tool question for paint removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is going to be my best way to remove paint etc. so that I can do rust bullet all over my fj55? I live in an apartment but have a small garage to work in so that makes it harder.
Thankyou

Try "Aircraft Remover" available at auto paint stores. Cheaper are several kinds of general stripper from Home Depot.

Brian Macgyver said:
Try "Aircraft Remover" available at auto paint stores. Cheaper are several kinds of general stripper from Home Depot.

Ditto, this stuff works great.

Pretty cool to see the spider lines of rust on even a rust free hoood.

Also is this only available at specialty stores or will the local parts store have it?
Thanks

Bjordnolf said:
How do I use the stuff? Can I do it in a tiny garage?
Thanks

Using a cheap through away paint brush put a thick coat on a small area, let it work about 15 min. The paint will bubble up and scrape it off. Use a bunch of newspaper/cardboard/plastic to keep the mess in check. Protect yourself with long gloves, dishwashing type work well, good eye protection is mandatory you don't want this stuff in you eyes! When your done scrub the area well with water to remove all traces of remover.

Tools R Us said:
Using a cheap through away paint brush put a thick coat on a small area, let it work about 15 min. The paint will bubble up and scrape it off. Use a bunch of newspaper/cardboard/plastic to keep the mess in check. Protect yourself with long gloves, dishwashing type work well, good eye protection is mandatory you don't want this stuff in you eyes! When your done scrub the area well with water to remove all traces of remover.

What he said above plus keep it well ventilated...I would wash down the area with PPG Prep Solv, just prior to the water wash down. But that may be a lingering step from when I used to strip paint off fiberglass bodies. You can get industrial strength strippers at autobody suppliers (look in yellow pages). What I use/used and still see around here locally is called Talstrip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom