Torsion bar adjustment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My goal is to not completely level my lifted LX, but to get reduce the front low look. I was going to do this my moderately cranking the torsion bars (3 or 4 turns) and the bolts are nearly impossible to turn. Even with a 6' cheater bar. I didn't over crank on it as I didn't want to risk damage. Yes, they are VERY well lubricated. Is it possible they are already cranked as far as they can be? I bought it recently used so I don't know if it's already been done. How can I tell if it's maxed out? Thanks!!

The front tires are completely off the ground, and I can loosen the bolt easier than tighten it. I guessing it's maxed?

Pics of the driver side

IMG_0600.JPG

IMG_0602.JPG

IMG_0603.JPG

IMG_0604.JPG

This is what I was told it has. I've only had this a week so still learning. I don't know squat about "Indexing"..... or "LCA". But I'll get there thanks to people like you and the others in this group!

IMG_0607.PNG

They're definitely maxed out. On a non-rusty rig turning them with a 1/2 drive breaker bars should be fairly easy, especially if the front wheels are jacked up off the ground.

My drivers side looked like this about an hour ago. Pretty much nothing left. I reindexed.
12EA0554-2BD7-4DF6-A77C-9653F525765F.jpeg

This is the how to thread:
Pay close attention to this post I just made in particular.

Last edited:
Got it. Now I understand how a torsion bar works, and what I need to do to re-index. Looks like I'll need to index it 2 splines. Next week project along with installing new front diff. bushing. Thank you all for your help.

Did the re-indexing today. Way easier than I expected. No issues, but I'm glad I did it because the drivers side front was what I would call too loose. Barely took any effort to get the nuts off at all.

I turned mine as far as I could. I can see no disadvantage to doing so.
Mine were maxed out too. Wanted a little more lift so I indexed them. As it turns out, I couldn't get maybe another 3/4 inch and still have close to a 50mm droop. The CV's look at a little severe angle, but I'll probably look into installing a Diff drop.

Last edited:
Just reindexed my driver side torsion bar. My torque wrench only goes to 150ft lbs. I set it to 150 and clicked it a few times, then moved over to my 24" breaker bar and gave it a few extra hard pulls. Do you think that's enough or should I go rent a torque wrench from a parts store to get it to 166?

Just reindexed my driver side torsion bar. My torque wrench only goes to 150ft lbs. I set it to 150 and clicked it a few times, then moved over to my 24" breaker bar and gave it a few extra hard pulls. Do you think that's enough or should I go rent a torque wrench from a parts store to get it to 166?

It’s probably fine. I keep a torque wrench in my truck but didn’t bother torquing those to spec, just gave it all I had with a 2’ breaker bar and called it good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom