Torque Wrench for crankshaft pulley? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cannon88

In the duck blind...
Threads
Anyone near Ft. Worth, TX have a torque wrench I could borrow to torque my crank pulley? Mine only goes to 250 ft lbs and I am having a very hard time finding one to rent. :bang::bang:

Any other solutions out there?

Any other solutions out there?

1. Get an "extender" to multiply the torque of your wrench.

2. Old skool approach: Measure how much you weigh when you are hanging off the end of a breaker bar using a large fish scale. Divide your weight by the number of foot pounds you want (300) to find the length of the bar to grip that will give you 300 pounds. Example: You weigh 150 pounds and you have a 2 foot bar will give you 300 foot pounds.

go to NAPA and see if they rent one.

Pin_Head's suggestion is probably the best one, short of going to Harbor Freight and buying their cheap 3/4" torque wrench. Or of course borrowing one.

Foot/lbs is calculated by multiplying the distance from the bolt to where the weight is applied by the weight itself. If you're a 200 pound guy, you place all your weight 1.5 feet down the bar from the bolt (i.e. 200 * 1.5" = 300 ft/lbs). Keep in mind you want the contact area where your weight is applied to be as small as possible in order to maintain accuracy. And you want the bar to be level/parallel with the ground...

go to NAPA and see if they rent one.

Tried my local NAPA and they didn't carry anything near that haha.
Guess it depends on where you live who knows.

I couldn't find one anywhere either and ended up just buying the HF one.:) All I can say is that the sucker is huge.:)

I used a fence post as a lever on my 250 lb torque wrench....I gave it a good hard pull after it clicked so it was a seat of my pants 300 llbs....been fine for the last 35k...

I used a fence post as a lever on my 250 lb torque wrench....I gave it a good hard pull after it clicked so it was a seat of my pants 300 llbs....been fine for the last 35k...

It is not rocket science.

Well, I had a friend I work with track one down for me, brought it to me today. One that goes to 600 ft lbs. Good suggestions in here guys, I appreciate it.

I bought a 3/4" breaker bar from Harbor Freight along with a set of impact sockets including the one for the crank pulley all for $65 or so.

Lucky me I have a Harbor Freight store about 12 miles away.

I couldn't afford the torque wrench at the time.

Yeah, I have a Harbor Freight just a couple of minutes from me too. I got the socket they had in the size I needed on sale today for $2.27 The same size at Sears was $24. I wont buy many long term tools from HF (mainly because of quality), but something I will only use once or twice I will definitely get it from there for a fraction of the cost.

used a HF one and the check window/brass drift method.

absolutely not! He claimed that the torque spec could be negated using locktite.

The consequences of not following this simple instruction from the FSM is so extreme that anyone who would think otherwise and then promote that idea should not be followed.
I was only refering to post 52# where I used a torque converter to do the job right, not anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom