Tools and Hands? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tony_Farson

Club President, Battle Born Cruisers
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
battleborncruisers.com
Alright Guys. So I got my bumper in. All 108lbs of it!

full

It turns out that I have to drop the fuel tank to drill and attach the mounting bracket to the frame. So I am looking for a transmission jack I could borrow for a few days so I can safely drop the tank and lift the bumper into place so I can bolt it up. Does anyone have a transmission jack I can borrow?

Also, would anyone be free this weekend to lend me a hand? I know it isn't a TLC, so I won't be offended if everyone shuns me. ;)

I can check with the wife. I also may have an trans jack, but it's been sitting outside since 2012 so I have no idea if it still works.

Thanks Lee! I may give it a shot if no one else has one closer.

I have a trans jack but it is the type that extends up like a lift. A 1/2 inch ratchet lifts it. It works great on t-cases and short manual transmissions. Not sure how it would work on something that long. I will be out of town til Sunday. But could help you in the afternoon. Let me know. If you want to pick up the jack I could leave it out on my trailer. Leaving at 3:30 today (WED.) so let me know quick.

I have a trans jack but it is the type that extends up like a lift. A 1/2 inch ratchet lifts it. It works great on t-cases and short manual transmissions. Not sure how it would work on something that long. I will be out of town til Sunday. But could help you in the afternoon. Let me know. If you want to pick up the jack I could leave it out on my trailer. Leaving at 3:30 today (WED.) so let me know quick.

Thank you sir. :) I think I missed my window, but go ahead and set it out for me. I'll need your address too. Can you text it to me?

@lelandEOD and @gregnash or anyone else with welding chops: I posted about this on a Bronco forum and a guy told me I don't have to drop the tank if I weld the bracket rather than bolting it to the frame. I don't know which would be easier though at this point. Welding seems it would be faster, I just don't have equipment or skills to get the job done. Do you have a welder that can properly weld 1/4" plate steel? If so, could I avail you of your welding skills? I only have a 220v outlet for my dryer at my house though. The Bronco drives fine though, so if you are willing and able, I would bring it to your place for the welding bit.

Here's a pic of the bracket...

IMG_6454.jpg

Sorry Tony, 1/4" is at the VERY top end of what my little welder would be able to do. And even at that we would probably have to do multiple passes to ensure it was a decent weld and at BEST from me it would be a Decent weld.

Other thing to think about is that you are welding right next to a fuel tank. While likelihood of a spark igniting I would be VERY wary of doing that myself.

Unless you have a 220V welder I'd either take it to a shop or stick to the bolts.

If you siphon out as much fuel as possible the tank won't weigh that much. You could also check for a drain plug.
I'd get the tank empty then use a couple of jack stands with shims to support it while you get the fasteners and hoses loose.

Bolt it in. I've welded bumpers before. I usually regretted it.

BLEH! :) I guess I'll drop the tank. Thanks guys.
Try draining first to make it easier on yourself. Busy the next couple weekends unless you want to try and do during a week night. Think you still have my number so shoot me a text. I can bring my floor jack to help if ya want.

I'd also second the recommendation to bolt those brackets to the frame. It will make future repair much easier.

Cool! We are having some medical issues with our daughter and I am not sure how the next week is going to go. I am still working on the bumper. I primed it yesterday, will do some touch up today and plan to spray Raptor tomorrow. If all goes well I'll be ready to mount it on Sunday, so that is great timing. I am hoping I won't have to disconnect and completely remove the tank to get those bolts in place. Knowing my luck though, I will and I'll break something else while I am at it! I'll keep you posted about Sunday and thanks for your offer to help!

@gregnash thanks for the offer and the tips. Hopefully this will be done by Monday and I can start reassembling the interior for the club run next Saturday.

Are we doing this today? I have the questionable transmission jack in the bed of my truck just in case. I’ll be in town this morning for a breakfast and then working at the machine shop for a couple hours on the gun project. After that, I want to do some long-range shooting but would rather wait until it warms up. Let me know if you still need a hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom