Total Newbie Needs Help with 2005 100 Series Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all! I recently inherited a 2005 100 Series Cruiser from my dad and don’t know much about them. I’m looking to take it camping where access is via a pretty easy dirt road, but can get slippery/muddy in a few spots if the weather has been bad.

Anyways, what’s the default position of the transfer case lever? (Hope that’s the right term) H? Or N? I swore when I used to drive this car, the lever was always in N. Yeah, it never left the pavement while he owned it. I always used my 4Runner when camping.

I was testing things out yesterday and shifting between 4WD drive modes was one of them. Again, I swear the transfer case lever was in N to start with. I put the main shifter in N and got the transfer lever to H. All good, drives fine, etc. But then I couldn’t get it back to where I “thought” was the default position, which was transfer case lever in N. Can shift back to N, but then D or R doesn’t engage. Shift back to P, the “A/T P” light comes on. Never saw that before.

Was in the phone with a buddy who is a local Toyota mechanic. He’s not familiar with Land Cruisers as well. He’s gonna check with others in his shop tmrw. Anyways, ran through a number of checks. All same end result. Can shift to L and noticed the “jump” that he said to watch for. Tested the locking diff and noticed the difference in steering when turning, like I was told to watch out for.

If the default position is H, then all good and my dumbass remembered wrong. If transfer case lever in N is either default or an operating position, I can’t get the main drive (or reverse) to engage when N.

Sorry for the uber newbie question. I was reading through a bunch of threads on here, partially the stuck lever ones. The restoration ones are amazing. But didn’t find anything about my issue (or apparent issue). I even tried to look for pic of where the lever is on others posts and some appear to be where the lever is in the middle position, not forward (H).

Thank you in advance for the help. And again apologize is this is a dumb question.

Hello all! I recently inherited a 2005 100 Series Cruiser from my dad and don’t know much about them. I’m looking to take it camping where access is via a pretty easy dirt road, but can get slippery/muddy in a few spots if the weather has been bad.

Anyways, what’s the default position of the transfer case lever? (Hope that’s the right term) H? Or N? I swore when I used to drive this car, the lever was always in N. Yeah, it never left the pavement while he owned it. I always used my 4Runner when camping.

I was testing things out yesterday and shifting between 4WD drive modes was one of them. Again, I swear the transfer case lever was in N to start with. I put the main shifter in N and got the transfer lever to H. All good, drives fine, etc. But then I couldn’t get it back to where I “thought” was the default position, which was transfer case lever in N. Can shift back to N, but then D or R doesn’t engage. Shift back to P, the “A/T P” light comes on. Never saw that before.

Was in the phone with a buddy who is a local Toyota mechanic. He’s not familiar with Land Cruisers as well. He’s gonna check with others in his shop tmrw. Anyways, ran through a number of checks. All same end result. Can shift to L and noticed the “jump” that he said to watch for. Tested the locking diff and noticed the difference in steering when turning, like I was told to watch out for.

If the default position is H, then all good and my dumbass remembered wrong. If transfer case lever in N is either default or an operating position, I can’t get the main drive (or reverse) to engage when N.

Sorry for the uber newbie question. I was reading through a bunch of threads on here, partially the stuck lever ones. The restoration ones are amazing. But didn’t find anything about my issue (or apparent issue). I even tried to look for pic of where the lever is on others posts and some appear to be where the lever is in the middle position, not forward (H).

Thank you in advance for the help. And again apologize is this is a dumb question.

Try this link -- may need free registration and login and I notice that the site is down for maintenance just now -- should take you to a relevant Owner's Manual (assuming a Hawaii vehicle came from USA mainland or at least has similar specifications). In any case, in any similar manual, read up on 4WD operation and selecting HI and LO range, also use of Centre Differential Lock (CDL), traction control (ATRAC), vehicle stability control (VSC).

2005 Toyota Land Cruiser Owners Manual and Warranty - Toyota Owners - https://www.toyota.com/owners/resources/warranty-owners-manuals/land-cruiser/2005

The short stubby transfer shifter ordinarily would be in HI range for normal roads. N is neutral -- no power transmitted to driveline in forward or reverse. LO is low range for use in difficult off-road or rough road conditions, means gearing is engaged which lowers the overall gear ratio of all gears, thereby multiplying torque and increasing potential traction.

When not used much the Transfer Shifter can become stuck due to corrosion causing a part of the linkage frame and an encased a short shaft under the floor to stick rigidly together or become very stiff. This is quite fixable but it can be a PITA kind of job. If you can get the Transfer Shifter back to HI, leave it there until you have time and inclination for the repair. Here are a couple of well-illustrated threads which explain what can happen and what IH8MUD members have done about it:

Stuck low range gear.in 100 series. - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/stuck-low-range-gear-in-100-series.1215542/#post-13169027

“Un-Sticking” The Transfer Case Lever | IH8MUD Forum

The LC100 is permanent 4WD (except some LC105 models which may have front hubs which free wheel unless manually locked), so you should still have 4WD but not the LO range of gears. If it works, CDL will work independently of the Transfer Shifter problem but you do need to check that the CDL operation actually does work using the button on the dashboard.

Don't worry about 'dumb questions' -- ask away, that is what IH8MUD is for -- we all started somewhere, sometime. Good if you can include more details about your particular LC100 model (see for example the signature lines of some other members) and add a few pictures to you posts -- this helps others answer your questions.

If you can, it is a good idea to find a buddy who is familiar with LC100 to help you while you are learning.

Last edited:
Just remember that "N" stands for "no movement" when pressing the gas pedal. Easy enough.

Try this link -- may need free registration and login and I notice that the site is down for maintenance just now -- should take you to a relevant Owner's Manual (assuming a Hawaii vehicle came from USA mainland or at least has similar specifications). In any case, in any similar manual, read up on 4WD operation and selecting HI and LO range, also use of Centre Differential Lock (CDL), traction control (ATRAC), vehicle stability control (VSC).

2005 Toyota Land Cruiser Owners Manual and Warranty - Toyota Owners - https://www.toyota.com/owners/resources/warranty-owners-manuals/land-cruiser/2005

The short stubby transfer shifter ordinarily would be in HI range for normal roads. N is neutral -- no power transmitted to driveline in forward or reverse. LO is low range for use in difficult off-road or rough road conditions, means gearing is engaged which lowers the overall gear ratio of all gears, thereby multiplying torque and increasing potential traction.

When not used much the Transfer Shifter can become stuck due to corrosion causing a part of the linkage frame and an encased a short shaft under the floor to stick rigidly together or become very stiff. This is quite fixable but it can be a PITA kind of job. If you can get the Transfer Shifter back to HI, leave it there until you have time and inclination for the repair. Here are a couple of well-illustrated threads which explain what can happen and what IH8MUD members have done about it:

Stuck low range gear.in 100 series. - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/stuck-low-range-gear-in-100-series.1215542/#post-13169027

“Un-Sticking” The Transfer Case Lever | IH8MUD Forum

The LC100 is permanent 4WD (except some LC105 models which may have front hubs which free wheel unless manually locked), so you should still have 4WD but not the LO range of gears. If it works, CDL will work independently of the Transfer Shifter problem but you do need to check that the CDL operation actually does work using the button on the dashboard.

Don't worry about 'dumb questions' -- ask away, that is what IH8MUD is for -- we all started somewhere, sometime. Good if you can include more details about your particular LC100 model (see for example the signature lines of some other members) and add a few pictures to you posts -- this helps others answer your questions.

If you can, it is a good idea to find a buddy who is familiar with LC100 to help you while you are learning.
Thanks Mate!

I have the manual. So GTG there. It does mention how to shift between H and L and use of CDL. I just swear the thing was in N when driving it previously.

I was looking as photos of similar model year Cruisers. I saw pics of the transfer case shifter in what looks like the middle (N) position. I think there were pics of that in at least a couple of the restoration threads. Is it common for folks to have that shifter in the N position? I assume it’s was when parked and E brake was on. I guess that also threw me off. I would have expected if the H was the default position, to not see pics of that shifter in the middle position. But could be many explanations for that.

From the VIN and plate , it was produced in Japan. I’ll have to look up the details when I go back to the house to run it again, but it’s a lighter metallic brown. It runs great. There’s some superficial damage from my dad’s misjudging of the driveway fence post and someone keying it, but overall great shape for a 2005. I think mileage is super low. I want to say less than 30k.

Thankfully the shifter does move fairly easily between H and L. I would say about as easy as my 4Runner did from 2H to 4H. I am pretty sure my dad never drove the Cruiser off pavement. Looking forward to seeing how it handles the mud puddles near my buddy’s camp site. It’s been raining pretty heavily here for the past couple of weeks, so it should be interesting.

I was looking at photos of similar model year Cruisers. I saw pics of the transfer case shifter in what looks like the middle (N) position. I think there were pics of that in at least a couple of the restoration threads. Is it common for folks to have that shifter in the N position? I assume it’s was when parked and E brake was on. I guess that also threw me off. I would have expected if the H was the default position, to not see pics of that shifter in the middle position. But could be many explanations for that.

Cannot explain how pictures looked nor how the Transfer Case shifter lever may have appeared on any LC100/LX470 vehicle but can state unequivocally and without fear of contradiction that if the Transfer Case Shift Lever moves the internal gears of the Transfer Case to the "N" position there would be no power transmitted and no vehicle driven movement. It is a different gearcase but the effect is no different to the auto transmission being in its "N" -- no power transfer and no movement. This is the 'voice of experience after learning the hard way -- like some others in the previously listed threads, I have experienced a stuck Transfer Case lever, fortunately was able to get it back into "HI" with brute force, was going nowhere in "N" and it would have been a long slow drive 1,500 kilometres to my home if stuck in "LO" (actually it would have required vehicle recovery by carrier truck).
From the VIN and plate , it was produced in Japan. I’ll have to look up the details when I go back to the house to run it again, but it’s a lighter metallic brown. It runs great. There’s some superficial damage from my dad’s misjudging of the driveway fence post and someone keying it, but overall great shape for a 2005. I think mileage is super low. I want to say less than 30k.

Sounds like a great vehicle with super-low mileage! Suggest be watchful of parts which may have perished or dried out with age and/or started to disintegrate - this mainly means parts like valve timing belt, belts for water pump, fan, alternator, aircon and the water hoses around the engine. In particular, and especially if you have 2UZ-FE 4.7 litre V8 engine, search "heater T's" on IH8MUD and replace urgently, not difficult, small not-so-minor part which easily can leave you marooned. When you can, do a "full base-line" of the vehicle -- inspect everything personally or with help and replace ALL fluids in ALL systems throughout the vehicle.

Great idea to fully identify the vehicle using its VIN. The VIN also helps when it comes to sourcing spare parts.

Enjoy the truck!

Last edited:
Cannot explain how pictures looked nor how the Transfer Case shifter lever may have appeared on any LC100/LX470 vehicle but can state unequivocally and without fear of contradiction that if the Transfer Case Shift Lever moves the internal gears of the Transfer Case to the "N" position there would be no power transmitted and no vehicle driven movement. It is a different gearcase but the effect is no different to the auto transmission being in its "N" -- no power transfer and no movement. This is the 'voice of experience after learning the hard way -- like some others in the previously listed threads, I have experienced a stuck Transfer Case lever, fortunately was able to get it back into "HI" with brute force, was going nowhere in "N" and it would have been a long slow drive 1,500 kilometres to my home if stuck in "LO" (actually it would have required vehicle recovery by carrier truck).

Sounds like a great vehicle with super-low mileage! Suggest be watchful of parts which may have perished or dried out with age and/or started to disintegrate - this mainly means parts like valve timing belt, belts for water pump, fan, alternator, aircon and the water hoses around the engine. In particular, and especially if you have 2UZ-FE 4.7 litre V8 engine, search "heater T's" on IH8MUD and replace urgently, not difficult, small not-so-minor part which easily can leave you marooned. When you can, do a "full base-line" of the vehicle -- inspect everything personally or with help and replace ALL fluids in ALL systems throughout the vehicle.

Great idea to fully identify the vehicle using its VIN. The VIN also helps when it comes to sourcing spare parts.

Enjoy the truck!

These videos may help with the original question -- the first few seconds of the first video depicts the specific operation of the Transfer Case lever which is the same in LX470 and LC100. The second video gives a general explanation of various Four Wheel Drive systems ....

Aloha brotha 🤙🏽
This site has tons of info about your new Land Cruiser. That search function using a simple keyword you have in mind can lead you to a lot of threads and possible answers.
For starters just leave that shorty lever on tje right in “H”, your LC is all-wheel-drive.
If you are climbing a steep ramp on low speed (5-15mph), you can out that shorty lever in “L” but you have to put your main AT lever in “N”.
If the going gets tough even if you are in “L” press that CDL switch by your right knee and put the main lever to L and it should help put all the torque on all 4 wheels

Update

Got the LC checked out prior to taking it to camp. Ended up changing the Heater T’s (thanks to feedback here) and battery (7+ years old). Topped off coolant and other fluids and checked 4WD system. All checked out ok. The heater Ts looked in ok shape, but one was discolored. Only thing that was told to keep an eye on were the tires. They are original, but was kept in a car port, so still good condition.

Loaded up and headed out to camp. The access road is maybe 2-3 miles on dirt with maybe 2 miles where ground clearance is key and about 200-400 yards pretty muddy when it’s been wet. It was pretty wet in the area the previous 2+ weeks, but was pretty good weather the day we went up to camp. The guys who went in the morning, one RWD van got stuck in a couple of spots and had to get pulled out. That guy has been there hundreds of times with his van and never had a problem, so was a decent gauge of the conditions. When I went in, we had two 4WD and one 2WD with better tires. It was very slippery and deep in a couple of spots, but no problems with the LC. I tested the locking diff on a couple of sections on the way in.

It rained pretty hard the night before we left. The way out can be more of a challenge since the slippery parts are uphill. Everyone got out fine though.

Overall it was a fun trip and good experience taking the LC off road, albeit pretty minor off roading. Good to not have to worry about conditions with capable 4WD. My other car is a 2WD SUV. I’ve taken it to this camp a couple of times, but not when it has been that rainy before.

Anyways, here’s a pic at my friend’s house after coming back from camp. Doesn’t fully capture how dirty it was, but captures most.

532DFF8A-8BBC-4DC6-9CAC-D9E0809E91AE.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom