Torquing ALL your knuckle arm nuts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My experience has been, no problems with inboard nuts, but the outer ones - next to dust shield - it has not been the dust shield - but the tire is in the way. So I remove the front tires. Yes, dust shield needs to be pried out of the way and I'll usually lose socket off extension when removing. No one here has mentioned this, so just asking if this is experienced by others?

Btw, IMHO, it would seem that washboard roads or even hitting potholes on a regular basis would stress these at least as much as serious rock crawling. So you don't need to just check 'um regularily if you rock crawl. If you own an 80 - check 'um!

I can easily put more than rated torque on the fasteners with a 1/2" drive extended ratchet. IIRC, those fasteners torque very close to yield, over tightening will ruin them. As you say, torque check is less than ideal, but years of experience has shown it to be beneficial.
[/QUOTE]

I am not a big guy, I do this on my back on the floor, I would have to put my legs against something and push to over torque them. Typically I slide around a lot on the floor when stuff is tight :doh:, it can be a struggle.

Last edited:
I can easily put more than rated torque on the fasteners with a 1/2" drive extended ratchet. IIRC, those fasteners torque very close to yield, over tightening will ruin them. As you say, torque check is less than ideal, but years of experience has shown it to be beneficial.

I am not a big guy, I do this on my back on the floor, I would have to put my legs against something and push to over torque them. Typically I slide around a lot on the floor when stuff is tight :doh:, it can be a struggle.
[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately I don’t wear a size 28 anymore. At my size with a 1/2” ratchet i can easily over torque.

Always loosen before torquing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom