Tools for Land Cruiser 105 in Africa (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
scottandmegrambo.blogspot.com
Hey all, I'm new to the Land Cruiser scene. Actually, I've not ever driven one. BUT, my family and I are missionaries who are about to move to Uganda and there is a LC waiting for me (so far as I know it is an LC105 w/ diesel engine).

My question is this: Are there any tools unique/odd to the LC100 series that I should take with me? Obviously, I'm going to need Metric sockets/wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. But is there anything I might not think/know of that I would find myself needing to do basic maintenance and upkeep?

Thanks!

Not sure about the LC100, but I get by fine with:

- 10, 12, 14, 17mm sockets / wrenches.
- Adjustable wrench.
- hammer + really big hammer
- pry bar
- jumper cables
- multi-bit screw driver

You'll probably need a spare parts kit with oil, oil filter wrench, bulbs, gasket maker, etc. You may want a recovery kit too depending on where you plan on trekking & first aid kit.

Have fun in Africa :)

Ben

As well as learning how to change split rims, tires/tubes... I am not sure if your truck has it, but to be able to change your own tire is HUGE.

Oh yeah... start saving for a Landcruiser cause AFTER you have driven and used the truck some I am sure you will fall for the love of the truck.

Good luck with your trip and safe returns!

Take a few extra 12 and 14 sockets. Follow the Toyota service schedule for dirty-hot environments. Mike

Are you doing your own maintenance or will you have the locals do it? I'm in Sierra Leone doing probably similar things. I'm bringing my BJ60 over 'cause my pockets are not as deep as yours!!

Metric sockets and wrenches 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 22, 24, 27, 30, 32 and 36 plus the hub socket are what I have for my BJ60. Also inside and outside spring clip pliers, brass drifts and ball peen hammer for the front axle service.

I'd also recommend the shop manuals if you're doing your own work. If the locals are doing the work they'll do their own thing anyways so no need for manuals :) Personally, if you're at all mechanically inclined I STRONGLY recommend that you and you alone be the only mechanic. NO ONE goes under the hood of my Land Cruiser or turns a wrench on it but me if I can at all help it.

I'd make sure I had a few spare fuel filters on hand for the truck. We've had lots of trouble with dirty fuel here in Sierra Leone but unfortunately right now I'm driving a Ford F350 which is NOT the vehicle I recommend for Africa (it wasn't my idea to bring it here either).

As well as learning how to change split rims, tires/tubes... I am not sure if your truck has it, but to be able to change your own tire is HUGE.

Almost all the 105s I saw in Timor Leste had those nasty split rims. I hope you don't have them.

I'm bringing my BJ60 over 'cause my pockets are not as deep as yours!!

I'd take a LC that I know any day over one that had been used and worked on by many people.

Metric sockets and wrenches 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 22, 24, 27, 30, 32 and 36 plus the hub socket are what I have for my BJ60. Also inside and outside spring clip pliers, brass drifts and ball peen hammer for the front axle service.

Which is 54mm thin wall socket, I believe trailgear makes one for quite decent price (25e over here, probaly less over there), its real handy when taking front axle apart and saves alot of time....

Almost all the 105s I saw in Timor Leste had those nasty split rims. I hope you don't have them.

I'd take a LC that I know any day over one that had been used and worked on by many people.

John, I'm with you on the split rims. All the 'Cruisers over here have them as well. Lot's of 105's (yes the solid axle ones) at the mines here but even more '70 series pickups both older and newer.

A 'Cruiser that had been tinkered on in the developing world MUST be considered questionable and unreliable for at least a year of DD duty. I've seen so many goofy mechanical "band aids" in my time away both here in Africa and in Central America. That's why I said NO ONE touches my truck (Petra knows it too and she's called me once in Guatemala to ask if someone else who was standing there should look. I said "I'm on my way, keep the hood CLOSED" and she waited the hour for me to show up when the '55 had an air lock in the fuel system)!!

I didn't want to be the one to say I wouldn't want a second hand 'Cruiser in the developing world as my one and only vehicle. It might scare the poor guy away!!

Which is 54mm thin wall socket, I believe trailgear makes one for quite decent price (25e over here, probaly less over there), its real handy when taking front axle apart and saves alot of time....

Not sure if the 105 is 54mm or not so I didn't want to say.

Thanks

Thanks for all the responses. Unfortunately, I didn't have any input on the purchasing of this vehicle for us. Our team leaders thought they were going to have to sell their '95 Defender 110 when they got back for their second term, but our field director had had some work done on it, so they decided to keep it AFTER they bought the Land Cruiser. So as the new guy, we get what we get.

I don't know a ton about keeping cars running, or doing major repairs, but at the same time I'm fairly mechanically inclined and tend to trust myself a bit more than the alternative. Don't worry about scaring me off, we're stuck with it at this point; now I need to know how to work on it.

Hopefully I'll know some more specifics about it in a couple weeks when our team leader gets back home and can give me more details and some photos (he is less than mechanically inclined).

Thanks,
-Scott

If I had to choose between a 110 "Defender" and a questionable 105 Land Cruiser, I'd take the 105 any day. I 'd probably take a Lada before the 110. Although, I do like the looks of them - but that is about it. Now if you swap in a 60/70 series or Patrol drive train into a Land Rover, you'd could have a dependable rig.

Yes the landcruiser is hands down better vehicle for your situation. It's a Toyota, reliable and most parts everywhere.

Check this link for pre cleaning your fuel
awning

No body included a 13 mm socket or wrench in this tool list!
Someone may have lost a few M8 bolts along the way and could have replaced them with 13 mm heads instead!
Pry bars are nice to have for engine belt changes.

Another thing you may want is an OBDII code reader if the 105 is an OBDII compliant vehicle. You won't find a code reader otherwise (I probably have the only one in Sierra Leone)!!

I might be a tad biass but go for the 105. If it was properly maintained before and you continue to do so you will hardly ever need those tools mentioned above, for anything but routine maintenance. ;)

Find out if it has split rims and tube tires.... you will need a set of tyreplyers to change a flat and some spreader bars.

Just found out today that my team leader won't be back to Arua (our city) until the 25th. Guess I'll have to wait until then to find out anything more. I'll let you guys know more details when I have them, hopefully even a few pictures.

Update

Well, I found out yesterday that the Cruiser waiting for us is a 2006 HZJ105. So, no turbo, but being a 2006 maybe (hopefully) it hasn't had too much work done on it.

Any tips on where to find the FSM? I tried contacting Toyota and they told me I couldn't get it in the States before I leave. Are any of the 3rd party manuals worth anything (Haynes, Chilton, Ellery, etc)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom