Tools needed to replace fusible link? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, it finally happened — I think my fusible link went back. Went to start the car and mid-crank, all electrical died. No electrical at all, after that.

Car is in a remote place and I’m bringing back my spare fusible link. But, not sure of two things:

(1) Where am I going to find it? Do I need any special tools to get access?
(2) What size nuts do I need to remove to replace the link? I have a socket set I’m bringing with me, but always worried you happen to be missing that one size.

Anyone happen to know re the two? I’m downloading the FSM right now but it likely will take most of the day to download.

Thanks, @scottyrana. Is it also a 10mm on the two ends opposite the battery terminal side as well?

As mentioned above, on the end at the block box there are a 10mm and a 12mm nuts, at the positive battery post there's another 12mm

Point is bring a few long box wrenches (10,12mm ) and a ratchet and sockets to disconnect the end of two of the fusible links from the little black box they're attached to. The third is connected to the engine harness via a harness connector, press in and pull the connectors apart.

Not too long ago I did this on a newer to me 80 and could not get the nuts off the little black AM1 box that two of the links connect to using box wrenches, some gorilla must have put them on previously, the nuts were really stuck.

If you have a cordless impact bring that also with a few sockets. When I couldn't budge the nuts from the small black box using the box wrenches
or ratchet I pulled out my Milwaukee Fuel compact cordless impact and zzziiippp they were off.

Last edited:
Also take a small flat-bladed screwdriver to assist in releasing the plug if necessary.

Look in the rear drivers side compartment. You have everything you need in the tool roll that came with the truck. Everything you need is there (if it’s still bungeed on the jack).

Here is a pic - easy as pie:

link.JPG

Well, it finally happened — I think my fusible link went back. Went to start the car and mid-crank, all electrical died. No electrical at all, after that.

Car is in a remote place and I’m bringing back my spare fusible link. But, not sure of two things:

(1) Where am I going to find it? Do I need any special tools to get access?
(2) What size nuts do I need to remove to replace the link? I have a socket set I’m bringing with me, but always worried you happen to be missing that one size.

Anyone happen to know re the two? I’m downloading the FSM right now but it likely will take most of the day to download.

The better question,,, why did the fusible fail? If it was a short, that is not fixed, the new one is also likely to fail.

^^^Excellent point^^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom