Torque multipliers. Need some help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Never seen or used one before don‘t know who makes a good one.
I had a friend of my fathers that loaned us a 3/4 drive old snap on tq wrench that would handle the 450ft lbs I had on my truck but he has moved and I’m not on that side of town ever now. My 1/2 in only goes to 250 I think, have to ck that. So I’m needing a solution for the truck and it’s looking like for the cruiser for few things.
Any mudders have knowledge I seek of these deals? Tia

Super duty frt end and 80 series balancer on the 1fzed

I watched a diesel mechanic in Baja do this:

Put a bathroom scale 6 feet from the bolt, put a breaker bar on the bolt and a long pipe cheater. Then stand on the scale and tighten the bolt until the scale added the correct weight. For example 400 ft-pound requires 67 pounds at 6 feet.

Last edited:
I've done similar makeshift setups for high torque applications. When I changed the rear axle bearings in my G-Wagen I had to make a tool for the nut. I bolted it to the bar from my hi-lift jack, divided the required torque by my weight and measured out that length on the bar. When I put all my weight on it in a horizontal position the nut was torqued correctly.

You could make a simple multiplier by taking a piece of plate or a bar, welding a stubby extension to one end for the socket and an old socket on the other end (or file a square hole) to attach the torque wrench. The distance between the centers of the two would be the length to add to the torque wrench when calculating the torque setting. For example, a 18" extension on a 28" torque wrench would have a multiplication factor of 1.64, so to get 400ft-lbs the torque wrench would have to be set at 244ft-lbs.

I’ve used them working on heavy railroad equipment. We had neiko in that shop. Pretty simple to use, but can be difficult to set up depending on what space your trying to use it in. You have to let the bar bind up on something strong enough to take the pressure your putting on it, and also not slip.

I don’t see why anyone would need one in a automotive application. These things are for putting thousands of ftlbs on bolts.