Totaled 40th Anniversary FJ-80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a continuation of this thread https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=71240 concerning my accident in my '97 FJ-80. We are still trying to resolve final insurance values and the salvage option, but here are a couple more pics of the damage/carnage. The truck needs both control arms, work on the axle housing control arm mounts, a new steering rod, inner and outer fender, flare and apron, all grille componenets, driver's door and glass, body work on the A pillar and passenger door, and paint work. Toyota body shop says $12,500 in damage. In Texas, if it exceeds 80% of value, its totaled. Last pic is the truck I am buying in Florida to replace it.
left front.jpg
driver control arm rear1.jpg
DSCN0417.jpg

wow jim. sorry to see you lost it. you going to salvage and part it or let the insurance company take it? is the arb the first mod on the new rig?

i guess the very faint, very dim silver lining is that you get to add one more number to your 40th registry.
dmc

Just saw the posts... That sucks. There are a lot of idiot drivers here in Houston... I have had my share of near misses on 45 and beltway 8.

Good to see you found another nice 40 though.

dmc said:
wow jim. sorry to see you lost it. you going to salvage and part it or let the insurance company take it? is the arb the first mod on the new rig?

i guess the very faint, very dim silver lining is that you get to add one more number to your 40th registry.
dmc

We are still haggling on the numbers, so I am not sure about the salvage. I figure either they'll price it low enough where I can buy it and rebuild it, or they'll blow me and everyone else out of the water so far on price that I'll let it go. I work for a corporation that owns two Lexus franchises so I get a sinfully good deal on parts and an even more sinfully low price on quality Lexus body shop labor. So who knows, I may wind up with two. For those interested...IF I buy it and IF I were to part it out, I'll let you know, so don't hammer me with parts requests just yet.

I failed myself miseably by not ordering the ARB. I jacka$$ed around trying to get my military trailer done instead of springing the few bills on the ARB. I have had one on my last 5 FJ-80s and knew better than to run this long without it. The next person I come in contact with is going to suffer far more than me in the sheet metal department.

So if all goes as planned will you be parting it out? Selling the J's and L's? I'm interested and will be in Gilmer in 2 weeks...

Land Speeder said:
So if all goes as planned will you be parting it out? Selling the J's and L's? I'm interested and will be in Gilmer in 2 weeks...

Nope...all options are going on the new truck and it will also receive the ARB and Kaymar front and rear fortifications. I am then going hunting for landscaping trucks.

Sorry to see it that way it is the same year and color as mine.If you do part it out hope I can get some parts.

Christ....look at that control arm...and I thought those were indestructible...

Good luck and I am glad that everyone was ok from the incident.

[Onur shaking head at control arm....:eek: ]

Sucks Jim sorry to hear buy at least you get to build a new rig.

Hopefully you can get the money to replace it and buy your other one back. I have totalled two car (not my fault) and parted them out to net more money. I have actually made money on the two (bmw e34 and scirrocco in high school)

Glad you are OK. If you get the chance to buy it back and decided to part it out I'm interested in front and rear axles. Sorry to see the truck in that condition, hey but at least you are okay.

Kaderabek said:
You can drive my truck at the Roundup, Jim. Seriously.

TJK

Wow....that's kinda like the swimming pool scene in Top Gun where Viper says to Maverick, "You'll get your RIO when you get to your ship, if you don't call me, I'll fly with you." Makes me tear up when I think that you are offering to let me drive the truck I sold you that started this entire mess. Maybe I should ride shotgun with your PBR stash, that way we won't have a wreck. Or better yet, you bring my truck to the Roundup and I'll give you your money back :flipoff2:

My PBR is fair game. The steering wheel (while at the event) is fair game. The rest is going back to NC when I leave.

Seriously though, wheel it. I'm happy to watch other people dent my truck. Or I can stay in camp and keep an eye on Tammy, er, I mean the chili.

:D

TJK

elmariachi said:
I did manage to get these off of the mangled fender. :grinpimp:

I dabbled in geting them repro'd. No luck, but I have not the connections that you do.

For a fair price, put me down for 6 emblems.

Sorry about your truck. Glad you're ok though.

I just sent you an email about the 40th registry. As usual, two minutes later I see this thread. Doh! (feelin' about two inches tall now)

Anywho, wheres the 40th in FL at?

Doug

UltraFJ said:
Sorry about your truck. Glad you're ok though.

I just sent you an email about the 40th registry. As usual, two minutes later I see this thread. Doh! (feelin' about two inches tall now)

Anywho, wheres the 40th in FL at?

Doug

Got your email and will post up a revised list tonight. The new one is in Jacksonville.

All 40th threads ttt!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom