Tornado Alley Cruisers Introductions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey guys....Derek here. brand new to the forum. Signing up for the TAC membership soon....I'm no longer doing crazy dedicated home theaters....SOOOO....I guess my money needs to be "wasted" somewhere else! I'm located in Fairway between Mission and Prairie Village.

Just bought a 1972 FJ40 last week (engine swapped to chevy 327, new transmission, new suspension, new tires, new wheels). I've wanted one for about 15 years while I was doing restos on Jeeps. Delivery should be about October 1st. Yes, via eBay. I know...But it's an Arizona car that was pretty darn rust free for it's 45 years. At least vs the other ones that I've seen in the sub $20k price range that is. Had the owner throw on the hardtop and doors for transportation. With the KC weather I'm guessing that they'll stay on until the spring.

Anyway, looking forward to the expertise from the local sickos. Always the best resources! First things first....the heater doesn't work....I gotta get that running if I plan to run the beast from a cold start in a parking lot!!!!

Front.jpg

header--driver.jpg

Driver side.jpg

dash.jpg

back seats.jpg

Follow on pics....I'm open for advice as I start this project over the winter....I'm still not sure what's up with the rhino lining...It seems spotty or dirty or rusty or something....My mechanic buddy is telling me "PUT THE BELL HOUSING ON!!! REPLACE THE DENTED OIL PAN!!! FIRST THINGS TO DO!!!"

And for the record. I can do electrical, mods, interior, etc. But I am NOT a mechanic. By trade and education I'm an electrical engineer. So it will be interesting to see what happens vs me just throwing on CAIs and exhaust. I'm more capable than I give myself credit. But my goal would be to completely rework the engine.

suspension back.jpg

suspension front.jpg

suspension front 2.jpg

bell housing.jpg

Last edited:
So I'm looking for two recommendations in the KC area....1) someone to bead blast and paint the under carriage and 2) a recommendation on good painters....I know that removing the lights, hinges, fender flares and running boards will be required. I'm replacing this with aftermarket anyway.

I'm guessing that removing the doors and tops as well as disassembling most of the dash will also be required to paint the car. The floors are rhino-lined up to the top of the tub in the rear.

I guess I'm just looking for recommendations on someone to talk to, to receive a quote, and to understand everything they would want removed to do a good inside/outside paint job. I'll likely go back to the dark blue original color or even just a black....

Thanks!Derek

Eagle auto stripping did my 45 cab but it was completely stripped. Maybe look for one of the new co2 mobile paint stripping services? Seen them on lots of shows

@Derek Stokes I've used Eagle auto stripping on several occasions. I don't have anything to compare him to. I think @1MAC had a mobile blaster come to his house. Perhaps he'll chime in with contact info.

Welcome to the group!

@equalme nice looking rig! looks like you could get me into more trouble.... Welcome to KC.

I love that pic of Black Bear. Brings back great memories.

I posted this in the "what have you done to your 4x4" thread but I'll post again here:

I just moved to Kansas in August (from SC) and bought my 94 FZJ80 w/ factory lockers in November as a replacement for the 2016 Tacoma (tan DCLB Offroad) that I've planned on selling for a year now (just sold a few weeks ago).

So far I've just been performing preventative maintenance and getting it to a baseline but OME lift and new tires are coming soon with shortbus bumper and roof rack to follow at some point.

I live in Overland Park, near "downtown" Old OP and work off 135th. I've seen a few rigs around the area and one that I think spends the 9-5 right down the street from me (I left a note but no response). Looking forward to meeting some of you all. I'm a TLCA member and I need to officially sign up for Tornado Alley Cruisers but just haven't gotten the application mailed.

I posted this in the "what have you done to your 4x4" thread but I'll post again here:

I just moved to Kansas in August (from SC) and bought my 94 FZJ80 w/ factory lockers in November as a replacement for the 2016 Tacoma (tan DCLB Offroad) that I've planned on selling for a year now (just sold a few weeks ago).

So far I've just been performing preventative maintenance and getting it to a baseline but OME lift and new tires are coming soon with shortbus bumper and roof rack to follow at some point.

I live in Overland Park, near "downtown" Old OP and work off 135th. I've seen a few rigs around the area and one that I think spends the 9-5 right down the street from me (I left a note but no response). Looking forward to meeting some of you all. I'm a TLCA member and I need to officially sign up for Tornado Alley Cruisers but just haven't gotten the application mailed.

You need to post up a pic of your super clean 80.

8F23D7DE-FC7F-478A-A226-914B48307810.jpeg
@Ppleasants whats the motorcycle?

That's the "project" that's been on hold for a few years. Wish I had a better picture. It’s a 1978 Honda CB400T but not much left of the original bike at this point

@Ppleasants welcome to Kansas City. Looking forward to meeting you at one of our gatherings.

Hello, I'm Bil Sines. I live in KCKS and just bought a '97 toyota 4runner limited. The idea is that next month I'm going to drive it to Panama, Panama. I've sunk some cash into it and would love advice about travel in Mexico and Latin America and mods for such a trip. I'm 62 yrs old and have been to Panama a lot with some offroad in rentals. I'd love to meet some experts and get some advice. I live with my truelove and her golden retriever. Neither of whom are going along.

Hello, I'm Bil Sines. I live in KCKS and just bought a '97 toyota 4runner limited. The idea is that next month I'm going to drive it to Panama, Panama. I've sunk some cash into it and would love advice about travel in Mexico and Latin America and mods for such a trip. I'm 62 yrs old and have been to Panama a lot with some offroad in rentals. I'd love to meet some experts and get some advice. I live with my truelove and her golden retriever. Neither of whom are going along.

welcome to Mud and to the local TAC.

I would recommend that you post over on the main board for info on traveling through Mexico.
probably this board....

Trails - Events - Expeditions

I saw an 80 with snorkel and “4XBOOST” on 69 South at 135th st today. I’m assuming someone on here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom