Torque Spec for Fan-to-Clutch and Water Pump Pulley (Not in FSM)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
Title says it all. They provide the spec for the water pump (15 ft-lb) and the fan shroud (43 in-lb)--but that's it.

Ready to fit @NLXTACY WITS' END blue hub, wanna get it right...

Thanks for any help!

For the fan, tiny studs = snug down with a medium sized wrench or you'll break the stud (I've broken a few). Don't know what "snug" equates to in ft-lbs, but not much!

For the fan, tiny studs = snug down with a medium sized wrench or you'll break the stud (I've broken a few). Don't know what "snug" equates to in ft-lbs, but not much!

^^^^^ ;)

Hah,

When I was in college (many years ago) I had a 1969 Jaguar XKE roadster. I needed to replace the drivers side Cam/Valve cover gasket. In the manual it directed me to lift the 'Bonnet' (hood) and with the 'Spanner' (wrench) address the nut 'Smartly'.

Never did figure out what 'smartly' equated to.....but those nuts were on there pretty tight.

Have done a bunch of fan upgrades for folks. If the nuts are beat up, I replace them with new. I use a standard length box end and tighten them until the belt starts to slip or the motor starts to roll over. Yea, I know, it means the belt tension needs to be consistant, but I've got that.

Have done a bunch of fan upgrades for folks. If the nuts are beat up, I replace them with new. I use a standard length box end and tighten them until the belt starts to slip or the motor starts to roll over. Yea, I know, it means the belt tension needs to be consistant, but I've got that.

Next question: the previous owner, bless his heart, put these things on so tight I can’t get them off with my hands. I’m going to have to stand on a wrench. Before I do that – – when facing the windshield and loosening the nuts On the fan pulley, that means turning the nuts counter clockwise, correct?

Yeah, so. That was a little optimistic. The nuts are on the police so tight, the other surfaces are stripping when I try to loosen them by turning counterclockwise. Suggestions?

Next question: the previous owner, bless his heart, put these things on so tight I can’t get them off with my hands. I’m going to have to stand on a wrench. Before I do that – – when facing the windshield and loosening the nuts On the fan pulley, that means turning the nuts counter clockwise, correct?
Yes. Just find a large screw driver or bar that you can fir between the other nuts/studs to hold the assembly from spinning.

Yes. Just find a large screw driver or bar that you can fir between the other nuts/studs to hold the assembly from spinning.
Went with two pair of vise grips. Both as tight as I can possibly get them. And still they move, stripping the outer surfaces of the nuts.

Any other ideas?

I do have a new water pump here, so I’m thinking worst-case, remove the whole thing if it will fit without removing the radiator, buy a new pulley, and use the new parts. I kind of wanted to avoid that until I swap the radiator and do the main seal and oil pump cover seal. Can I even remove the water pump without taking the pulley off first?

Alternatives welcome!

Last edited:
Use two wrenches one to hold one to break loose. As in put one wrench on one nut the hold towards tightening then other wrench on one nut to loosen, use the closed end not the open. Or like said a bar or screw driver between studs. It helps to loosen in one quick motion. Or you can push the belt down tight making it so the engine won’t roll.

Use two wrenches one to hold one to break loose. As in put one wrench on one nut the hold towards tightening then other wrench on one nut to loosen, use the closed end not the open. Or like said a bar or screw driver between studs. It helps to loosen in one quick motion. Or you can push the belt down tight making it so the engine won’t roll.
Yeah I’m using two pair of vise grips. Wrenches aren’t working because the six points are stripped off. Vice grips extremely tight. But not working; Just slow-slip and deform the metal...

Yes vice grips will prob kill the nuts which it sounds like; how bout a line wrench

Yes vice grips will prob kill the nuts which it sounds like; how bout a line wrench
Too far gone for that. Too cramped to get an angle grinder down there. Can I get the water pump off with the pulley still in place? And will the fan-clutch-pump assembly come out of there in one piece?

I smack the tool with a hammer, the impact usually knocks the nut loose.

Have a pulley on the way. I'm just gonna take the whole thing off at the water pump. Assuming the PO didn't screw that up as well. On which note, it took me and a genius-level Cruiserhead (truly; I have yet to meet his Cruiser equal) sixteen freaking hours to do the front bearings and seals, swap front rotors-brake assemblies-brake lines, and change out a cracked spindle he spotted. How do you crack a spindle???

While I'm in there today, with the shroud tilted back, I see water pooled in the lip at the bottom of the radiator, and a wet green line from the top of the fins to the bottom. Looks like the radiator's coming out anyway. Which means I may as well do the oil pump cover and main seal sooner rather than later. Sh*t...

I don’t think the non-genius Cruiser amateur is non to proud of spending that much time on an axle

I don’t think the non-genius Cruiser amateur is non to proud of spending that much time on an axle

Yeah, I think I won't mention how long I spent doing my front axle a couple of months ago. :lol:

@jaymar get you a set of these Irwin bolt extractor these will bite into the nut or bolt and take off the nut. I have used them they work well. There are other brands also
984190F6-A3B7-4CAB-9C91-DFFE629D5A0C.png

@jaymar get you a set of these Irwin bolt extractor these will bite into the nut or bolt and take off the nut. I have used them they work well. ...

On fan clutch nuts, not seeing it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom