Torsion bars, shocks to match OME 860 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SJWantsADiesel

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
My 100 (non-AHC) is sagging really bad in the rear - has some old springs the PO got from an 80-series. They are soft and just about fine but then I added some drawers and it sags bad. No other load planned for the 100 - just the trunk drawer system, and the usual luggage/bikes etc for over-landing trips. Coincidentally, my 80-series has new-ish OME 860 springs that need to be swapped out because I am adding exo cage, rear bumper with tire carrier, swing outs, roof rack etc. So I am planning on re-using the OME 860 on the 100. Reading the gazillion threads on lift/shocks, I am confused.

- Torsion bars, get the OME HD torsion bars (or some other brand)? Or stay with OE?
- Shocks - some people seem to be happy with OE shocks ($40 each) with lift, others swear by the foam cell shocks (Ironman, Tough Dog etc).

Tires are 265/70R18. No plans to go up. Current shocks are Bilstein B6 - 24-027397 and 24-027403.

With the 80-series and some other projects, I don't feel like dropping too much $$$ on the 100 right now. I can stomach the ~$350 for the HD torsion bars but yeah, those foam shocks are too rich for my blood right now :D I was looking at the OME Nitro Sport shocks but they seem to get really bad reviews? OE are cheap but I read that they will limit the travel, with the 2" lift.

Suggestions/pointers/any-help is welcome. Thanks.

Last edited:
I’ve got the OME 860 springs on the rear of my son’s relatively lightweight 100 series, and we’ve been quite pleased with them.

We’ve got OME torsion bars on all three of ours:

One has an ARB bumper & Warn 10k winch.

One has a hidden winch mount & 10k winch.

One is mostly stock on the front.

We’ve tried some of the thicker (32mm) aftermarket torsion bars, and they were too stiff for our needs. The OME bars are a hair stiff on the front of the “mostly stock front”, but not bad enough to swap with some non-AHC bars that I have on a shelf.

If it were me, and you’re stock on the front, I’d lean towards 860 springs with factory (non-AHC) torsion bars.

We just exorcised the OME shocks from my son’s vehicle, and I would not recommend them. My preferred shocks are in the “foam shock” price range. I’d be looking at OEM shocks, or maybe the Dobinsons twin tubes long before the OME.

One caution, lifting an 80 series 2” is pretty trivial, while lifting the 100 series IFS 2” is getting close to living on the edge.

I’ve got the OME 860 springs on the rear of my son’s relatively lightweight 100 series, and we’ve been quite pleased with them.

We’ve got OME torsion bars on all three of ours:

One has an ARB bumper & Warn 10k winch.

One has a hidden winch mount & 10k winch.

One is mostly stock on the front.

We’ve tried some of the thicker (32mm) aftermarket torsion bars, and they were too stiff for our needs. The OME bars are a hair stiff on the front of the “mostly stock front”, but not bad enough to swap with some non-AHC bars that I have on a shelf.

If it were me, and you’re stock on the front, I’d lean towards 860 springs with factory (non-AHC) torsion bars.
Thanks, that is exactly the kind of confirmation I was looking for. I guess I can do piecemeal upgrades - start with the rear springs, drive around and then do the torsion bars, if needed and then the shocks. It is a DD so any flaws with only swapping the rear springs will become obvious quick. Fortunately, the springs are the cheapest component so if the rear lift is too much, I can go down to the OME 2865 or "stock" springs that can handle the load. Or, just add some more weight, lol.

We just exorcised the OME shocks from my son’s vehicle, and I would not recommend them. My preferred shocks are in the “foam shock” price range. I’d be looking at OEM shocks, or maybe the Dobinsons twin tubes long before the OME.
Maybe I will leave the Bilstein's in place for now and see how it pans out. They are about 4 years old but I guess no point dropping $$$ on the foam shocks if I am not yet sure how it will all settle.

One caution, lifting an 80 series 2” is pretty trivial, while lifting the 100 series IFS 2” is getting close to living on the edge.
Oh yeah. I started off-road builds with a Suzuki Samurai, then a Toyota '85 PU and now the 80-series. I intentionally never bothered building the 100 because of all variables and suspension geometry changes involved in lifting an IFS truck (and also it is a DD so don't want to experiment much with whatever the wife also drives). My intention with the rear spring swap is to keep it level with all the weight and keep my current tire setup. Learned the hard way that lifts on non-leaf spring trucks is a LOT more than springs, shocks and tires :D On the 100, don't care much about off-roading except some fire trails and over-landing.

Well, thanks again for sharing your setup. Is really helpful.

Edit: Dobinsons twin tube certainly look a lot more affordable. Going to read more reviews of them.

Last edited:
Maybe I will leave the Bilstein's in place for now and see how it pans out. They are about 4 years old but I guess no point dropping $$$ on the foam shocks if I am not yet sure how it will all settle.

I know that there were reports of at least one Bilstein model, for the 100 series, that was actually a bit shorter than the factory shocks. Probably not a huge deal at stock height, but increasingly important as you add a little lift.

You may want to do a little digging in this forum for “Bilstein 4600”, or you might be a very unhappy camper, with little to no droop (which does make these vehicles ride like s***).

Dobinsons twin tube certainly look a lot more affordable. Going to read more reviews of them.

I’m a huge fan of their monotubes, but they’re in the foam shock price range, that you said that you’d rather not be in.

@crikeymike might be able to offer some advice on the twin tubes.

- Torsion bars, get the OME HD torsion bars (or some other brand)? Or stay with OE?
Stay with the OE bars and just give the adjusting bolts a few turns to lift the front end a bit.
- Shocks - some people seem to be happy with OE shocks ($40 each) with lift, others swear by the foam cell shocks (Ironman, Tough Dog etc).
New OEM Tokico shocks are the best bang for the buck.
OE are cheap but I read that they will limit the travel, with the 2" lift.
Not sure where you read that but it’s not true. The OE Tokico shocks actually have slightly more travel than many of the aftermarket shocks. I’ve been running OE Tokico shocks with 860 coils for years without any issues.

Stay with the OE bars and just give the adjusting bolts a few turns to lift the front end a bit.

Not sure where you read that but it’s not true. The OE Tokico shocks actually have slightly more travel than many of the aftermarket shocks. I’ve been running OE Tokico shocks with 860 coils for years without any issues.
I’ve been meaning to ask you, where is the comparison of OEM shocks to aftermarket on the travel? I remember you mentioning that in another convo, and meant to ask. Genuinely curious.

I know that there were reports of at least one Bilstein model, for the 100 series, that was actually a bit shorter than the factory shocks. Probably not a huge deal at stock height, but increasingly important as you add a little lift.

You may want to do a little digging in this forum for “Bilstein 4600”, or you might be a very unhappy camper, with little to no droop (which does make these vehicles ride like s***).
BILSTEIN!!!! :mad::bang:

Again, appreciate the warning. Glad you caught it.

Reactions: jLB

So:
  1. Torsion bars - stay with OE
  2. New OE/Tokico shocks
  3. OME 860 coil for rear
Cool! I saw other threads with pics of 860 in the rear - looks good. Thanks.

New OE/Tokico shocks

One last caution, it is my understanding that the OE shocks come with new bushings, but not the associated washers/retainers. If you haven’t kept yours, you may want to check prices on those.

I’ve been meaning to ask you, where is the comparison of OEM shocks to aftermarket on the travel? I remember you mentioning that in another convo, and meant to ask. Genuinely curious.
The numbers are Floating around in a shock thread on here.

So:
  1. Torsion bars - stay with OE
  2. New OE/Tokico shocks
  3. OME 860 coil for rear
Cool! I saw other threads with pics of 860 in the rear - looks good. Thanks.
This is what I've done, and have been happy with them. Mine is my daily, and use it to haul a 2,600 lb. camper, bikes, canoes, etc. and it's been great. It feels a bit stiff when on bumpy roads, when completely unloaded, but my old springs were super soft and worn out. Before I changed the springs I added air helper springs, and I haven't touched them since I put the 860s in.

One last caution, it is my understanding that the OE shocks come with new bushings, but not the associated washers/retainers. If you haven’t kept yours, you may want to check prices on those.

Wondering if there is a parts list floating around somewhere? Any pointers will be appreciated. So many part numbers, I am thoroughly confused.

Retainers:
90948-02176 (Retainer, Cushion, NO.3) Lower - qty required - 2
90948-02182 (Retainer, Cushion, NO.3) Upper - qty required - 2
90948-02175 (Retainer, Cushion, NO.3) Upper - qty required - 2
90540-17006 (Retainer, Cushion, NO.1) qty required - 4

Says, required qty is 2 - is that for one side or both? So to do the front, do I need 2 or 4? They are sold in quantity of 1 (so helpful Toyota!). And where's retainer for Cushion No 2? And where's Cushion No. 3 that they are selling me a retainer for?

And cushions:
90948-02174 (Cushion, Front Shock Absorber, NO.1) qty required - 2
90948-02174 (Cushion, Front Shock Absorber, NO.2) qty required - 2
Again, where's my Cushion No. 3 that they are selling me retainers for?

And two different part numbers for front shocks -
48511-69467
48511-69466

And rear shocks are unavailable. I tried CruiserParts' site that shows the Tokico shocks in stock but have they gone out of business? No one responds to emails or phone. Again, my apologies if looks like I am going insane because I am :D Have a diesel Willys build and remodeling - all going in parallel. And there's an 80 that is in need of some love. Hopefully, I come through on my promise of finishing my projects before summer, lol. Thanks again :)

Also, do I need a diff drop kit to go with the OME 860 in the rear?

Last edited:
Ok, I think I got all the parts and part numbers figured out. Sorry, for all the hardware, I lost all the front vs rear labels. If I am correct, here's the list for doing front and rear.

PartPart NumberQty
Cushion90540-170064
Retainer90948-021744
Retainer90948-021762
Bushing90903-890162
Front Shock48511-694672
Bolt/w Washer90119-140932
Nut90179-140452
Nut Lock90177-140034
Bolt/w Washer90901-190522
Bushing90385-190102
Retainer90948-021736
Cushion90948-010644
Rear Shocks48531-695572

Wondering if there is a parts list floating around somewhere? Any pointers will be appreciated. So many part numbers, I am thoroughly confused.

Retainers:
90948-02176 (Retainer, Cushion, NO.3) Lower - qty required - 2
90948-02182 (Retainer, Cushion, NO.3) Upper - qty required - 2
90948-02175 (Retainer, Cushion, NO.3) Upper - qty required - 2
90540-17006 (Retainer, Cushion, NO.1) qty required - 4

Says, required qty is 2 - is that for one side or both? So to do the front, do I need 2 or 4? They are sold in quantity of 1 (so helpful Toyota!). And where's retainer for Cushion No 2? And where's Cushion No. 3 that they are selling me a retainer for?

And cushions:
90948-02174 (Cushion, Front Shock Absorber, NO.1) qty required - 2
90948-02174 (Cushion, Front Shock Absorber, NO.2) qty required - 2
Again, where's my Cushion No. 3 that they are selling me retainers for?

And two different part numbers for front shocks -
48511-69467
48511-69466

And rear shocks are unavailable. I tried CruiserParts' site that shows the Tokico shocks in stock but have they gone out of business? No one responds to emails or phone. Again, my apologies if looks like I am going insane because I am :D Have a diesel Willys build and remodeling - all going in parallel. And there's an 80 that is in need of some love. Hopefully, I come through on my promise of finishing my projects before summer, lol. Thanks again :)

Also, do I need a diff drop kit to go with the OME 860 in the rear?

I'm wondering the same thing RE: cruiserparts - I ordered parts from them, paid for them, and haven't heard from them in a while. Historically they can be slow, but always come through - this time seems a little different. Anyone know anything? I hope everything is good - they are a great resource!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom