Top Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would definately have a couple people that can help you do it. Have one person on the back and one on each side. When I pulled mine for the first time last fall, I had to spray some WD40 down the side supports holes. This is why you need some people to help, you have to lift the top straight up about a foot and a half or so to clear the poles that slide into the tub. This was at least how it was on my 67'. The top really isn't that heavy once you clear the truck, its just big and bulky.

Cool Cruisers has a Q&A area that has info. on this subject. If I knew anything about computers I'd leave a point and click.

There has been quite a bit of discussion on this in the recent past. I reccomend searching to see. My MUDD buddy, Brian in Oregon, took his apart to do so and when the installation came to be I believe he referred to it as the "seventh circle of hell". Take it off in one piece and get help or use a winch like some others here have and like I plan to do in the future. They are about 200 pounds and awkward ( Kind of like my prom date, but that's another story). Good luck and do the search.

When I took mine off a few weeks ago, the door strikers bolts on the door jam were holding the post, after the top bolts were removed the post came out real easy, my 71 was not like the 74, if it wont budge, try this and see if it will help.

Easiest thing is to get a couple of buddies as said above. 2-3 others besides you makes it a bit easier.

Later, rig you something up to do it yourself.. lots of good threads here to rig something that fits for ya.

Good Luck

:beer:

Scott

DSC01103.jpg

20d65527.jpg

looks great scott:)

A tip you might want to consider. After you get the top off - cut off the front posts just below where the set screw goes in. It saves having to lift the top those extra inches. I used to remove the top by myself when I was younger. I would get under it, lift with my back and walk it off onto some saw horses. Not a recommended method, but possible if you have a strong back and no help.

As mentioned, get some help!!! 2 at a minimum, 3 is better. I took my HT off with just one other guy, but we're kinda huge and it was still a PITA. Muscle doesn't equal numbers. If you only have 2 helpers, put them on the rear 2 corners, get in between the front seats and MAKE SURE THEY KNOW YOU'RE GONNA TELL THEM WHEN THE POSTS ARE CLEAR OF THE BODY, then you can all walk it backwards off the rig. You'll have to manuever under the roll bar (if you have one), but that's not that difficult. Pre-plan where you're gonna store it and how (i.e. on boards or pallets) and just set it into place. I stored mine for 2 winters on a 2X8 under the posts and 3 pallets under the back. Mine held 2 feet of snow and suffered none. At one point I decided to 'fly' mine in my barn and used some 2" nylon straps to create a T. One loop went around the door openings and the bottom of the T went thru the barn door location. I used some buckles I got at the local army surplus and integrated some homemade padding to keep the buckles off the paint. It worked like a charm. It just takes a couple of trial/errors to figure out the COG. Hope that helps. :cheers:

Curious how the winch is attached. Did you install a pick point through/on the roof? If so how is the fiberglass holding up and how long have you been using this system?

Easiest thing is to get a couple of buddies as said above. 2-3 others besides you makes it a bit easier.

Later, rig you something up to do it yourself.. lots of good threads here to rig something that fits for ya.

Good Luck

Scott

DSC01103.jpg

20d65527.jpg

i dont have any room to keep it one peice, which sucks. way more nuts and bolts to loosen, and it doesnt quite fit back together right when reinstalled

Do you have the room if the top were to be stored on end?

It would be necessary to fabricate/build a suitable gradle and a girdle or two would also likely be needed to keep flex & distortion to a minimum.

Last edited:
Curious how the winch is attached. Did you install a pick point through/on the roof? If so how is the fiberglass holding up and how long have you been using this system?

look closer, there is a frame clamped to the gutters, looks like just a big H shape, and then once it is winched up, attach chains to the hooks in the ceiling from the points of the H and let the strain off the winch.
DSC01103.jpg

when I took mine off, I got inside and lifted it up a couple of inches while my wife slipped a couple of 2x4's under the hardtop sides. Then with her on one side and me on the other we picked it up by the ends of the 2x4's which was a lot easier
a third person would have been nice, or at least a bigger second person, but using the boards to lift it made it waaaay easier. having a couple of sawhorses to set it onto would help too

There should be two little hook-and-clasps on the back for most tops, otherwise they are in front for easy access. Different brands sometimes have different clasps, so practice makes perfect so you can remove the top with just your teeth.

Oh, wait, wrong top... Damn:flipoff2:

Yeah, the best way is with a couple people on each side and one in the middle. Just don't drop it:doh:

Hey bud.. sorry to just getting back to you.

Yep the guys below your post and above this one are correct. There is an aluminum "H" that has pipe insulation on it to protect the top. The "H" is connected to the winch ($50 Harbor Freight) that is in the attic. The "hangers" are bicycle hooks from Home Depot w/ rubber hose on them (placed w/ warm soapy water). I'll try to dig up a few more close ups.. and there's a few thread here on hoists.

I like the setup and one person can do it. I think I may have paid $75 total w/ chain, hoist, s-hooks, bicycle hooks, insulation, recessed lighting fixture for hole in ceiling (for the :princess: ). The chain is for the joices to take the constant weight off of the winch and to store it.

Good luck and PM me if I can help.

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom