Top Speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright I was doing some research and talking to a guy who has a few FJ40's, and he said top speed on the FJ60's he owned was like 65 and that was pushing it. Is this correct? Basically I need to know how fast a 83 FJ60 will go and be able to comfortably hold for a good time. Mainly if it will be able to do highway speeds on my trips to NC. Thanks a lot

The four speeds are not speed demons but they do much better with an H55 5 speed. I can hold 75mph all day with my '82 BJ60 and be running about 2700rpm! I can get up to 85mph to pass if necessary:). 65mph is probably maxing out the 4 speed.

65 is very comfortable, 70 no biggy, done 80 and its wound out.

this is a 86 fj60, stock 2f, 4 speed, 4.10(3.70 was stock) and 33x10.5 tires

John H

i know this is different but my fj62 will go 110 and about 100 comfortable. No extra performance mods.

I would think that a 60 in good form would easily exceed and hold over 65. My 40 will hold 65-70 all day, and hit 75-80 and I have 4.10's instead of the 60's 3.70's.

[quote author=tclndcrz link=board=1;threadid=5459;start=msg43144#msg43144 date=1064022882]
i know this is different but my fj62 will go 110 and about 100 comfortable. No extra performance mods.
[/quote]

kilometers ........right :eek: ??? ::)

You said you did a 5 speed swap. How much did parts run, and was it a direct fit or you need to modify supports and crossmembers?

My '83 FJ60 will hold 70 just fine on the interstate. I've pushed it up to 75 and kept it going for a few hours at a time, but the oil consumption was murder (though the gas milage was about the same)

From this board and others, a common recommendation is 3000rpm as a max for sustained freeway driving. Lower is probably better though...Actual speed will depend on tires and rear-end ratio. Brief periods for passing, etc to 3200-3500 are OK, but it's gotta be brief. "Rubber overdirve" (aka larger tires) can help a lot if you do a lot of sustained freeway driving.

Mikey,
If you're putting a 5 speed into an FJ60 as opposed to a BJ60 think $$$ :eek:. You would need an H55 modified for the 2F engine (different input shaft length & spline count if I remember). The crossmember is different to clear the front driveshaft as the 5 speed pushes the transfer about 3" to the rear. Driveshaft lengths change due to the same relocated transfer as does the floor plate. I've heard later FJ60's are equipped with the spacer for the 5th gear.
I had it easy as I have an '84 BJ60 (my work truck which rarely sees highway) which came with an H55 from the factory and my '82 BJ60 which is in much better shape (and does a fair bit of highway) so I just swapped the trannys and all associated goodies between the two :D. Parts cost, nil! :flipoff2:

its always funny that some guys have the same darn vehicle and yet one is so much capable than the other, i had a 4 spd in my fj40 and 33 tires and believe me the first thing i wanted to do was get a overdrive 65mph was too noisey used too much gas and made my engine run too hot even tho thiers a lot of varables there for any of those reasons, it all comes down to fj40,S and any 4 spd vehicle really needs a overdrive and i think if your going to drive alot on the freeway the best fix is a overdrive, does,nt matter what tires (i had also 35,S)or rear end gears you have ,if you want a 4wheel drve that can go on the freeway you need a overdrive. so, i think if you do want to do moderate 4wheeling get a NV3500 if you do go bigger tires and do some hard stuff off road get a NV4500 . don,t waste money trying a ranger overdrive or ant of that stuff have a plan and do it once ,GET A NV4500 its worth the money even tho it feels like a truck tranny and shifts like one its worth it

I agree with Hendo on this. There was also a thread on LCML about this topic. I've owned a fj62, in great shape, and there's no frickin' way that thing would do 100 mph. My 40 maxes out at 65 mph and the motor is strong. I really believe if you're doing 80-85 mph, you've got to be pushing 4000 rpm, the death nell of the 2f.

I have had my 40 wound of the clock numourous times, with the 36" swampers [works out 210kph 160kph + bigger tyre or 130mph] But ive never had a 4_ series with a 2f either......

We have a totally stock 85 fj60 that my brothers and me take down to OBX all the time on surf trips. traveling from northern Va. on the interestates in can do 65-75 comfortably. my suggestions is that you have a good sound system that will dround out the row of the 2F. it can get very loud at times.

100MPH in a 62?!?! Not that I dont believe you but WTF? On a good day, downhill with a tailwind and a trailer I might be able to hit 90 in my 62, maybe. BTW: I hate my 62.

You should have no problems going 70ish on the hwy. My stock 73 will go all day long at 70 and almost every 60 I have ever driven will do the same.

with 31 inch tires you should be able to do about 72 and stay right at 3G. My tires are a little small and i run about 68 at 3G. But like eveyone is saying, it is posible to do 85 in a 60. The problem is the fact that youre running about 3900 RPMs :D

i cant believe what i,m hearing 130 mph in a fj40 with 36,s brave guy or something , but anyway what i am saying is above 3400 rpm for a long time on the freeway is,nt advisable ,these 40.s 60,s 62,s a ofcourse can do it but your asking for trouble

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom