Torque setting and belt tension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, would anyone happen to have handy the torque spec for both the AC idler bolt and power steering idler bolt setting? Haven't been able to find them.

And secondly the manual has a belt deflection amount at Xnm but I cannot find any gauge that does this. What are people using and what rating for belt tension, I'd rather not use the thumb method.

Thanks !!!!

Since you are not in Canada, you are supposed to tension based on deflection with a specific deflection load applied (aka thumb force).

I use something called a Krikit or Crikit

Amazon product ASIN B004TB2VZI
For that I use the Canadian spec and try and get the 100lbs tension reading

1680708000994.png

Are you talking about the idler adjustment bolts? Those don't have a torque spec.
If you google "belt tension gauge" it will pull up the tool.

I have an 1985 supplement to the body and chassis manaual (Publication 36274A) that dropped the "ex. Canada" part for belt tension for the AC belt. It just lists the tension in lbs.

There are tables in various FSMs that have standard bolt torque specifications. This is based on bolt class and size. If you know the properties of the bolts used for the idle pulleys you can use the indicated torque.

1680709031795.png

1680709056961.png

Have you found those bolt torques to line up with proper belt tension?

There is a tool called a Burrows belt tension gauge — and I purchased one. After using it a few times, I found that it was very difficult to get a reliable reading because the big belts are notched.

The BEST method I found is to use the thumb pressure method. If the belt feels too tight when pressing down on it - it IS too tight.
And if the belt seems too loose — it IS too loose.
Common sense is the best tension gauge to adjust the belts. I’ve experienced it firsthand.

A loose belt isn’t going to jump the pulleys — it’s going to slip and you’ll hear it. So if the belts aren’t slipping (and screeching) then the tension isn’t too loose.

A too tight belt is easy to detect. It feels too freaking tight.

Last edited:
Have you found those bolt torques to line up with proper belt tension?
Me? no. I was creating my post when you posted yours. I was assuming the OP was asking about the idle pulley fixing bolts, not any tension bolts (my FJ60 has one idle pulley and it is not used as a tension pulley). Your comment is right on if the OP is talking about torque settings for tension bolts. You don't torque those bolts.

Oooooooh. gotcha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom