Topping off Dextron II with Dextron III (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I'm pulling my radiator and I'm not sure if I currently have Dextron II or III in the transmission.

According to this thread:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/3FE/message/8375

I can mix II and III without problems, but I just wanted to ask this here as well.

Has anyone mixed them without problems?

Thanks.

Dexron III supersedes Dexron II. Meaning, it replaced it. Anywhere Dex II is called for, Dex III can be used. I'm gonna say you'd be hard pressed to even find Dex II.

Yes, thanks, but can you mix them together, if I have II right now and need to add a little III will they mix together well, the thread above says yes, but I was just double-checking...

Dexron III supersedes Dexron II. Meaning, it replaced it. Anywhere Dex II is called for, Dex III can be used. I'm gonna say you'd be hard pressed to even find Dex II.

Yes, you can mix them together, as long as you peel one of the "I"s off of the Dextron III bottle before pouring it in...on second thought...you probably don't even need to do that. They can be safely mixed. Where did you find Dextron II anyway? I didn't even know it was still around.

Last edited:
OK, thanks, how do you peel the "I" and does it matter if it's the first, middle, or last one, it's turning out to be more complicated than I thought :)

I've seen Dextron II on google products:

http://www.google.com/products?q=dextron+ii

I got III btw but I just didn't know what the PO had in there, although obviously it's probably III anyway, just making sure...

Thanks.

Yes, you can mix them together, as long as you peel one of the "I"s off of the Dextron III bottle before pouring it in...on second thought...you probably don't even need to do that. They can be safely mixed. Where did you find Dextron II anyway? I didn't even know it was still around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom