Torsion Bar Reloading Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just did all my Front end bushings. I just put in the LCA and am trying to re-load the torsion bars. It seems like the anchor arm is trying to crab out of it's bracket as I torque it. Any ideas about how to counter this?

20200527_174356.jpg

20200527_174519.jpg

I just did all my Front end bushings. I just put in the LCA and am trying to re-load the torsion bars. It seems like the anchor arm is trying to crab out of it's bracket as I torque it. Any ideas about how to counter this?

View attachment 2321021

View attachment 2321022
I used an electric impact and used my other free hand to push down and hold im place on the flat spot on top of what’s pictured. Tension will hold it in place once you get going. Lube bolt well before starting.

Last edited:
I used an electric impact and used my other free hand to push down and hold in place of the flat spot on top of what’s pictured. Tension will hold it in place once you get going. Lube bolt well before starting.

I was using an impact too. Little afraid of sticking my hand in there. I did hold it to get it started and tensioned a bit. But when I continued torquing it started to crawl out. I was thinkiing about lubing the bolt, what do you use on it?

I was using an impact too. Little afraid of sticking my hand in there. I did hold it to get it started and tensioned a bit. But when I continued torquing it started to crawl out. I was thinkiing about lubing the bolt, what do you use on it?
I just used grease I had on hand, red mobile 1. It seems to try and go over the rearward lip, maybe a large c clamp could help hold in place, or pry bar from above levering downward to hold in place? Sometimes it good to take 5 and give it some thought before continuing.

I just used grease I had on hand, red mobile 1. It seems to try and go over the rearward lip, maybe a large c clamp could help hold in place, or pry bar from above levering downward to hold in place? Sometimes it good to take 5 and give it some thought before continuing.

Heh, yeah, that's what I'm doing chatting with you!

Don't even think about sticking your hand in there if there is any amount of torque already on the torsion bar.
Also, are you doing it with the car being lifted (jacked up, so tbar is unloaded?) - that's a must IMO.

Don't even think about sticking your hand in there if there is any amount of torque already on the torsion bar.
Also, are you doing it with the car being lifted (jacked up, so tbar is unloaded?) - that's a must IMO.

Yeah, front is off the ground on jackstands. I did the front end and I am doing the reassembly. After seeing what it was doing I backed it off and started it lined up with my hand holding it. But as soon as it started torqueing well I got my paw out of there. Torsion bar scares the crap out of me.

All I did was knock the torque arm back onto the shaft a little after the torques was unloaded when I removed the LCA. No match marks shifted or anything. Bolted the two nuts back up and torque'd them down and did the passenger side. Started the drivers side and saw it kinda going sideways a bit.

Only thing I can think of is to lube the bolt a bit and see if it pulls down better, as in more evenly.

I'm definitely open to suggestions or observations.

I lubed the bolt on mine using some grease that I had handy. I also lubed the TB splines. It popped back into place without effort. Then I remember centering the half moon by hand and started the torque up slowly by hand. It hasn't shifted yet. Though I haven't fully torqued it up until I get closer to having all the other components mounted.

First time working with Torsion bars.

Got this done today. I think the elegant simplicity of Toyota's implementation here had me thinking I didn't have to pay attention to how this system was re-loaded. That was not correct. I thought all I needed to do was hit the gun.

I think my real issue was that arm that the bar threads into at the rear. It really was a bit cockeyed in it's alignment, after I fooled around with this for a while I noticed that. This made everything a bit off and really kinda scary. Looked like a hard pothole hit could have knocked it loose back there because of how that arm was shifted fore or aft.

The solution was simple, the issue wasn't that top piece I shot the pic of. It was a symptom of the problem. It was the arm needed adjusted either fore or aft a bit. Prybar positioned everything, and then I re-loaded the spring up until the impact gun started hitting, then I switched over to a ratchet. Done!

Are the front anchor bolts loose or tight, you can try adjusting there to give slack or tighten it up to help hold rear in place just a thought

I like your Avatar!

I took a Field Zoology course back in the day a Southeastern Louisiana University. One of the things we had to do was collect mammals for points. I caught this Raccoon. Let me tell ya, they ain't all sweetness and light when you got one cornered. Took him in to get my points, and when I was leaving these black construction guys asked me what I was going to do with him. I told them he was part of my relocation program. I was relocating him from my backyard/garbage can area to someplace else!

The guy says you want to sell him? I said sure, what you want him for. He said, "I eats 'em". How much you give me? He said $10. So knowing full well how I was going to play this, I reached down, and cracked the door of the cage open a few inches, that Raccoon goes ballistic and turns into a Tasmanian devil, I said, SOLD!!! Ya gotta Bag? These guys are jumpin around, hoopin and hoolerin convinced I'm going to let this devil loose. They said no, we'll take him in the cage. I said , naw the cage cost me $25, I'll take $35 for the coon and the cage. No deal, they wanted it all for 10.

So I ended up letting that Bandit looking character loose in Hammond, LA. Hope he didn't have a family...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom