Top ten sure ways to destroy your 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Let your wife/GF drive it exclusively and never check the fluids & brakes.

Big thing is to watch the temp gauge, the most expensive problems with the ifz is due to improper/lack of maintenance to the cooling system. FWIW I am guilty as well as I cooked the head on my 3FE by overheating it.
Dave

Tools R Us said:
This can cause issues!

sunk.jpg

So who's 'bad driving...habits' are on display here?

Lucy said:

Dont know, but its probably someones WIFE :flipoff2:

:D :D :D

Lol.. Thats me hooking up the tow cable. the driver almost made it back out. wasnt too deep as you can see ... untill it went a few more feet in.. then sunk.

Ill let someone else let the cat out of the bag about the driver.

Lucy said:

I will just say that the wife had nothing to do with it, she was 40 miles away!:eek: :D

Romer said:
Top way to destroy your 80?

Tell Cruiserdan he doesn't know squat about parts.

That's pretty effective...................:hillbilly:

Beowulf said:
I'm guessing you haven't met Wrench? ;)

-B-

I laughed out-loud for the first time today.......:D

Thanks Wulf.............;)

That's the main reason I want to get a snorkel.

fastest way to ruin it would be to go on a drinking binge with mickeyrubicon and his neighbor and leave your 80 unattended with him and his sawzall for a while.:D

Gumby said:
Fastest way to destroy an 80?

Wheel the pee out of it.

There is pee in your truck?

Where I checked the FSM and it makes no mention.

How often must this pee be removed and changed?

Especially in the midwest.

Woody will soon find out

Naw dat boy has skills.................;)

He'll just lightly bump it over any rocks.....lol

From that picture, it looks to me like you'd need a snorkel...and a float tube, and swim fins. The mud was probably deeper than the water.

What have you (or...ahem...'a friend') broken and how?
I have read a lot of threads about fixing various 'common' problems. But what activities do you really need to avoid in order to prevent the problems in the first place? I'm not talking about preventative maintenance, I'm talking about bad driving or repair habits.

Example: What is a sure way to break a birfield?
Answer 1: I read on the 40's forum on a post from TORSLINNING, ''...but I do admit to the blunder of backing up and turning at the same time in 4 wheel drive.'' I didn't know this was a blunder. It would be good to know so I can avoid it. Does it apply to the 80's? Obviously they are full-time, but what about when they are locked?

Example: Knock sensor - don't whack it when changing the phh.

Some things I would like to know, add your own:
1. What is a sure way to speed your head gasket on it's way to failure?
2. What DON'T you do if you want to keep your lockers from breaking/wearing out prematurely?
3. What constitutes real abuse to a factory CDL?
4. What ruins your sun roof?

As for your question "what ruins your sun roof" the answer is Father Time & Mother Nature. I just replaced mine on my 93 the old seal had hardened and shrunk from UV exposure and the rest of the elements and leaked like a sieve. I had a fair amount of water leaking down my A pillar even with all the drain holes clear and rocker slits completely open. Changed the sun roof and have not had one drop of water in the cab. Cdan's smart shopper price is around $280.00 Which is a fair trade-off for a mildew free interior.

George

Last edited:
don't drive on asphalt with lockers locked just to see what will happen.... :doh:

:D

don't believe experienced cruiserheads who tell you that yes it's an easy trail and you'll be fine with your stock rig.... :eek:

don't start to remove your roof rack to see if there is rust underneath.... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Just get one without the rack. and avoid the others. Also, don't submerge it thinking it has God like powers and can submarine through puddles that look 1' in depth.

don't drive on asphalt with lockers locked just to see what will happen.... :doh:

don't believe experienced cruiserheads who tell you that yes it's an easy trail and you'll be fine with your stock rig.... :eek:

don't start to remove your roof rack to see if there is rust underneath.... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Knock sensors suck to replace, Damn things are expensive. Broke one on my 100 and that sucked to go back in and fix. PHH has been done by PO and thanks for that. Did not know you could break one there. $140 a pop on the 100, don't know about the $$ on the 80's.
Keep an eye on the temp. Anywhere close to red or in it, shut it down.

Reverse w/ wheels turned up hill, not good. Busted one on my old 55

I'm still new to the 80 series, but there is some real good words of wisdom out here.

Watch , listen, and learn.
:beer:

Why not? Wont hurt anything.:rolleyes:

:princess:

- Don Let your wife drive it!

"My wife was driving the truck today, and she called me saying.............."

:flipoff2:
I let mine drive it once(reluctantly) and she got in an accident at the end of the driveway(major body and bumper dammage
"Ooops I forgot to look"
My wife does not drive the LC now......

4. What ruins your sun roof?

img_2083.jpg

The best part was keeping it from slideing down the hill to the bottem (300 yards or so )
If it was raining like it almost aways does there it would have taken off like a shot as soon as it flopped .

Yeah, it was Wrench's truck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom