Wanted Torque Converter for HDJ81 (A442F full hydro) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
Looking for a good condition Torque Converter for my HDJ81 w/ full hydraulic A442F transmission. Im in SoCal.

Just saw on one of the FB threads how a gas one will work and give you a couple hundred more rpm of stall which will should you to build a bit more boost on take off. I wish I could remember which one Aussies said it, I know he's on Mud. If I can find it I'll tag him in this thread.

Interesting. I spoke with Wholesale Automatic Transmission today and they said gasser TCs won't work. I posted their quote in my thread in the Diesel Tech sub forum. Would be great if they do though...

Here's our convo from messenger, "I remember a thread within the last day or 2 here on FB where there was a comment regarding the use of a FZJ torque converter being used behind a 1HD. Could have sworn in was you however I can't find it. You remember anything like that? Reason I'm asking is there's a guy on Mud looking one an 1hd TC here in S. California and was trying to help him out. Best. " "yep same same but petrol 1fz version will have 800 rpm higher stall which makes the diesel alot nicer to drive off the mark, towing and wheeling. especially nice if it has pump mods and more boost too."

Man that's wild. WAT says it won't work at all so I'm not sure what to believe. Good news is I found a place in Arizona that will rebuild mine and it looks like some others on here have used them before for their diesel cruisers.

I’ve heard from multiple sources that they are different. I think the pump interface is different between the 3fe/a440 and 1fz/a442 and the diesels.

RoadRunner is good, if that’s the arizona guys you’re talking about.

Man that's wild. WAT says it won't work at all so I'm not sure what to believe. Good news is I found a place in Arizona that will rebuild mine and it looks like some others on here have used them before for their diesel cruisers.

Agreed and havent been free to research more on the Aussie sites.

Bump. Roadrunner in Arizona says my old TQ is not repairable. Anybody with an extra TQ, please contact me!

Just FYI wholesale has told me in several instances that nothing I’ve ever tried to do will work... they were wrong every time.

Also, the pump for the a442F on the 1HDT is the same exact pump for the 3FE a442F, I’ve interchanged them more than once and they share the same exact part number.

the torque converter for a 1HDT is definitely more heavy duty than the gas version. The diesel one is bigger, but from pump coupling to pilot nipple they are the same size, so I’m sure it will work, but for how long who knows?

please let us know if you try it and what the outcome is, because I don’t think anyone on here has had the nuts to try it yet, or they just haven’t posted anything if they did. I would think the worst that could happen is you tear up a junk yard torque converter ...

Just FYI wholesale has told me in several instances that nothing I’ve ever tried to do will work... they were wrong every time.

Also, the pump for the a442F on the 1HDT is the same exact pump for the 3FE a442F, I’ve interchanged them more than once and they share the same exact part number.

the torque converter for a 1HDT is definitely more heavy duty than the gas version. The diesel one is bigger, but from pump coupling to pilot nipple they are the same size, so I’m sure it will work, but for how long who knows?

please let us know if you try it and what the outcome is, because I don’t think anyone on here has had the nuts to try it yet, or they just haven’t posted anything if they did. I would think the worst that could happen is you tear up a junk yard torque converter ...

LOL i've been through enough torture chasing drive train issues for the past year and a half. Not sure I even have the balls to test things anymore given i've just rebuilt the transmission.

Well if all you need is a torque converter, they are available new. I just looked one up for a customer not that long ago, wasn’t cheap, but still around...for now

Yea...not willing to pay $1,800 to get one from Amayama just yet. If that's my only option, im better off waiting 2 months and getting a billet TQ from WAT - it'll be cheaper too.

They were about $1600 when I was pricing them last fall, amayama will indicate they have parts they don’t have, then you get a refund a week later and your stuck looking for the part again. The customer I was helping with his torque converter had a WAT billet converter that went bad, so not sure I’m sold on those either. Land cruiser parts ain’t cheap, but I’m an OEM man all the way.

Any info on where to purchase new? I'm in panama looking for a unit to bring back to to the USA to rebuild. Quite honestly, I would be OK with paying $1,600 to avoid all of the BS.... I have a 97 80 series with 1HD-T and A442 Trans. I dont wheel it hard or tow with it, so maybe a gasser option would work. Cant get them here though....

Any info on where to purchase new? I'm in panama looking for a unit to bring back to to the USA to rebuild. Quite honestly, I would be OK with paying $1,600 to avoid all of the BS.... I have a 97 80 series with 1HD-T and A442 Trans. I dont wheel it hard or tow with it, so maybe a gasser option would work. Cant get them here though....

You can buy a brand new torque converter on Amayama for $1,750 shipped to California. I placed my order this week and its supposed to arrive sometime next week. It's ridiculous how much it costs, but nobody in North America (that I could find) had a working extra unit and I did not want to wait on a billet torque converter from Wholesale Automatics in Australia. Going for a used one was already going to be a risk since I went down that road before and it didn't work out - this is now my THIRD torque converter 😭

You can buy a brand new torque converter on Amayama for $1,750 shipped to California. I placed my order this week and its supposed to arrive sometime next week. It's ridiculous how much it costs, but nobody in North America (that I could find) had a working extra unit and I did not want to wait on a billet torque converter from Wholesale Automatics in Australia. Going for a used one was already going to be a risk since I went down that road before and it didn't work out - this is now my THIRD torque converter 😭
Thanks. I was quoted $1,800 her in Panama for a new unit. I balked and figured I would grab a rebuild in the USA but nobody has one. Im traveling back to USA but not really wanting to carry one as luggage, they will nab me for $100 each way, plus shipping to and from Florida or Arizona to rebuild. Thinking I'm going to avoid the BS and just grab a new one. My guy here wants me to buy a used Torque Converter and rebuild. I dont want to do the rebuild without a new or rebuilt converter. I'll go check out the new one you referenced. Thanks!

Talk to georg at valley. I sold him a parts hdj 80 series trans and it had a new torque convertor I spent 1k on.

I have one from wholesale automatics when I upgraded to a billet one from them. I'm going to sell it with my 80, but I'll let you know if the next owner doesn't want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom