Total Miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hope this thread is not one that you guys see every day as I am visiting from the 40 side. I am growing quite tired of having the 40 as my daily driver. How many trouble free miles are you guys getting out of your rigs? If I were to be able to aford one it would have well over 100k miles. Would it be crazy to think you could get 300k from one?

300k isn't crazy at all on a well maintained vehicle.

I think I remember reading that the first "scheduled" overhaul is at 250K, and if you only bore the minimal amount there is enough material for a possible 3 ovehauls.

This is all conjecture, of course. 80's differ from earlier models by their full time 4wd (amongst other things) necessitating birfield overhaul (repack) every 60k or so. Starter contacts go out every 90k or so. Timing chain replaced at engine overhaul.

I am a bit confused. YOu say you have a 40 and are tired of it, but say that if you could afford one it would have over 100k on it. If you were to afford what? a different Cruiser?

but 200-300 is quite common without major overhauls, my understanding is Toyota expects the cruiser motors to hit 300k(or there abouts), then they can be rebuilt 2 more times.

I have 3 cruisers with over 200k, the 90 fj62 drives better and has more power than any other fj62 I have ever drivin, its had SUPER good maintence. Have a 92 with 200k.........still going strong. The 88 has 340,000.....had a head at 300k......still runnning well when it was in an acident last year.

Doh! I thought you posted this in the cruiser tech section.......now I understand......you looking at getting an 80 series ;)

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=2;threadid=11786;start=msg107456#msg107456 date=1077227596]
I am a bit confused. YOu say you have a 40 and are tired of it, but say that if you could afford one it would have over 100k on it. If you were to afford what? a different Cruiser?

but 200-300 is quite common without major overhauls, my understanding is Toyota expects the cruiser motors to hit 300k(or there abouts), then they can be rebuilt 2 more times.

I have 3 cruisers with over 200k, the 90 fj62 drives better and has more power than any other fj62 I have ever drivin, its had SUPER good maintence. Have a 92 with 200k.........still going strong. The 88 has 340,000.....had a head at 300k......still runnning well when it was in an acident last year.
[/quote]

I had to read that twice also.

250000 on ours and going real strong, just needs a couple of seals.

Rob

144k with no problems other than that the PO took it to a Toy dealer that didn't know Birf's needed to be serviced. :slap:

So I just had to replace to birfs. Other than that, only routine maint. Luckily, he did all that. Be sure if you look at one that the Birfs and cooling system have been regularly serviced. Oh... and rebuild the starter if it's at 100 k or more.

Hey Brad,

What did you end up doing about the birf's themselves? I know you decided against new, which way did you go and how do they look. A few viable alternatives to 600 bucks a rattle is nice.

D-

"93 with 242K miles and I've done the starter, alternator and I put some newfields in about a year ago. People still freakout. They think it's like a 3 or 4 year old truck. If you want an LX450 in the Denver area my MIL might be selling hers.

'94 with 123,000.

On my third starter, second alternator and 3rd set of oxygen sensors. Other than that, regular maintenance. PS birf was redone under warranty as warranty was expiring at 60K.

DenverCruiser,

>> How many trouble free miles are you guys getting out of your rigs? <<

Depends on what you mean by "trouble free."

If you just want to get it one with 100k miles and fill it up every so often and drive for another 200k miles, then no, you can't do that. If you are familiar with these vehicles and you either pay someone or do the maintenance yourself, then another 200k is a piece of cake.

As others have mentioned, you'll need to take care of front and rear axles routinely; you'll want to take care of the brakes routinely; you'll want to do all the LOF's on schedule and use premium products. The cooling system is very important so you will have to do annual flushes and use premium coolant.

The bottom line is that if you take good care of the truck and select one that has had good maintenance then you should see 300k before major problems. The engines are solid; the trannies are solid; the diffs, xfer, and axles are solid. Electronics are holding up very well.

-B-
(But don't ask about the HG....)

Beowulf - the guy already has a 40, so there's no way he could be of the "get one with 100k miles and fill it up every so often and drive for another 200k miles" variety (at least in my experience w/ them - especially as a DD :D).

DenverCruiser - Go for it man, if you take a little time and find a good truck you're going to wonder how you ever bounced around in that FJ40 for so long. The work you'll have to put into it will be pretty minor if you've been driving a 40 every day. :cheers:

Tucker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom