Tornado Alley Cruisers Introductions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tornadoalleycruiser

Erik TLCA #5303
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.tornadoalleycruisers.com
Just wanted to start a thread on introductions for our members and those that hang out here.. Post a quick bio about yourself so we can know more about each other and grow as a club. Maybe get all our names correct when we meet in person etc! We're pretty spread out so it's kinda hard for all of us to get together at once thus the thread..

This will be a sticky in our club section. Use it for bio's and family updates including trucks etc so we will know who's who and who's driving what when we hook up in person. Thanks for posting and have fun!
Erik..

Great Idea. I struggle to put MUD names with real names when we meet.

I'm Gary from Kearney, NE. I drive a Tan square bezel 40 with a grey full cage. Usually it has no top and black 1/2 doors. Around town on its 35's it looks huge, at events it looks like it needs training wheels.

I have a wife, two girls, and several trucks. I only get out 3-4 times a year, but really enjoy wheeling with the TAC'ers.

I am 4 hours from Tuttle, 13 from MOAB, and 7 from SD.

Plans this winter include building something that I can roll without caring.

Gary

Last edited:
Ok.. Hi.. My name is Erik Christiansen I am a cruiser addict..
I live in Kansas City Missouri.
This year I have been wheeling in my 1976 FJ40. It's dark green with black accents, 38 Super swamper sx's on Allied beadlocks. Stock 2f with an H41 transmission that is mated to a Marlin Toybox with 4.7 gears in it which is mated to a split case with 2.28 gears in it. Also a ton of other junk I just can't remember..
The other vehicles?
Lets start with the fun one.. The beater Honda as I so affectionally call it. It's a 1992 Honda accord which I paid $500 for about 4years ago and it's still running as my daily driver. It's the energizer bunny from H#!!.. It won't die.. almost 300000 miles on it and it's currently a science experiment in my eyes..
The Tow rig, 1996 Ford CrewCab Powerstroke, Goldish color Shortbed. Used to tow the FJ40 to the trails.
1988 FJ62. Light blue, drivetrain is a TBI 350 mated to a 700r4 mated to a toybox with 2.28 gears mated to a splitcase and a bunch of other junk.
1964 FJ45 SWB Non-removable top Pickup. My next project. 4wheel disk brakes with booster etc added, TIC Parabolic springs and that's about it right now..
My wheeling partner is Heather Warrick, she's a much better cook than I am cause I can mess up peanutbutter.. She likes mud so watch out! And her tent is way bigger than my normal tent.. I call it the Taj Mahal cause it's soo big!

I'm currently the Secretary of the Toyota LandCruiser Association and the president of the TornadoAlleyCruisers.. Welcome all and introduce yourself so we (including new prospective members) will know who we are!

hey i like this idea..marc mcfarland..osagecruiser...i own a 1972 fj55..just aquired from fjben here on the mud board and a 1968 fj40...the 40 actually belongs to my son he lets me work on it and spend all my spare money on it...not sure yet that i will be allowed to drive it..my sons name is jake and he is 13...we are just getting started with land cruisers we,ve had the 68 for about 6 years and just now started working on it...it has a chevy 283 motor.....and lots of time in it right now...not sure what else is there yet still looking...i did remove a retro pair of man a free shocks from the rear that had coils around them..steve told me to throw them away and not mention that they came from his place...i am married to janet employed by hills pet nutrition and i have a 17 year old daughter megan...yikes college in 17 months....i have attended 2 events...the kansas krawl and the daylight savings run..jake and i had a great time!..we hope to attend more events in the future and look forward to getting the poker run in osage county set up...each event that we attend we get new ideas for the 40..hopefully by next spring we will have a trail ready rig!

osagecruiser

Recken I'll throw in here too....My names Mike and I too am a Cruiser addict. I have a usually functional '66 FJ40 I bought in 2000 as a restoration project. Somewhere along the way all the changed :confused: . I'm hopelessly in love with my wife Debi and have two great daughters, Becca 17 and Holley 3 :rolleyes:

My rig is trail trash, it's sole purpose is to get beat about the rocks, but that's cuz my drivin sucks. Becca has a another '66 (late '65) in the works that will be a daily driver. Holley even has a Peg Perego Cruiser she calls "The Tiny Cruzar"

Last year we made Roundup, Ramble, GCC picnic, the Daylight Savings Run and couple others. Next year I hope to make the Roundup and either Rubithon or Moab plus the usual local runs.

We are members of Tornado Alley, Green Country & Lone Star (Debi's a native Texan). I'm additionally a proud, card carry'n member of The White Trash of the Elwood Chapter (fer some reason Debi and the girls don't claim that affiliation :confused: )

Here is a link to my Rig-O-The-Week article.

Oh and just a couple words of wisdom if'n ya come wheel......

Don't follow Chris :D

See ya on the trails

OK, my turn I guess. Name's Bob Garrett... same as my MUD name. That should make it easy for Gary to remember :D I used my name since back on the old 80sCool list, everyone used their name rather than a handle. That, and I ain't all that creative when it comes to that kind of stuff. It's that left brain, right brain thing, I guess.

I live in Shawnee, KS, which, for those not familar with KC, is a suburb on the west side of KC. I currently have two Toyota 4x4s. First one is a 1995 80 series, which I have since '99. Since then, I have taken it from a stock configuration to its current setup, which includes OME J-springs, 4.56 gears, 35" MTRs, ARB bumper, Warn 12k winch, TJM rear bumper w/Slee tire carrier, Slee front control arms, Slee t-case skid plate, custom sliders, dual batteries, ARB fridge, gps and custom rear storage drawer.

The new addition is a 1983 mini-truck purchased last year from a friend of mine in CO, who was the original owner. It currently has Alcan springs, hysteer, Marlin 4.7 t-case gears, aussie lockers f/r and 33" BFG MTs. I bought it mainly to run the tighter non-wagon friendly trails here in the midwest.

I have a wife and an 18 yr old son, neither of them have any interest in my addiction, but at least they tolerate it. We also have 3 other vehicles, a 98 Lexus ES300 (wife's current daily driver), 2000 BMW 3 series (son's car, which is now my dd because of 3 tickets and an accident) :whoops: and a 95 Ford Windstar minivan (a carryover from the wife's soccer mom days)

I'm also the TAC secretary and TAC's chapter delegate to the TLCA.

OK - I am Charlie Vreeland, Executive Director of the Humane Society of Greater Kansas City (an natural fit with the cruiser crowd), and proud owner of a 76 fj40 as my daily driver. Other than comfort mods such as conferr bench seat, tuffy console, steel lockable dash, interior herculiner - I have converted to saganaw power steering, and weber carb. on stock 2f. Am currently replacing gas tank and plan on 4inch lift at some point this winter. I have only done Tuttle, Fulton and Arkansas as off road events go but have my eye on bigger and better once I can get away from daily driver routine.
Charlie

Oh, and my wife Nancy and I have two children ages 14 and 11, three dogs, two gerbils, one hamster, and a Russian red-spotted legged turtle.

osagecruiser said:
employed by hills pet nutrition

osagecruiser

Hey - Hill's is one of our major vendors here at the Humane Society, write a check to them every month. . . a connection with a fellow cruiser!
c.vreeland :bounce2:

little red
small world aint it?...my wife has been with them for 20 years...human resource people development blah.blah.blah...my kids and i think she works for the cia..we have no idea what the hell virtual learning is.....and dont know that we want to....we have an old black lab...has eaten 13 years worth of science diet...she loves it!

osagecruiser

I am Kirk Shea I live in Topeka. My wife is Kathy, she drove a CJ7 and I had a 73FJ40 when we met, I married her any way . We have 2 sons Steve 19 and Spencer 16. I bought a new FJ40 in 78 and kept it all these years. It was my daily driver for several years, but then I started using it mainly for hunting and pushing snow. My mods so far have been 350V8, Power steering, Front shackle reversal, Rear gas tank, Montero seats, half cab from a FJ45 stretched 2", and 33" Goodyear MTRs. I work at Goodyear, love upland bird hunting and Sporting clays. I thank TAC for renewing my interest in my cruiser and hope to see you on the trails.

Hey there,
My name is Chris Bailey. I live in Edwardsville, IL. Nowhere near anyone from what I can tell.
I have two 40's, a 76 that I wheel when I can and a 79 that my twelve year old and I are going to restore so he can drive it when he is old enough.
The 76 has a 350, sm420, locked front and rear and a bunch over other stuff.
My DD is a 2001 Superduty, also lifted with 35's. I wont go into what my wife drives because it starts with a "J".
I am in the TV business, cool job but cuts into my personal life way to much.
I am a member here as well as LSLC, I lived in the DFW area until about 2 years ago.
If there is anyone else in my neck of the woods post up. I know of 4 cruisers over this way and two them are mine.

Chris

I'm Steve Fox, and Alan and Erik the rest of TAC have infected me. I've known Alan since '79, we've spent many many hours together riding motorcycles, drinkin' and whatever, but I just didn't see what he saw in cruisers...until they took me to Tuttle wheelin'. Bought the Sherpa, an '85 FJ60, soon after from another TAC member, Tim Gingles. It's my 4 wheeled dirt bike, I've beat the livin' crap out of it, and it's turned me into a cruiserhead. Erik's willingness to encourage my mechanical dark side had resulted in an H55F 5-speed, an NP203 doubler, an ARB locker up front and a FF cable locker soon to go in the back. Maybe I'll even wheel it next year!

Last fall Erik and I flew out to bring home the result of a moment of eBay weakness...a '75 FJ55 with 58,000 miles on it, one-owner, very stock and pretty dang nice. It's my Sunday-go-to-meeting cruiser :grinpimp: . Right now I'm trying to clean up my shop enough to work on the backlog of stuff I want to do to the Sherpa...maybe in my next installment, I'll tell you how the truck got the name...

Steve

Ok, my turn. I'm Chris Rech, and I'm not obsessed, just focused.

I'm married to Shannon, we are expecting our first any day now. I have three daughters from my previous marriage - Shelby/12, Reid/10, and Aubrey/8. Most of you haven't met them as they live in the Bavarian Alps in southern Germany. One of these days we'll get the schedules right so they can do the Colorado trip.

I bought my first cruiser, the '77 FJ40 formerly known as "Rolling Tetanus" in 2000 a few months after my first wheeling experience. That was GSMTR '99 with my brother. Found out later on that both Erik C. and Alan L. were at the same event!

Since the purchase, I've modified it a little:

4" BTB lift
Shackle reversal
Custom front bumper with Superwinch S9000 winch
Mini-truck power steering subsequently converted to saginaw
FJ60 distributor
Front ARB locker
Rear Lockrite locker
SM420 / 3 speed tranny/transfer combo
35x12.5 BFG MT's
Metal Tech/Smittybuilt roll cage
Tuffy overhead console
Aqualu tub
TJ fender flares
Hyundai seats

I've also owned a 73 FJ40, an 88? FJ62, 94 FZJ80, and 2000 UZJ100. There are currently about 1.5 mini-trucks waiting to be parted out/combined/borg'ed into whatever suits Erik and my fancies.

So far, I've wheeled in/at Moab, South Dakota, Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Iowa, and Tennessee. Planning to get to (hopefully) California next summer.

I am Treasurer/Membership for TAC. And my username was earned...

I am Scott Pashia (climbhi on the mud list). I found my 73 fj40 in Golden Colorado about 4 years ago and drove it home with the family in tow. It is basically a stock rig and it is always fun trying to keep up with Chris and the gang on the trails :eek: I was fortunate enough to meet Erik and several others right off the bat and have been able to learn alot from them since I basically didn't know a thing about cruisers except they looked awesome. I just recently went through and restored the body and tried to get rid of most of the rust (new rear quarters, sill, paint etc.)

I live in Leawood, Kansas and have a wife Becky and 3 boys (11,4, and 2). The third one lead to the need for our 94 FZJ80 which is basically the family school bus.

The TAC has been a group and is full of alot of great people. :D

Hey I am Noah Stimac….Nstimac here. I am 23 and just got my bachelors degree in geology from KU. I am living with my folks in Overland Park but I still work in Lawrence for the Kansas Geological Survey. I’ve always loved cars and loved wrenching and modding them.

Few years ago I was sick of my 5.0L Mustang and was looking for a truck that I could wheel, yet still afford to drive on the highway long distances. I had friends with Heeps and others with diesel Rovers. A fellow employee at the KGS had a 60 and was a TAC’r he showed me a pic of a 70 series and I really liked the classic look and wheelbase. I joined the DTLC mail list in early ‘03 the more I found out the more I liked. By July of ’04 I had sold my mustang and imported my first cruiser. Around Aug. I joined TLCA and soon after TAC.

As for the truck it’s a Canadian spec 86 BJ70 with 380,000 kms from Vancouver B.C. It’s an 86 so all 24-volt electronics. It has a 3B diesel motor (3.4L 4 banger) with the standard H55f. It has an Old Man Emu suspension (2.5 in), 33 x 9.50 BFG MT’s, ARB front bumper, and a pair of IPF driving lights. I have also added a 24-volt to 12-volt converter/ battery equalizer, a pair of optima yellow tops, wired up a 12-volt fuse block and wired the cig lighter to 12-volts.

Hopefully my cruiser will be getting a much-needed artificial lung (turbo) soon. I’ve got a Garrett T3 with .42/.48 AR’s (pretty small turbo) being reworked right now. It should spool up quick and make highway cruising much much better. After that I have some rusty rear quarter and rockers that need looking after unless I run across a 24volt winch. ;)

I’ve only been out wheelin with you guys a few times but it’s been great. Yall have done a terrific job welcoming me to your cruiser community! My parents, girlfriend, and friends think I am nuts. Thanks to TAC, at least I know I am not the only nut out there.

hi

i am terry vogel.i am 46 years old ,single parent of 15 year old daughter.used to be a major airline pilot but had to give it up to get custody of my daughter in the big d.i work for mfa oil co. now.i live in slater,mo.i just bought a 1991 80 with 19000 miles on it.looks new for $2900.looking fwd to meeting you guys at at weekend maintaince party.seems like there is some great cruisers that you have cant wait to see them. :grinpimp:

Hello! My name is Mike Hafenstein I have owned one of my FJ's since 87. I enjoy driving it on and off road. I live in Topeka, KS. I spent several years in Ohio while getting older(I refuse to grow up). I am a recent member of TAC and have enjoyed the couple times that I have gotten to meet everyone.
I look forward to more wheeling and these work weekends I here about.

Mike

Hello, name is Zane Zwerenz. I live in Lee's Summit, MO.; have a beautiful wife, a very handsome 19 month old boy and a cute little girl on the way this January. I have enjoyed the cruiser life for almost 8 years now. I will be the first to admit that I don’t get out that often, but when I do I enjoy every minute of it!

The first cruiser I purchased is my 1978 FJ40. It has gone through a full frame off resto. A few of the mods are: Aluminum Aquilu body tub, Goodyear MTR's, 3" BDS suspension, Mini truck power steering conversion, custom snorkle, Honda Prelude seats, etc....

My most recent rig is my 1997 40th Anniversary FZJ80, Factory front and rear lockers, Center diff lock, 285/75/16 BFG AT K/O's, ARB Bull Bar, Old Man Emu suspension, Diff Breather extensions, Custom rear tire carrier (view post on carrier here): https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=52917&highlight=tire+carrier+pics

Like Erik, I also own a $500 dollar 1991 Honda Accord as my daily driver (due to gas prices) thanks to Erik Christiansen for finding it for me. All it needed as a new clutch and it drives like a top! Not near as cool as the 40 or 80, but more practical for my commute! Highly recommended if your into cruisers……

My wife drives a 2005 Ford Escape Limited that only has 4K miles on it and it’s already for sale! She wants something different! Gotta love her….

Anyway, that’s me in a nut shell.

hey mike fj40
are you related to the hafenstiens here in osage city?...really nice group of people...just wondering

osagecruiser

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom