Torsion Bar Sounds and Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First of all, I'm new here and I do not consider myself much of a DIY guy. I thought the Land Cruiser would be a fun way to learn how to do some things myself.

A few months ago, I ordered the 100 Series Tough Dog Suspension Kit. It came with the 41mm front/45 mm adj rear shocks, torsion bars with brackets and rear coils. I also got the Diff Drop and the Extended Sway Links front and back. I had them professionally installed here in Kentucky by a Jeep shop. When I got it, the back was riding really high and the front was really low (very much a stinkbug look). I tried to correct it myself by getting under there and cranking the T-bars up. One side must’ve been installed incorrectly by the Jeep shop because there was no room for adjustment with the T-Bar bolt. I thought I could handle reindexing it and cranking it up. I have read the forums and have tried to follow the recommendations of the 1” rake and 50mm droop. However, now there has developed a bad sound when I drive it and the height dropped an inch and a half just driving around the block. I’ve been working on it the past two days making sure the tines on the front of the T-bar line up in the housing correctly. I’m not sure what to do about it. At a 1” rake and 50mm droop, I am really happy with the way it levels it out. I just really don’t know where to go from here. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks,
John

When you re indexed the bar did you make sure the adjustor "saddle" like thing was seated correctly in the mount on the adjuster end? I know I had to adjust mine a little to get it sitting right when I installed new bars.

Sounds also like maybe you adjusted the spline offset in the wrong direction , or were you able to get it to the height you wanted and then it dropped?

The bars can settle a bit after adjustment and you may need to crank it up some more

I had them professionally installed here in Kentucky by a Jeep shop.
👆🏽Mistake #1.

Where in KY are you located? Depending on where you are, I have some buddies that can help you fix this.

When you re indexed the bar did you make sure the adjustor "saddle" like thing was seated correctly in the mount on the adjuster end? I know I had to adjust mine a little to get it sitting right when I installed new bars.

Sounds also like maybe you adjusted the spline offset in the wrong direction , or were you able to get it to the height you wanted and then it dropped?
I think the saddle is on correctly. It seems like everything is sitting snuggly. I was able to get it to the right height when it was just sitting there.
👆🏽Mistake #1.

Where in KY are you located? Depending on where you are, I have some buddies that can help you fix this.
Haha. I think you are right. I wish I knew some people around here that knew what they were doing. I am in Louisville.

I think the saddle is on correctly. It seems like everything is sitting snuggly. I was able to get it to the right height when it was just sitting there.

Haha. I think you are right. I wish I knew some people around here that knew what they were doing. I am in Louisville.
All my buddies are east of Louisville a ways, but @Willy beamin might know somebody in the greater Louisville area to get it fixed.

I messaged him info on two toyota shops. One is our club KYTLCA.org president and another is a club members fab shop.
thanks for tagging me and good luck John!

I'm interested in the sound you heard. After I re indexed my bars they made a clunk sound when I lowered the truck of the jack the first time. It scared me initially, but it's been fine since. I attributed it to the bars settling into place.

I'm interested in the sound you heard. After I re indexed my bars they made a clunk sound when I lowered the truck of the jack the first time. It scared me initially, but it's been fine since. I attributed it to the bars settling into place.
Sorry I am slow to respond. I’ve been in Puerto Rico this week. The sound was a clunk at first, but then sounded more like grinding as I would turn or accelerate.

Sorry I am slow to respond. I’ve been in Puerto Rico this week. The sound was a clunk at first, but then sounded more like grinding as I would turn or accelerate.
As a follow up to anyone who might come across this thread, the issue was with the CV boot. I guess after raising it up in the front a little, it added more pressure on some worn out parts. Time to get in there and do some maintenance.

As a follow up to anyone who might come across this thread, the issue was with the CV boot. I guess after raising it up in the front a little, it added more pressure on some worn out parts. Time to get in there and do some maintenance.
Hi, Are you still having the funny sounds after turning the torsion bars. I have an IRONMAN 2 inch list w/diff drop. I like the 1 inch rake. But my driver side bar sometimes makes a sounds.

Might need to turn it down some

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom