total newbie, fj40 point needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New to FJ40's and this forum. Buying a friend's '74 FJ40 that is in parts, but all of them, and rust free so far as I can tell. At the risk of committing some form of heresy right off the bat, is there a source I can go to to get some insight into what is needed to stuff a Chev. 350 into the FJ? My apologies if I've stepped on anyone's toes with this question. I tried the FAQ but couldn't connect.
Vic
Redlands, CA.

Welcome. I've lived in Riverside, been a while.

Not heresy, many folks have SBCs, SM420s, etc. Very easy to get adapters etc. as this is a common swap. Some folks are total purists. But with the price of gas as it is, how about considering a Yota turbo diesel? 13BT + H55F. www.gscruiserparts.com

Depends on how you will drive it--in my opinion the 350 is not really an off road engine. Lots of horses but doesn't make the torque low down like a 2F or the diesels. So, if you don't plan on wheeling it much and you want to be fast off the line, then go for it. If you want to tackle trails etc. then stick to the torquey engines and invest in some gearing changes etc.

My .02--and there should be tons of info on this if you use the search function for this board.

B

Just click on the technical links at the top of the page and read, read, read...

I run a 350 in my '74 and love it. Don't worry about stepping on toes around here. There are many others running 350s...

Thanks. I'm thinking this FJ will do be doing occaisional daily driver duty and part off-road duty, though not too bad, to get me in & out of the Mojave Desert to go hunting. Is there a good engine to fit both needs? Or should I just stick with the newly rebuilt F that is sitting in it? Thanks again.

I say stick with the newly rebuilt F that's in it, but like mentioned above, some are purists. Or, if you must have a 350 or a diesel, and the newly rebuilt F that comes with the deal was done right, you could sell that to somebody on this board and help to or completely cover the expenses you will incur in the 350 conversion.

If it has a good F in it I would stick with that. Personally i would feel more confident driving into the Mojave with a Toyota than a Chevy. Others will disagree I'm sure.

I've owned a SBC powered 40 and thought it was more engine than the chassis really wanted. It was fun though.

If you decide on SBC, I would recomend an overdrive transmission to go with it.

have you checked the advanced adapters web site?

you should probably sell me the newly rebuilt F for real cheap, and go for the 350 cheby...lots of HP's and torque your missing out on... lol

welcome to mud...

check out www.advanceadapters.com lots of info and get one of there catalogs, the free one has lots of good info and part numbers but the one for $10.00 is better. good luck

and welcome aboard!

If the F engine has the oil filter on the pass side I belive it will be a late 74 which would have a better oil system than the earlier Fs. When I lost my F engine in my 69fj40 I was going to switch to sbc and ran across a cheap 2f I threw in for hold over until later. Turned out to a very good engine there is not a thought in my mind of going with anything else. The low end torque is very nice.

IMO Try the f for a while and see what you think, the money for a conversion can go for a lot of goodies.

Thanks, y'all. The advice on sticking w/ the F engine is a good, reasonable suggestion and I'm gonna take it.
Vic
Redlands, CA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom