Tornado Alley Cruisers Introductions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m Eric. Live in OP. Recent empty nester seeking to fill in my free time. Love beautiful nature scenes, especially in remote areas. Just bought a ‘13 LC. Added OME BP51 and 33” Nittos. Want to do some serious touring to big sky, desert Southwest and southern Colorado. View attachment 2006232
Welcome Eric. Another Overland Park-er here. Just off 135th and Quivira. Looking forward to meeting at one of our get togethers. Speaking of which...

Excellent....I'm 230k miles behind you, but hope to start catching up quickly. only 18k miles on this honey, but I'm ready to start beating on it.

I think you are going to fit into this group pretty good..... love the comment "ready to start beating on it".

Just joined TAC and getting to know my 84 FJ60. It's mechanically stock with a respray and with 227K miles and a really good interior. I'm going through the process of giving it a proper tuneup and to see what all I may want to do with it. It started it's life in Aspen then worked it's way to Oklahoma and now to Old Leawood. I'm looking forward to meeting up with the group once I get it a little more mechanically sound. I've never been afraid to dive into an unfamiliar project or maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment but I love working on all things mechanical. I might need an assist once and a while to figure things out and this group sounds like it's full of really knowledgeable people. I'm glad to be a part of it.

20190621_215141199_iOS.jpg

20190723_003411918_iOS.jpg

Hello all, Steve here from good Ole KY (great Bourbon, and some other good things). I’m a retired US Marine (30 years active duty-1 year retired). I drive mostly Dodge Rams, mainly because they have the Cummins in them. Cruisers are:
-75 FJ56 (a lot rusted, but running strong with the stock 2f, 4 speed, 60 axles, 60 Power Steering, and some custom bumpers all around).
-78 FJ45 (currently garaged (long story) but I just bought a 4Bt Cummins that I plan to put in, with FJ75 axles front and rear (all built) and a nice set of custom bumpers. I’ve gotta do some slight mods to make them fit (they came off the FJ75 that I wasn’t able to bring to the US (part of the long story).
-78 FJ40 (nice 40 with 2f, H55 that needs rebuilt, full floater rear axle with locker, hard top still on (but have all tops). Nice bumpers all around.

Life is good, and I hope to meet everyone at some upcoming events.

EFD5825C-982E-445C-A827-23403658A66D.jpeg

0D95ADB4-0628-4000-BA5D-D8960125BBDB.jpeg

A0B23858-A459-4586-A236-A4AFE091F606.jpeg

DBAE3379-2D47-4CEF-BDEF-54C2B8AEB2A4.jpeg

83CAD83C-BAE1-48CB-9764-682C6FDB3A01.jpeg

@cwospark , thanks for posting. great looking rigs there. I am been fighting fj75 axles here lately.... VZ style though.

Good luck, look forward to meeting you.

Hello all, Steve here from good Ole KY (great Bourbon, and some other good things). I’m a retired US Marine (30 years active duty-1 year retired). I drive mostly Dodge Rams, mainly because they have the Cummins in them. Cruisers are:
-75 FJ56 (a lot rusted, but running strong with the stock 2f, 4 speed, 60 axles, 60 Power Steering, and some custom bumpers all around).
-78 FJ45 (currently garaged (long story) but I just bought a 4Bt Cummins that I plan to put in, with FJ75 axles front and rear (all built) and a nice set of custom bumpers. I’ve gotta do some slight mods to make them fit (they came off the FJ75 that I wasn’t able to bring to the US (part of the long story).
-78 FJ40 (nice 40 with 2f, H55 that needs rebuilt, full floater rear axle with locker, hard top still on (but have all tops). Nice bumpers all around.

Life is good, and I hope to meet everyone at some upcoming events.

View attachment 2037600

View attachment 2037601

View attachment 2037602

View attachment 2037603

View attachment 2037604

At first I thought you mistyped the "FJ56" but knowing you are a cruiserhead, decided I should do some research....

The difference in appearance is the ambulance doors in the rear instead of the tailgate.

According to Alexander Wohlfarth, author of "The Land Cruiser Legend", the FJ55 became the 56 in Japan after '74, with the introduction of the 2F engine. This model designation change was limited to Japan only, while elsewhere, it continued to be called the 55.

Thanks for adding another bit of cruiser knowledge in my brain.....

At first I thought you mistyped the "FJ56" but knowing you are a cruiserhead, decided I should do some research....

The difference in appearance is the ambulance doors in the rear instead of the tailgate.

According to Alexander Wohlfarth, author of "The Land Cruiser Legend", the FJ55 became the 56 in Japan after '74, with the introduction of the 2F engine. This model designation change was limited to Japan only, while elsewhere, it continued to be called the 55.

Thanks for adding another bit of cruiser knowledge in my brain.....
Rgr, I was in Japan and figured I’d like to get one of them. It’s a nice one, although the front end is rusted pretty bad.

Hello folks. My name is Jason, my family and I live in Lee’s Summit. We now have 4 Toyota’s- ‘14 Tundra, ‘13Sequoia, ‘07 4 Runner, and have recently picked up a ‘96 Land Cruiser.
The 80 is in pretty good shape, with the typical issues common with these vehicles.
My plans are to give this to my son, who will start driving next spring. I have rebuilt the knuckles and have it in line with Rob to go through the head later this fall.
Plans include a 2-3” lift, tires, bumpers, fixing oil leaks, etc. If you have any spare lifts or bumpers laying around feel free to reach out.
So far I’m enjoying learning about the vehicle and do look forward to meeting others in the group.
9A68A82C-6BE9-4281-98FB-37546E0AC595.png

Hello folks. My name is Jason, my family and I live in Lee’s Summit. We now have 4 Toyota’s- ‘14 Tundra, ‘13Sequoia, ‘07 4 Runner, and have recently picked up a ‘96 Land Cruiser.
The 80 is in pretty good shape, with the typical issues common with these vehicles.
My plans are to give this to my son, who will start driving next spring. I have rebuilt the knuckles and have it in line with Rob to go through the head later this fall.
Plans include a 2-3” lift, tires, bumpers, fixing oil leaks, etc. If you have any spare lifts or bumpers laying around feel free to reach out.
So far I’m enjoying learning about the vehicle and do look forward to meeting others in the group.
View attachment 2078166

Welcome Jason!

FYI - Jason is a coworker and friend.

His new 80 has a great body on it. Couldn’t find really any rust when I looked it over.

Hey all,

I was just sent over by BILT4ME from the general "What did you do with your 80 this weekend?" I recently picked up my first 80 series and have been having a blast working on the platform so far. I had my work cut out for myself when i decided to move on this 80 as i knew it was plagued with several pretty severe oil leaks as well as many different odds and ends that would need to be replaced. This is really the first time I've ever pretended to be a mechanic so i'm leaning everything as I go and am enjoying it quite a lot. If any of you ever have any advice for someone new to the 80 series or even new to working on vehicles please let me know, i'm here to learn!

I'd love to join the Tornado Alley Cruisers and hope to meet up with you guys for a ride some day, always looking for people to share a hobby with!

Hans.

F83DC63A-B717-4CEA-BCAC-438FD309E6B8.JPG

Hey all,

I was just sent over by BILT4ME from the general "What did you do with your 80 this weekend?" I recently picked up my first 80 series and have been having a blast working on the platform so far. I had my work cut out for myself when i decided to move on this 80 as i knew it was plagued with several pretty severe oil leaks as well as many different odds and ends that would need to be replaced. This is really the first time I've ever pretended to be a mechanic so i'm leaning everything as I go and am enjoying it quite a lot. If any of you ever have any advice for someone new to the 80 series or even new to working on vehicles please let me know, i'm here to learn!

I'd love to join the Tornado Alley Cruisers and hope to meet up with you guys for a ride some day, always looking for people to share a hobby with!

Hans.

View attachment 2155063
Welcome and glad to see another 80 around. That Lexus looks clean.

Hey all,

Hans.

View attachment 2155063

Nice front bumper looks great. I’ve been driving the s*** out of your 100 the last few days. Put a bunch of questionable gas in it and trying to burn it up. Picked up a batch of skid plates for the 80 series down town. About 600 pounds of steel. I’m pretty sure the floor was groaning and bending. Sad that rust has taken it out of commission.

Sending a LED kit your way. Let me know f you have questions on install.

Nice front bumper looks great. I’ve been driving the s*** out of your 100 the last few days. Put a bunch of questionable gas in it and trying to burn it up. Picked up a batch of skid plates for the 80 series down town. About 600 pounds of steel. I’m pretty sure the floor was groaning and bending. Sad that rust has taken it out of commission.

Sending a LED kit your way. Let me know f you have questions on install.
Well I'm glad someone is driving it! (for now) It is a real shame that the rust cancer spread through all her vitals, it's really only a matter of time before she flat-lines :doh:

Thanks again for the sale and the soon to come LED's. Let me know if any of you are having a wrenching day, I have good taste in beer and would love to help out and learn everything I can about these cruisers!

Just wanted to start a thread on introductions for our members and those that hang out here.. Post a quick bio about yourself so we can know more about each other and grow as a club. Maybe get all our names correct when we meet in person etc! We're pretty spread out so it's kinda hard for all of us to get together at once thus the thread..

This will be a sticky in our club section. Use it for bio's and family updates including trucks etc so we will know who's who and who's driving what when we hook up in person. Thanks for posting and have fun!
Erik..

Just wanted to start a thread on introductions for our members and those that hang out here.. Post a quick bio about yourself so we can know more about each other and grow as a club. Maybe get all our names correct when we meet in person etc! We're pretty spread out so it's kinda hard for all of us to get together at once thus the thread..

This will be a sticky in our club section. Use it for bio's and family updates including trucks etc so we will know who's who and who's driving what when we hook up in person. Thanks for posting and have fun!
Erik..

Sorry if I am in the "wrong" spot here --I am not too computer savy and there is a lot of stuff on this site.
My son bought a 74 2F 1/2 and I have been working on it for a year. drive train is done but I am stuck on the carburetor; he bought a weber 38 DGES. Can someone tell me or point me to how I convert the mechanical linkage to a cable on the carb? I live in Overland Park and look forward to meeting you all ----thanks much

probably your cheapest option,
many vendors carry the same products, it was an earlier FJ stock pedal system. I would keep everything you pull off should you want to go back to a stock carb later.

many vendors carry the same products, it was an earlier FJ stock pedal system. I would keep everything you pull off should you want to go back to a stock carb later.
Thanks Silver star this helps a lot. I think I need some kind of "bracket" that the cable attaches to the carb. do you have any info on that. Hate to be a pest >>> thanks for your help Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom