Top dead center before head install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wagonteeth

Hippoverde
Threads
Can someone clarify or confirm this for me?

Top dead center before the head goes on has piston 1 and 6 up, the crank key at the bottom and the pulley at 0 on the timing cover. I got this part.

Top dead center on the compression stroke doesn't apply until you have reinstalled the head and cams, and have them positioned with the two dot marks level with the outside of the head, and the single dots lined up inside the head and the tining sprocket remounted to the intake cam. Is this right?

This connection of the cams to the crank is what makes it the compression stroke, right?

Can someone clarify or confirm this for me?

Top dead center before the head goes on has piston 1 and 6 up, the crank key at the bottom and the pulley at 0 on the timing cover. I got this part.

Top dead center on the compression stroke doesn't apply until you have reinstalled the head and cams, and have them positioned with the two dot marks level with the outside of the head, and the single dots lined up inside the head and the tining sprocket remounted to the intake cam. Is this right?

This connection of the cams to the crank is what makes it the compression stroke, right?

Yes, you have it correct. The position of the pistons (1 & 6) at the top of their stroke could be either the end of the compression stroke or the beginning of the exhaust stroke. What determines this is Valve Timing (cam positions).

So....assuming you captured the chain (zip tied it to the cam sprocket) at top dead center on the compression stroke when removing the head, then you should be able to move the cams to the orientation you described above and you'll be good to go.

***The two 'single dot' marks will be aligned horizontally at the inboard position. The two 'double dot' marks will be aligned horizontally (180° opposed) to the outboard position.***

^^^^ This is simply returning the Cams to the position they were in before you removed the cam sprocket in preparation of removing the cams in order to remove the head.

You have it exactly right Sir.

Last edited:
As a side note...it would be helpful if everyone would use the same nomenclature when discussing cam position.

The cams are marked with alignment 'dots'.

These should ALWAYS be referred to as: Single Dot or Double Dot and nothing else.

With the word 'two' being used only to denote the number of the dots and not to differentiate between them.

Folks doing this for the first time can be easily confused when the term 'two dots' is used loosely. No one is more experienced working on the 1FZ-FE than Ryan (@OTRAMM) and even he (in his excellent videos) will sometimes use the term 'two dots' in a way that leaves the uninitiated wondering.

Anyway...I'm sure I've labored the point to excess.

Please everyone: 'Single dot & Double dot'. :wrench:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom