do this everyday. It's easier to put pressure with the 3rd party insurance company. Who are they using for the valuation? Was it CCC ? They won't negotiate the price, they pay other companies to value the vehicle. You need to provide them with the best info of what your vehicle was. You can help them with comps but comps are weighted heavily toward verified sales, and very low to asking prices. Ask them to discuss the valuation with their vendor likely CCC or possibly NADA if they are a low rent insurer to make it more accurate. When it comes down to dealing with court or arbitration they will have a professional valuation with real verifiable data, so you will need so.ething that is more compelling then that to a judge or arbitor that know absolutely zero about cars. You can get an appraiser to value your vehicle but it will cost $300 to $500. I can tell you that I have been to court and arbitration many times and never lost once, yes I work for the insurance company. I have a stated value policy on my vehicle.

Keep fighting brother. They want you to get frustrated and settle low.

Do you have a number in your head that you are OK with? $20k $25k $30k
Thank you! $XX,000 is what I need to replace the vehicle.

Last edited:
Lawyers won't help you with property end. I do this everyday. It's easier to put pressure with the 3rd party insurance company. Who are they using for the valuation? Was it CCC ? They won't negotiate the price, they pay other companies to value the vehicle. You need to provide them with the best info of what your vehicle was. You can help them with comps but comps are weighted heavily toward verified sales, and very low to asking prices. Ask them to discuss the valuation with their vendor likely CCC or possibly NADA if they are a low rent insurer to make it more accurate. When it comes down to dealing with court or arbitration they will have a professional valuation with real verifiable data, so you will need so.ething that is more compelling then that to a judge or arbitor that know absolutely zero about cars. You can get an appraiser to value your vehicle but it will cost $300 to $500. I can tell you that I have been to court and arbitration many times and never lost once, yes I work for the insurance company. I have a stated value policy on my vehicle.
It is CCC, I can post it if you all are interested?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom